• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Utility of AOC

54/102 CEF

Inactive
Reaction score
The article should be a wake up call - absolutely no CF comments after the service person has departed.

As for AOC being a killer course ----- I don't think so.

(Moderator edit to correct title after split.)

54/102 CEF said:
As for AOC being a killer course ----- I don't think so.

Really?  You must be superman then, because everyone I've spoken to said that it's a bear!  The saying, "Friends don't let friends do AOC," comes to mind.

As for how the article should be a wake-up call, how so?  What do you mean, absolutely no CF comments?  Are you talking from people like us on the G&M site, or official reps?  Perhaps in order to respect the family of the deceased they felt it only prudent to react the same as they would for any other death in theatre immediately after the incident.

Strike said:
Really?  You must be superman then, because everyone I've spoken to said that it's a bear!  The saying, "Friends don't let friends do AOC," comes to mind.

/off topic rant

AOC is pointless; lots of busy work but little to stretch the mind.  Anyone who grinds away will pass; if you reach ENDEX you're a grad regardless of your competence.  Since no one who reaches the end fails, there are no Fs.  Since everyone passes, no one can be given a C-, in theory the lowest mark, since that would show "Should have failed, but we let them slip through.".  Since the highest possible mark is a B, and less than 1 in 20 will get that mark, you end up with almost all the course crammed into "C" - but the DS will lie to you and claim there's a difference between a "strong C" and a "weak C".

A true staff course with standards would be a welcome change; the current one is a waste of everyone's time and effort.  Close the fort and turn it into condos.

ref AOC - strong study habits are a must - many are coming from gung ho short term performance = leader and can't think long term in the time they are on the course. AOC shows you planning methodology for virtually anything you could face as a staff member from a battle group. Once thats complete you have to practise it.

No more no less. So if every one passes that re-affirms what I wrote.

To put some firing standards into it would take out 20% easy.

dapaterson said:
/off topic rant

AOC is pointless; lots of busy work but little to stretch the mind.  Anyone who grinds away will pass; if you reach ENDEX you're a grad regardless of your competence.  Since no one who reaches the end fails, there are no Fs.

There are students who do not "grind away" and reach the end, some of whom are encouraged to never return to the fort.  It is but a stepping stone and not a pinnacle in a career.  For those who slip and fall/fail, some are given additional time + retraining and then re-attempt to accomplish the step again. Pointless? Prima donna show?  Standardized process = similar results = stepping stone = getting everyone to the same level of planning knowledge and competence.

For those who have not work closely with the KIFC it is quite a large staff that act as an info/intel sieve and she was not the first Canadian to employed in it, perhaps the first Int Offr at the rank of Maj.  It is a link in an important intel/info process, therefore an important job but not a pinnacle.

dapaterson said:
/off topic rant

AOC is pointless; lots of busy work but little to stretch the mind.  Anyone who grinds away will pass; if you reach ENDEX you're a grad regardless of your competence.  Since no one who reaches the end fails, there are no Fs.  Since everyone passes, no one can be given a C-, in theory the lowest mark, since that would show "Should have failed, but we let them slip through.".  Since the highest possible mark is a B, and less than 1 in 20 will get that mark, you end up with almost all the course crammed into "C" - but the DS will lie to you and claim there's a difference between a "strong C" and a "weak C".

A true staff course with standards would be a welcome change; the current one is a waste of everyone's time and effort.  Close the fort and turn it into condos.

Moderators - would a thread split be in order?

I'd like to address the nonsense quoted above.

I've just finished my third year as a member of the AOC Directing Staff, have instructed on eight iterations of Tutorial One and two of Tutorial Two, and served as a mentor to battle group and brigade headquarters staffs during Exercise FINAL DRIVE (the nine-day capstone exercise for the AOC) on two occasions.

AOC students are indeed very busy, and deservedly so, as they have a lot of ground to cover in a brief period of time. The typical combat arms student begins the course with a fairly solid background in sub-sub-unit and sub-unit doctrine and TTPs; the non-combat arms officers less than that.  In 18 weeks, they must progress to the point where they can serve as competent staff officers in battle group and formation headquarters in all kinds of operations (conventional warfighting, counter-insurgency, peace support, domestic, etc.).  That requires a capacity for hard work and to grow intellectually.  I see that growth on every course - the men and women that leave the Fort are not the same as those that enter.

Since the "train all" approach to the AOC was adopted, a small number of officers have failed.  This usually happens quite early in the course, during Tutorial One, as that is where the performance and enabling objective gateways lie (exams on friendly doctrine and opposing force doctrine, as well as the written estimate of the situation and operations order exercises).  I'm sad to say that I've been unable to help two of my students achieve the required performance standard, and they were returned to their units as training failures.

Therefore, if you have reached the end of the course, you have demonstrated the minimum levels of competence required to make a positive contribution as a staff officer in a battle group or formation headquarters.  That's the AOC's remit and we fill that remit very well.  Battle group commanders, commanders of joint task forces at home and overseas, and the CLS keep telling us that.

That said, a C- is a pass.  It means that you have met the minimum standard of performance required to complete the course and be granted the qualification "plsc".  However, course reports make the employability and potential of graduates clear to their chains of command and applicable promotion boards.  Promotion boards look at the AOC course report seriously and, depending on MOC, at the letter grade.

Finally, the grade distribution over the last three years has been roughly 10% B, another  25-30% C+, and the rest C.  C- grades are given out sparingly.

In summary, we do have standards, we DS do enforce them, some do not make the grade and leave as failures, and general officers employing AOC graduates on operations want more of them, not less.

Any questions?

Yep- just one:

Why is an "A" grade impossible to obtain?

Surely, if you are following the principles espoused in CFITES (which applies to all Schools, CF-wide), about 10% of your students should get an A, about 25% a "B" and the rest that pass, some form of a C.

Are you sure that you don't have a Standards problem?

Forgive my ignorance, but after some searching, I'm still not clear on a few things. At what point in their career does an officer take AOC? Is it mostly dependent on whether or not they have been selected to fill a staff role?

They explained to us at the school that an AOC B = normal A.  Anyway, I digress.

Very good post by The Anti-Royal.  The write ups are taken seriously, and though I eeked out a C+, I was very pleased with my write up.  (That's "Cee-Plus", not a typo for 'Cee-minus', just to be clear ;D)  And I do see the difference between those with plsc and those without in terms of staff work and duties.  Huge difference.  Without going into details, I had a staff of roughly 8 fellow officers, none of whom are plsc.  It was a challenging road to conduct OPP with them, but I was able to teach them "somewhat" the process, and through experience, we pulled it off.  Having said that, there were some long nights!

That's all for now.

SeaKingTacco said:
Yep- just one:

Why is an "A" grade impossible to obtain?

Surely, if you are following the principles espoused in CFITES (which applies to all Schools, CF-wide), about 10% of your students should get an A, about 25% a "B" and the rest that pass, some form of a C.

Are you sure that you don't have a Standards problem?

An "A" isn't impossible, but show me a Capt who is ". . . capable of executing the skill at two rank levels up" (i.e, at the rank of LCol) and I'll show you an "A".  Anecdotal evidence is that only two of the thousands of officers who have graduated the AOC (or its equivalent) since the establishment of the Canadian Army Staff College in 1946 have received that grade.

On your second and third points, I can't answer with authority as I'm not employed in standards.  The two courses that I've attended at CF educational (vice training) institutions have not followed the CFITES guidelines that you've cited.  CLFCSC uses letter grades (F, C-, C, C+, B and A) and associated word pictures (fail, met minimum standard, met standard, exceeded standard, mastered and capable of executing the skill at two rank levels up respectively); CFC uses two word pictures (strong pass and pass, if I recall correctly) but no letter grade.

I’ve looked around at all the angels standing fearfully at the entrance to this discussion so I shall rush into this newly split off tangent.

In my experience with staff training – general and technical, at home and abroad, but 35+ years ago – I came to believe that almost everyone selected for staff training was (presumed and de facto) able to successfully complete the course - having demonstrated a satisfactory level of skill and knowledge.

Back in my day, when the earth was still cooling, not all staff courses had alpha-numeric grades. One of the more difficult courses had three standards: passed, attended and did not complete. Passed was pretty obvious, attended was for foreign students, from third world countries, but, almost every year, one or two “normal” students ended up with an attended because, I suppose, in the very closing days of the course the DS decided that he (we were all “he” in those days), despite having completed the entire course, did not quite measure up. “Did  not complete” was the result for 5-10% - no more – of my colleagues.

There was no guarantee that one could not be removed from the course and returned to one’s unit during the very last week – and I recall at least one case of that happening. But, by and large, almost everyone who came through the front gates as a candidate – as a result of a pretty careful selection process – walked back out through them as a graduate. We did not think a 95+% pass rate was out of line (140+ graduates out of 150 who began the course). Most failures were not, evidently, solely academic or solely “guts” and endurance. Most failures, if my memory serves, were a result of a combination of factors and a few stick in my mind as long, difficult, slow motion train wrecks as we watched a colleague unravel in public. Illness was very often a major contributing factor to a “did not complete” result.

Part of the staff training process involved helping us to learn how to manage and work through stress. I recall an introductory briefing in which we were shown a graph which told us where the “stress” would be introduced in the course. There were a series of increasingly stressful peaks over the 10+ months, interspersed with some increasingly smaller ‘valleys’ of relative tranquility. The aim was to ensure that we were, to use Field Marshal Wavell’s expression “robust” enough “to withstand the (mental and psychological) shocks of war.” Stress, or, rather the ability to work effectively under intense stress, is part of a military officer’s stock in trade. The psc one earns at Camberly, Kingston, Shrivenham or Toronto is not just an indicator of knowledge, it also indicates that the staff college graduate has demonstrated ability to work under pressure. “Mental endurance” used to be one of the attributes against which officers were measured. In my view it’s a good one, an important one.

Good, comprehensive, tough staff courses are beneficial. But the “toughness” of a course does not demand a high failure rate. The toughest course will have a high success rate so long as the selection process is sound.

My guesstimate is that only about one in four captains is able to pass the full staff college process – which in my view needs to include an army operational staff course to train unit operations officers and junior staff officers for brigades, a technical staff course (without which, I believe one cannot be an effective senior officer) and a joint staff course designed to produce mid-rank and senior staff officers in senior headquarters. I have no idea how many army captains are selected, now, for staff training but I’m guessing that 30 year olds in 2009 are no “better” or “worse” than they were in 1979 so my one in four guess stands.

Midnight Rambler said:
They explained to us at the school that an AOC B = normal A.  Anyway, I digress.

Very good post by The Anti-Royal.  The write ups are taken seriously, and though I eked out a C+, I was very pleased with my write up.  (That's "Cee-Plus", not a typo for 'Cee-minus', just to be clear ;D) 

I eked out a "B" (on my first of two courses), but I don't think the Regiment noticed because it was awarded by two black hats.  So I'll just claim that the Minerva was the notable marker I left behind (twice).  ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
I eked out a "B" (on my first of two courses), but I don't think the Regiment noticed because it was awarded by two black hats.  So I'll just claim that the Minerva was the notable marker I left behind (twice).  ;D

Damn Navy guys.    ;D

Edward:

The Kingston course has no selection - it's "All Capts shall attend."  Thus, volume of throughput has become an important consideration.

The course cannot be sufficiently demanding, as that would jeopardize throughput.  Weak students are given excessive assistance, rather than permitting them to fail and be known as a weak commodity.  (In other words, we're insufficiently Darwinian - without selection prior to starting the course, selection should be done in the course).

Reaching the end is irrelevant about ability - it merely shows an ability to endure, and possibly an ability to convince one's peers to carry one along.  If there is any doubt about ability, the mark should be an "F" - not a "weak C".

Note the Anti-Royal's comment - roughly two thirds of students are all lumped together as "C" students.  Think about that rationally for a moment - is that plausible?  Get one individual with the slightest grip of statistics on staff to think about this.  Clearly, the college exists to perpetuate the college - and there needs to be some sort of course, so AOC exists.

Either replace AOC with a true staff course with pre-selection  - and then demand a real standard of performance, or abandon it.  The current model is a tremendous waste of resources with little value added.

I guess I took too long editing my post - synopsis - I agree with Mr. Paterson.

Since my comments have been bumped from the main thread, yes I have a question or two for the Anti-Royal et al:

If this is the rating scale - (fail, met minimum standard, met standard, exceeded standard, mastered and capable of executing the skill at two rank levels up respectively)- how is this rationalized?  The minimum standard should be "the standard", so this C- just allows the DS some wiggly room to "pass" someone who did not meet "the standard" and make sure his CO and future merit boards know it.

Is it suggesting that if you receive an "A" you are exempt CFC.  The DS are Majs who have not "proven" their ability to work at a LCol level and yet they are expecting a rare Capt to do so?

I fail to see how a standards cell can continue to have two standards - a minimum and another level, the ratings are saying exceeded the minimum standard but met the standard, then exceeded the standard above the minimum standard.  Why not be rational - are they ready to fulfill the duties for which they are being trained - yes or no. 

Many (civilian and military) institutions have adopted three "rational" ratings - did not meet the standard ergo fail, met the standard, exceeded the standard.

I'm glad I did my staff training outside Canada!!

The Staff College in Kingston is a critical institution that begins the transformation of an officer from his comfort zone of the low-level tactical fight at company level into an officer that understands the larger tactical picture and can operate within a staff employing OPP. To me, it is what enables our officer corps to be a truly professional officer corps.

The failure rate of this course should not be seen determining whether the course achieves its aim. Even with "all means all", officers on AOC should have a reservoir of experience and training to draw upon - I wouldn't expect them to fail. I took a similar course with the US Army and I do not recall any candidates failing - I still wouldn't call it an easy course. I recently took the Combat Team Commander's Course and we did not receive grades nor did anyone fail. The course was still challenging.

Getting stressed about Cs adn Bs doesn't really achieve anything, either as a student on AOC or a critic of the institution. As has been said it is the narrative that really matters.

My impression is that the Army is happy with the standard of the graduates.

Michael O'Leary said:
I eked out a "B"

So, you really got an "A" and Rambler really got a "B+" ...

That's what I'm getting from this thread.  :-\

ArmyVern said:
So, you really got an "A" and Rambler really got a "B+" ...

That's what I'm getting from this thread.  :-\
Then that means you have "met the standard" and get a C-.  No, wait, that's a C.  But a "C" is better in language profile than an "A", but.....AARRRGH!  :-\

In any event, I understand that AOC has once again reverted to merited placement.  Also understand that when it went to "train all", the AJOSQ ("Army Junior Officer Staff Qualification") had to be completed as a prerequisite.  I understand this to mean OPME, Army Tactical Operations' Course and a bunch of other stuff.

But, as said, graduates of AOC can be employed as staffs on either BG or formation level HQs.  Some may be the "S-2 Plans 2", and others may be "G3". There are a variety of positions within HQs, and AOC only gets you in the door.  Your performance will determine your position within an HQ.

Midnight Rambler said:
Then that means you have "met the standard" and get a C-.  No, wait, that's a C.  But a "C" is better in language profile than an "A", but.....AARRRGH!  :-\

Ahhhh soooo!!

It's a course where, if you get a "C" which equates "met the standard" ... which means you pass ...

AND, it's also a course where if you get a "C-" ... which must equate "met lower than the standard" ... you still pass!! Argue all anyone wants, but if you did not "meet the standard" --- you "met lower than it" <--- common sense yes?  ???

The standard IS the standard, or so I thought until this thread. If one does not "meet the standard" ...that should equil a "fail".

Gotta tell you, I'm with dapaterson on this one; especially if one is getting a pass for meeting a standard that is lower that "met the standard".

Apparently, the "standard line" is flexible --- dependant upon a whim --- or so this thread has me thinking.

ArmyVern said:
Ahhhh soooo!!

It's a course where, if you get a "C" which equates "met the standard" ... which means you pass ...

AND, it's also a course where if you get a "C-" ... which must equate "met lower than the standard" ... you still pass!! Argue all anyone wants, but if you did not "meet the standard" --- you "met lower than it" <--- common sense yes?  ???

The standard IS the standard, or so I thought until this thread. If one does not "meet the standard" ...that should equil a "fail".

Gotta tell you, I'm with dapaterson on this one; especially if one is getting a pass for meeting a standard that is lower that "met the standard".

Apparently, the "standard line" is flexible --- dependant upon a whim --- or so this thread has me thinking.
You have me thoroughly confused.  Not your fault, after all, I was confused when I was first told the rating system for AOC.  Here's how I translated it (in my own mind):
A: You are Patton mixed with Guderian, Scipio Africanus and Rommel (Nobody got the "A")
B: Exceeded the standard
C+: Met the standard without difficulty
C: Met the standard
C-: Met the standard with difficulty

This isn't how I think it should be, ought to be or anything, just how I interpreted the rating system.

Back