• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC and Tinnitus

hey Occam,my audiologist sent the receipts in to VAC.do you know if I do have to call a BPA lawyer etc?or will VAC the connection with the h/automaker order and adjust my settlement accordingly?any advice would be greatly appreciated.it also took from last September 9Th/2014 until July 22/2015 and a few "ass kicking" emails to get my case going...really disturbed by the whole process.

I can say that in my own case, VAC did not proactively adjust anything as far as the disability rate went.  It took a Departmental Review at the minimum, raised by BPA.  There's no harm at all in calling BPA, there are no limits on the number of DRs you can have.

Occam,so if I don't contact BPA then I shouldn't expect to see any action on the
Increased award from 3% to the 10 I am entitled. WOW...what a system...we fight our own countrymen for what we are obviously entitled to...and they set on their asses and play with veterans lives and futures... Is it really 2015 and is this the canada I signed and swore to protect and serve?

I'm not sure of the inner workings at VAC, to be honest - all I can tell you is that I had to do several DRs between 2006 and 2010 to get where I am.  It could be that the people paying out the incoming treatment bills aren't tasked with the job of triggering a review of your disability level.  Things may have changed since then, but the call to BPA is a free one, and they can advise you better than anyone else.

thanks for all the advice Occam.i sent a private message to BPA on my vac account and i'll wait and see what I get for a response from that,if no go than i'll make the call.i'll be glad when the world markets finally collapse and I can go back to growing a garden and raising some cattle.

I'm in the process of fighting my denial for tinnitus and hearing loss. I was checked out by an audiologist for hearing loss but she sent me to my GP for the tinnitus. After reading this thread it seems I need tk get an audiologist to do the tinnitus paperwork.  I have constant ringing in both ears, which makes me have to turn the volume up on the TV to hear it. I worked on the ramp for 15 of my 20 years and the last 5 were flying on the Airbus with no hearing protection at all.

I called the BPA here in Edmonton and was told they will start right away on getting the info they need. I asked her about not having tinnitus when I retired in 2009, I was told tinnitus doesnt come on overnight less you have ruptured an eardrum or something similar. When I told her my trade she laughed and said Traffic tech was one of the trades with the worst hearing in the Military.

Lets see what happens.

From today's Halifax Chronicle Herald.  http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1332460-hearing-damage-most-common-disability-in-canadian-forces

I have the new ones with Bluetooth. They are nice when driving, you can talk while driving and don't have to hold the phone to your ear but in my case, I find they still make my T louder and now I'm starting to hear a low hum, more like an electric motor and the sound of a chirping bird. It's a pain in the ass I tell you.

I just got 11% for tinnitus and 5% for hearing loss. I only had 3 hearing test over 2 years to confirm. The last one was the one done by Helix sealed the deal.

Short experience: I once helped a RCN vet who served on a ship for about 4 yrs in the late fifties w/ his claim for tinnitus. Anyone who knows many seniors can tell you that tinnitus is very very common in the older generation, vet or not. Wasn't very confident that his claim would be successful, but he got a good percentage on his first try. Was very pleased for him.

bwatch said:
I have the new ones with Bluetooth. They are nice when driving, you can talk while driving and don't have to hold the phone to your ear but in my case, I find they still make my T louder and now I'm starting to hear a low hum, more like an electric motor and the sound of a chirping bird. It's a pain in the *** I tell you.

Blackwatch, do you think the low freq hum is from the maskers themselves (themself? That doesn't look right ..anyway) or are they not quite the right frequency for you? I'm waiting for my appt with the audiologist to try some out. The bluetooth would be handy as I do a lot of driving.

Thanks.

You can also apply for the device that attaches to your TV or Tuner so that your Bluetooth hearing aids will get the audio directly.

If your Shaw/Bell/whatever cable/satellite receiver is Bluetooth enabled, you can pair your hearing aids. I have DISH which is enabled.

Anyone have issues being assessed by the CF specialty clinic? I've had tinnitus for a while now and decided to get hearing tested after I was sitting in front of my supervisor who was talking at a lower tone and all I could see was his lips moving but couldn't hear a thing. This has been going on for a while with my hearing and I had to ask multiple people to repeat themselves because I can't hear them very well. I went to the clinic and did the hearing testing,but the test they did wasn't exactly simulate in the work setting where there is some background noise and I seem to have issues hearing. The CF test said I've had no hearing loss. Should I look into doing a hearing test at a private clinic since the CF clinic did say they don't test all the spectrum.

meni0n said:
Anyone have issues being assessed by the CF specialty clinic? I've had tinnitus for a while now and decided to get hearing tested after I was sitting in front of my supervisor who was talking at a lower tone and all I could see was his lips moving but couldn't hear a thing. This has been going on for a while with my hearing and I had to ask multiple people to repeat themselves because I can't hear them very well. I went to the clinic and did the hearing testing,but the test they did wasn't exactly simulate in the work setting where there is some background noise and I seem to have issues hearing. The CF test said I've had no hearing loss. Should I look into doing a hearing test at a private clinic since the CF clinic did say they don't test all the spectrum.

A standard hearing test will not detect anything but hearing loss.  You need to ask them to refer you to an audiologist for a tinnitus assessment, which is much different than a simple hearing test.  I have tinnitus and only mild hearing loss when measured by the standard hearing test.  You have to go back and insist on a tinnitus assessment.

meni0n,  go to your mil doc and ask for referal.  If he/she gives you a hard time, then ask that they put a 'refusal' note in your file.
Worked for me, though I had to use it only couple of times with mil doctors.  Most of them were good.

After having been in denial for a number of years I had a hearing test in September and submitted a claim for both tinnitus and hearing loss a few weeks later. My hearing loss was low to moderate in both ears while the tinnitus was in my left ear only. The folks at the private clinic assured me my claim would be approved as I am a gunner, but I was dubious.

On our return from Arizona at the end of March I found a large envelope from VAC. Before opening it, I told me wife that my claim was no doubt refused and it will be interesting to see what comes next. The first thing I saw when I opened the envelop was the statement that my claim was approved and I would be receiving a cash award of a bit over $30K. (on reflection this was for both hearing loss and tinnitus.) A letter with my VAC card and other paperwork followed, but they wanted another hearing test and a prescription for hearing aids from our family doctor before they would approve my hearing aids. All that is submitted now, so it is just a matter of a few weeks wait now.

I didn't have any prior docs for tinnitus or hearing loss. I served with the arty as well, but my favourable decision was based off of my location in relation to the air field when I was deployed. Go figure. Submitted the paperwork in October '15 and in late February '16 decision paperwork was received.

I have faith in the system, but they are a gov't department and the gov't does move at the speed of smell. If any of you have issues with VAC, there's a lot of great advice in this thread and others. Be sure to talk to your local advocate when you are completing your paperwork.

Old Sweat said:
After having been in denial for a number of years I had a hearing test in September and submitted a claim for both tinnitus and hearing loss a few weeks later. My hearing loss was low to moderate in both ears while the tinnitus was in my left ear only. The folks at the private clinic assured me my claim would be approved as I am a gunner, but I was dubious.

On our return from Arizona at the end of March I found a large envelope from VAC. Before opening it, I told me wife that my claim was no doubt refused and it will be interesting to see what comes next. The first thing I saw when I opened the envelop was the statement that my claim was approved and I would be receiving a cash award of a bit over $30K. (on reflection this was for both hearing loss and tinnitus.) A letter with my VAC card and other paperwork followed, but they wanted another hearing test and a prescription for hearing aids from our family doctor before they would approve my hearing aids. All that is submitted now, so it is just a matter of a few weeks wait now.

I drooped the requested documents off at the clinic yesterday morning just after 0800. The clinic staff told me it would take two to four weeks for VAC to process it, but this afternoon they phoned to say it was all approved. So I am being fitted at 1300 on 19 April. Can't complain about that!

Should I initiate a claim now? I didn't know proximity to the airfield could be used as a factor. When I was deployed, I was staying in the first row of tents right next to the runway.

On the minus side, it's one less excuse for not hearing your wife when she wants you to do something...

Back