The Bread Guy
- Reaction score
Goals from the Mandate Letter (16 Dec 2021 version also attached in case link doesn't work):
I ask that you achieve results for Canadians by delivering the following commitments.
- Continue to reduce wait times and ensure Veterans and their families receive decisions on applications in a timely manner, including by investing resources to hire case workers and adjudicators, enhance disability benefit processing and advance innovative digital solutions.
- In collaboration with the Minister of National Defence, ensure support is available to Veterans affected by sexual misconduct in the military, including access to peer support services and services provided by the Sexual Misconduct Resource Centre.
- Ensure the benefit system and services are responsive to and meet the needs of underrepresented Veterans, including women, LGBTQ2, racialized and Indigenous Veterans. This will include the use of disaggregated research and data to provide tailored programs and services.
- Work to reduce barriers to accessing services for Indigenous Veterans, including improving outreach to Indigenous communities and expanding the offering of culturally appropriate services.
- Launch a National Veterans Employment Strategy, with a goal of ensuring all Veterans find meaningful work on release from the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), leveraging skills and qualifications acquired while in service. This includes working to improve qualification recognition.
- Continue to work with the Minister of National Defence to simplify processes, improve service delivery and strengthen transition services by enhancing shared online tools, increasing data sharing and improving transition support.
- With the support of Minister of Mental Health and Addictions, ensure CAF members and Veterans have access to adequate mental health resources, services and training programs tailored to their specific needs.
- Ensure that modern Veterans, as well as women, Indigenous, racialized and LGBT2Q Veterans from all conflicts are recognized and commemorated and that we recognize the valuable contributions of Canadian Armed Forces Veterans who have served our country in domestic operations such as wildfires, ice storms and floods.
- Support the Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion to accelerate our Government’s commitment to end chronic homelessness among Veterans through the Rapid Housing Initiative, a new rent supplement program, wrap around supports and a dedicated stream of funding for Veterans within the National Housing Co-Investment Fund.