• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC Return to Lifetime Pensions Discussion

You also need to be aware there is no lump sum for vets who have previously taken a lump sum. This is stated on there page in the Q &A however VAC did a poor job of separating vets who have received a lump sum versus vets putting a new claim in April 1st. If you already received a lump sum you get monthly only. If you have a new claim you get the choice.

This has also been confirmed by VAC a few times by those that ask. Some have received responses of you get a choice but again things are poorly worded and the VAC employee probably doesn't realize the vet asking already has a lump sum.

Question for Teager or anyone that knows -

What about someone that recently got a lump sum, but appealed the decision? Does that mean that if they are approved for a higher % after 1 Apr 19, it will now only be available as a small monthly amount?

Thanks

standingdown said:
Question for Teager or anyone that knows -

What about someone that recently got a lump sum, but appealed the decision? Does that mean that if they are approved for a higher % after 1 Apr 19, it will now only be available as a small monthly amount?

Thanks

I'll have to check I know it mentions something about that in the Bill for the PFL so can't say just yet on what happens to appeals come April 1st.

So can someone explain the reason persons that took the lump sum option now will on receive the monthly payment. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just out to lunch, or the only one in step.? :rofl:

Teager said:
I'll have to check I know it mentions something about that in the Bill for the PFL so can't say just yet on what happens to appeals come April 1st.

Ack. Thanks for the lead, I will try to dig through it and find the answer.

and cowboy...I'm willing to bet that VAC was advised that those who already have had lump sums, would be more inclined to take lump sums in the future. Hence they wrote that into policy in order to delay the cash flow out of government coffers...

I can't find anywhere where it says we won't be able to take the additional money as a lump-sum. I sent a message through my vac and was told any remaining balance can be taken as a lump sum. I did mention I already took a lump sum previously.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I have always been under the impression that you are entitled to lum sum also. When I have talked to DVA it's never an issue when asked about it. Thought something change. Thx  :subbies:

Well i also got conflicting reports but Ill post what I got through my vac account when i asked a few questions.

Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services.

I am sorry to hear that you have received conflicting information
about the new Pension for Life Program. I will attempt to clarify
based on the questions that you have submitted:

1) The Pain and Suffering Compensation will replace the Disability
Award program starting on April 1, 2019. Clients who apply for
a new condition and receive a favorable decision will be given
the option of a monthly payment for life or an option to cash-out
for a lump sum payment. However, clients who have previously
received a Disability Award between 2006 and March 31, 2019 and
are found to be eligible for an additional monthly amount, this
will not be available as a lump sum payment.

2) Clients who receive CIA will be eligible to receive Additional
Pain and Suffering Compensation (APSC), which can not be cashed
out into a lump sum payment. The other change will be that while
CIA payments are taxable, PSC payments will be non-taxable.

3) The CIAS will be included in the new Additional Pain and Suffering
Compensation (APSC) Program. This benefit will not be eligible
to be cashed out as a lump sum payment.

4) If you are approved for future disability conditions, on or
after April 1, 2019, you can choose from either a monthly payment
for the remainder of your life
or a lump sum cash out. If you decide to change your mind in
the future and you wish to stop receiving a monthly payment,
you can request to receive the balance of the PSC in a lump sum
payment.

I hope this provides clarification for you on the new Pension
for Life Program. Please let us know if you require any further
clarification.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
us again via My VAC Account or our toll-free number, 1-866-522-2122.

Sincerely,

Mass Di Geronimo

National Contact Centre Network Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada

So Basically what they are saying is that if you are a NVC vet that has gotten a lump sum already and you actually qualify to get more, you cannot take it as a lump sum. Only a monthly payment option.
If you are getting CIA now, it will be deemed to be APSC and that is not eligible for a lump sum payout. The only lump sums it seems they are giving out are if you have a new claim then you have the option of a lump sum or monthly yet again.

The above has always been my understanding of the benefits. Although not very clear it's also written the same on VACs Q&A page.

The examples on the Q&A page of vets receiving 20% 40% and 100% lump sums and then show what they receive for a monthly pension have been removed. Maybe VAC is making the examples more clear?

This is absolutely ridiculous.
It make sense for someone who is going to be receiving the maximum each month not to take a lump sum,  but for someone like me who received a lump sum at 15% 9 years ago. Based on life expectancy, I still have 50 years or so left.
so I going to get like 80$ a month for the rest of my life? That won't even cover my cellphone bill. I could really use that influx of a cash out right now.
We would have the option.

I had thought because I had taken the lump sum that it would have also come in a lump sum. I have given up asking y because know body knows. They are  just told that that's the  way it's coming.

cowboy628 said:
I had thought because I had taken the lump sum that it would have also come in a lump sum. I have given up asking y because know body knows. They are  just told that that's the  way it's coming.

I got that directly from VAC on the phone today.

It might be something that is changing but I highly doubt it.

Looking forward to that 130$ a month. Going to make a huge impact on my life, thanks Justin.

Howie1 said:
1) The Pain and Suffering Compensation will replace the Disability
Award program starting on April 1, 2019. Clients who apply for
a new condition and receive a favorable decision will be given
the option of a monthly payment for life or an option to cash-out
for a lump sum payment. However, clients who have previously
received a Disability Award between 2006 and March 31, 2019 and
are found to be eligible for an additional monthly amount, this
will not be available as a lump sum payment.

2) Clients who receive CIA will be eligible to receive Additional
Pain and Suffering Compensation (APSC), which can not be cashed
out into a lump sum payment. The other change will be that while
CIA payments are taxable, PSC payments will be non-taxable.

3) The CIAS will be included in the new Additional Pain and Suffering
Compensation (APSC) Program. This benefit will not be eligible
to be cashed out as a lump sum payment.

Alright, Well I just left a meeting with my CM. Who, is good, but doesnt know Jack about the PFL because she chose not to do the course, and stated, WE dont know the numbers yet.

She did however, shed some light.

WRT to point 1
She said she didnt know, and when i showed her the spread sheet from previous pages, she said it looked correct, She is aware that I have been Paid out 100%, and that a Lump Sum is NOT available for those already paid out to 100%, however, those that are less then 100%, can by all means take a lump sum payment.
IE- Someone pensioned 50%, (using my case scenario and dates, just took away 50% of each disability.) it came to this

So with my timeline cutting the numbers in half, that person will have the option of $297 a month, OR a Lump sum of $167 696 that keeps them under 365000 (what ever it is for that year-342K ish) 

That in my eyes, Creates another tier in an already tier based system, and the only way to alleviate that would be to allow the full lump sum, as a case by case basis, )ie- Someone that puts the claim in at 50 years old, would get less then someone at 30 simply due to their "Life expectancy" counter measure. Even then your pissing people off there that are from around when centurion was a rank. Which isnt fair, I agree. So youd have to set another limit on it, whatever arbitrary number they would come up with.

Im sorry, but $300 a month, or $170k? Im taking the 170k, every single time. Who wouldn't? $300 inst even a car payment for 5 years, and you can buy that car outright, cash and cheaper, and invest that $300 into a RRSP, saving you at tax time, as well as retirement.

She also had a laugh when they did some peoples worksheets, and it showed to a $2 check a month. Im sorry, but that is insulting.

She politely said it was sugar coated shit.

Point 2,
She investigated this prior to the meeting, knowing I would ask, because we are seeking Grade 2 for myself. And there is no current or up to date grading system, so it seems if you catch the adjudicator on a good day, you can get whatever grade they please. They were told to stop using the old grading system/formats several years ago.

I currently am CIA Grade 1 or 3(whatever the lowest level is)
The APSC replaces the CIA, and WE will lose money,
Currently it is taxed, the APSC is not. Therefore they are using that logic that, $620 taxed as of jan 1st turns into $500 tax free.
They have said multiple times that no one will be short changed or lose money. Which, is a crock of shit

Seems they revamped the FAQ page

WHAT ABOUT VETERANS WHO RECEIVED A LUMP SUM DISABILITY AWARD PAYMENT BEFORE APRIL 1, 2019?
Members and Veterans who received a Disability Award (DA) may benefit from the new Pain and Suffering Compensation (PSC), by way of an additional monthly amount. This monthly amount is paid to the member or Veteran, and is an amount paid above and beyond the DA lump sum they received. Those who are eligible for this payment will have the calculation automatically done and their individualized amount will be payable for life. No re-assessment of the member's or Veteran's extent of disability is required.

I'm now just as confused as vac if we'll be able to take the extra amount as a lump sum or not.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Back