• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VE day

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
VE Day 65th anniversary: Prince leads tributes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8665112.stm

The Prince of Wales has led veterans in a service marking 65 years since the end of World War II in Europe.

The national ceremony at the Cenotaph in London commemorates VE Day - declared on 8 May 1945.

The Prince, accompanied by the Duchess of Cornwall, laid a wreath ahead of a reception at Horse Guards Parade.

The leaders of the three main political parties took time away from negotiating the formation of the new government to attend the ceremony.

Bittersweet

Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg, who stood side-by-side as the service took place, also laid wreaths.

The Duchess of Cornwall, who fractured her leg last month, was taken to her seat in a wheelchair.

About 2,000 veterans, serving members of the three armed forces, ambassadors, religious and political figures, and members of the public attended.

Up to 580,406, UK and Commonwealth forces were killed in the six year conflict, and 67,073 civilians died in the Blitz.

The Last Post was sounded and a one-minute silence observed during the service for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

The crowd heard prayers and readings before singing the hymn "O God, our help in ages past".

Royal Navy veteran George Broomhead said it was important for him to be there during the ceremony.

He said: "I never thought I would see this day. It is absolutely wonderful."

Mr Broomhead said that he celebrated after Prime Minister Winston Churchill announced the end of hostilities in Europe in 1945.

"I climbed on top of the lion's head in Trafalgar Square when it happened. I'll never forget it - I've never seen such joy in people's faces."

Cpt Edward Oliver, a current member of the Household Cavalry said he had been inspired to join the army by his grandfather who was a spitfire pilot in the war.

He said it was a privilege to attend the event and added: "It's a great occasion to get together to celebrate the wonderful achievements of George's generation and, again, focus on what the armed forces are doing today."

However he said the ceremony was tinged by sadness as not everybody returned home when the fighting ended.

The reception at Horse Guards Parade was hosted by the Royal British Legion.

Later in the evening, a commemoration gala concert will be held at the Royal Albert Hall in aid of the British Red Cross.

Elsewhere in Europe, French President Nicolas Sarkozy laid a wreath at the statue of General Charles de Gaulle near the Champs Elysee, and on Sunday Russia will hold its 65th victory Parade in Moscow's Red Square.

The ceremony, renowned for its show of military might, has British presence for the first time after Number Two Company of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards were invited to take part with troops from other nations who fought alongside Russia in the World War II.

The 71 guardsmen, accompanied by the Royal Air Force band, will be dressed in full ceremonial uniform.

National Post editorial board: The legacy of VE Day
Posted: May 08, 2010, 3:00 PM by NP Editor
Editorial, VE day
http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2010/05/08/national-post-editorial-board-the-legacy-of-ve-day.aspx

"Sixty-five years ago today, with Berlin in Soviet hands, Hitler dead and the Allies advancing in the west, the Third Reich surrendered. The Second World War had come to an end in Europe, but only after the infrastructure of that continent had been smashed to rubble, tens of millions of people had lost their lives and millions more had perished in the Holocaust’s death machines.

Germany’s surrender may have marked victory in Europe, but it was the costliest victory in history. And Canada had done more than its fair share to bring it about, sending a million people to serve the cause of freedom.

Even 65 years later, the struggle against Naziism remains at the forefront of our society’s collective consciousness. When we wish to exemplify courage, we refer to the men who “stormed the beaches” during the D-Day landings. Hitler has come to personify evil.

It is only by considering how much has changed that the full weight of the elapsed years can be appreciated. Indeed, the current financial crisis now gripping Europe is an illustrative example of the progress that has been made; where fascist Germany once occupied Greece, today a democratic Germany stands poised to lead a united Europe’s rescue of the Greek economy. The bland inner workings of bailouts and even the top-heavy European bureaucracy are in their own ways monuments to the peace that was won. The people of Europe learned well the lessons of two mass slaughters in as many generations and found a better way forward. There is much the world can learn from that example.

For Canadians this day presents the perfect opportunity to reflect on our accomplishments and also on the costs of our victory — lives ended or destroyed by injuries and broken hearts. The young men and boys who went off to wage battle on behalf of our civilization are today old and frail. These veterans are our fastest dwindling natural resource — with their quiet, unassuming dignity they remind us why the Greatest Generation was indeed so great.

Today we should give thanks to our veterans and the relatives of those who never returned, keeping in mind the sacrifices they made to give us the peaceful, prosperous civilization we now enjoy."

National Post

It saddens me to notice that there was little to no commemoration this year.  I don't recall seeing any news reports from any town or city's parades/ceremonies.  :rage:
I, as usual, observed my own few moments to thank those who gave all so I could be.  As a Brit by birth, I know the value of the blood spilt to save that little island.  :yellow:
It also saddens me, neigh, pisses me off that the MFRC in conjunction with our mission support folks are having a family BBQ on D-Day Anniversary.  Some days are just meant to be days to remember those who came before us.  :salute:

BYT Driver said:
It saddens me to notice that there was little to no commemoration this year.  I don't recall seeing any news reports from any town or city's parades/ceremonies.  :rage:
I, as usual, observed my own few moments to thank those who gave all so I could be.  As a Brit by birth, I know the value of the blood spilt to save that little island.  :yellow:
It also saddens me, neigh, pisses me off that the MFRC in conjunction with our mission support folks are having a family BBQ on D-Day Anniversary.  Some days are just meant to be days to remember those who came before us.  :salute:

That's odd because I was thinking the reverse.

Here, Ottawa, seems to have been awash in VE Day "celebrations", despite some horribly bad weather. The newspapers, radio and TV (what little I see of it, anyway) were all filled with VE Day "stuff". perhaps it's because it came on the heels of pretty large battle of the Atlantic Sunday celebrations and commemorations, perhaps it's because there is a sense that these are pretty much the last ones in which real WWII veterans will participate in any significant numbers, perhaps it's just because Ottawa, being the capital, does more of this sort of thing.

My  :2c:  anyway

Could be me, but I don't see anything around Trenton today>>> :'(
Did watch on the news for Ottawa, Moscow and Tel Aviv. 
:salute:      :cdn:

Back