• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans love today's field rations

Banja Luka Bosnia had a British mess... just like everyone said, everything was deep fried... the eggs were so shiny you could see your reflection in them... anything healthy was rationed... you could only have half a skinless boiled chicken breast but you could have all the battered and deep fried sausage you wanted with extra chips. Usually the only vegetable was peas boiled so long they were more of a pasty soup *Shudders* thank god for ECHOS and the American PX

I survived on Protein Shakes, Beef Jerky and Gatorade as lunch was the only meal I could stomach.

working the night shift wasn't much fun, picture the food I mentioned above but wrapped in foil, cold and soggy  :'(

You're right - although when I was there (00/01) there were also Canadian and Dutch cooks there - so there was SOME variety. 

I seem to recall that Fridays were "international night" (at the Sr NCOs/Offrs kitchen) when the cooks would give us their rendition of different national cuisines.

Kat Stevens said:
Spoken by a guy who lives in a land where the national Dish is a Vegemite sandwich.

Vegemite shows that Australians are a productive and non-wasteful people. After we'd drunk all the beer, we thought to ourselves "What can we do with all this stuff at the bottom of the Vat? Lets turn it into a tasty topping for bread!"
I love Vegemite, And i reckon we're winning in the health stakes, Poutine doesnt exist in Australia. ;D

Thread hijack!

Haleyest of Hales! said:
And i reckon we're winning in the health stakes, Poutine doesnt exist in Australia. ;D

Maybe in the obesity race, but not in the skin cancer category:

Australians have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. With only 0.3 per cent of the world’s population, we manage to account for 6 per cent of all the lethal forms of skin cancer diagnosed globally. About 1200 people die each year in Australia as a result of skin cancer.

Link

End of hijack.

c_canuk said:
Banja Luka Bosnia had a British mess... just like everyone said, everything was deep fried... the eggs were so shiny you could see your reflection in them... anything healthy was rationed... you could only have half a skinless boiled chicken breast but you could have all the battered and deep fried sausage you wanted with extra chips. Usually the only vegetable was peas boiled so long they were more of a pasty soup *Shudders* thank god for ECHOS and the American PX

I survived on Protein Shakes, Beef Jerky and Gatorade as lunch was the only meal I could stomach.

working the night shift wasn't much fun, picture the food I mentioned above but wrapped in foil, cold and soggy  :'(

Quite right.I also remember many nights Gurka's were serving you your meal,which I found quite odd!

So as an aspiring member of the CF the most valuable lesson I have learned today seems to have been.... Don't eat with the Brits! :D

You can eat with the Brits all you want BUT...
- Best to have Canadian cooks
- Best have Cdn ration packs on stand by
- Have Pepto-bismol on stand by

And somehow those Brits still manage to keep about 1 percent body fat.

Everytime I walked past their mess my BMI went up.

Remember the deep fried eggs,those things had a "gel" around them. :-X

However that was a step above the bulgarian mess.Bread and horse for breakfast kommrade.

I then tortured a member of my troop by "neighing "out his name everytime he took a bite. ;D

Back