• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vision results question for infantry!!!!!

MattyMillionaire

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently did an eye exam, yes i have glasses but i am unsure if my prescription means i will be denied infantry                                                                                                         
                                                            sphere: OD-275 Cylinder-050 Axis-180
                                                            sphere: OS-150 Cylinder-125 Axis-170
What does this rank on for the forces vision test? if anyone can understand it.

Quite frankly, unless there's a medtech on the recruiting side of things cruising this board, you're not likely to get an answer, try the enrollment medical board, or better yet, go take the test, it's the fastest way, and it's not like you can prepare for it anyways

My :2c:

I'd say not good if you didn't notice the photo posted was flipped (mirror imaged) when posted!!!

Thought I replied to this, maybe got deleted, but will say this - there is a vision thread and it'll say what I'm about to say: it's best to determine your  vision category based on the viusal acuity, not the prescription...in fact, that's how the standards are written, based on visual acuity (your vision 20/X or 6/X), and once that's looked at, then they take the some of the prescription into consideration.

MM

Ya, as Medicineman said, they'll test you on visual accuity, in metric usually (6/6, 6/9, 6/18 etc...). Usually, unless you have V1 I think, you will need to go to an Optician and get him to fill the little form the CF will give you, should cost you between 40 and 90$. Here is the link to requirements by trade: http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/CFP-PFC-154/AN-E-eng.asp

You need V3 to be in the Infantry.

If you can tell me how many fingers I'm holding up, then you would qualify for the infantry.

In order to get that prescription, they had to test your visual acuity...just ask your optometrist for what that was when they tested you (both corrected and uncorrected - you'll need it for the form anyway so might as well have it when you show up for the medical).

MM

I did my medical two days ago, and I got V4. The staff who did part one does the visual acuity test, and that is in two parts. First uncorrected, and corrected. I could only read the big E at the top of the chart, meaning I could only see 6/120. Infantry needs at least 6/60. I am corrected to 6/6, but my uncorrected vision disqualified me from the combat arms. Don't worry it depends for each person. I know a former MCpl from the 48th Highlanders and when he joined, he had vision worse than mine. It all depends on the individual. You are more than likely in the V3 category. Don't worry, if you can't be in the combat arms, there are tons of interesting trades to choose from.

PteAJL said:
I know a former MCpl from the 48th Highlanders and when he joined, he had vision worse than mine.
Back in 2005 the minimum for V3 went from 6/120 to 6/60. If his vision is worse than your's and he were to enroll now, he would most likely be classified as a V4.

PteAJL said:
It all depends on the individual.

The medical staff must enforce a standard, so it doesn't depend on the individual. If your acuity falls within a certain range, you will be classed as such.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/AN-A-eng.asp

GRADE          BETTER EYE Uncorrected    OTHER EYE Uncorrected    BETTER EYE Corrected    OTHER EYE Corrected
V1             6/6                                      up to 6/9                           N/A                                  N/A
V2             up to 6/18                         up to 6/18
                                                  OR                                                 6/6                                 6/9
                    up to 6/12                         up to 6/30
V3             up to 6/60                         up to 6/60                          6/6                                  6/9
V4             Worse than 6/60                Worse than 6/60                6/9                                  6/60

V5
This grading is assigned to those whose visual acuity is worse than the V4 grading or when the refractive error exceeds plus or minus 7.00 dioptres (+/- 7.00 D) spherical equivalent in the better eye regardless of the uncorrected distant vision.

@SeR

I should reword my previous statement.
By "depends on the individual" what I meant to say is that sometimes it varies from person to person, and I can attest to this. One of my friends managed to read more of the chart than me for his medical, and his vision is roughly the same as mine. He qualified for v3 and is now a gunner in the 7th Toronto Regiment (RCA)
Also around the forums, I've searched through the medical forum not sure which post, but someone post-2005 with a prescription of -4.5 managed to get v3. My prescription is roughly -3.50 and I got V4.

You might want to let the people that have been doing medical stuff longer than you've been on the planet decide that instead of your hearsay evidence. 

MM

medicineman said:
You might want to let the people that have been doing medical stuff longer than you've been on the planet decide that instead of your hearsay evidence. 

I'm assuming that this is directed towards me. If it is, and the information I posted was incorrect, feel free to point it out.

Back