• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release prior to the start of the Restricted Release Period

Gunshark

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day,

I believe I can ask this question in this section of the forum. My question is with regards to the contract I would be singing should I receive a job offer for Pilot.

The question is: Even if I am successfully meeting all training requirements, am I free to voluntarily release (VR) from CAF any time before achieving wings standard? (If, for example, I discover the military lifestyle is not well suited for myself or family.)

From the ‘Statement of Understanding and Undertaking: Restricted Release – Pilot’, e):

“I waive any entitlement to release that I may have from time to time pursuant to section 30 of the National Defence Act and Queen's Regulations & Orders for the Canadian Forces 15.02 for a period of seven (7) years. The Restricted Release Period commences upon completion of air crew training to wings standard.”

This statement states that I may not release for 7 years after achieving the wings standard, which suggests that I am free to release prior to that. From the information I’ve gathered, achieving wings standard make take 3-4 years. Does this mean I am free to exit the CAF during this time, if I wish?

However, the Statement of Understanding also says in b):

“The Canadian Forces is relying upon me to acquire the particular skill and to serve in the Canadian Forces in possession of that particular skill.”

So if I choose to VR prior to achieving wings standard, would I be in violation of this statement? The statement makes sense, though seems rather general and not binding.

Please advise whether a candidate is free to VR any time prior to wings standard, with no detrimental consequences or debt owed. Please note it is not my intention to enter and quit, or to wastefully spend the CAF’s resources. However, this request is important for information, and for the family’s peace of mind.

Thank you very much.

Good day,

This form is for questions about Joining the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in one of the many rewarding careers that are available to you in the service of Canada before self.

From direct entry plans to paid education plans, as a part time primary reservist or as a full time regular force member we are here to help applicants understand the different options available to them. This form is not for discussing how release from the CAF. 

I understand. I have been waiting for a long time and working towards a job offer from the CAF to begin service to Canada. This is everything I wanted for over 2 years now. I understand the CAF values and would like to play my part to further strengthen them. The reason I ask the VR question is because it has been on my family's mind, as they are understandably very worried, and I want to help put them at ease, but I am having some trouble interpreting the words of the contract. I thought I would try to clarify it here. In any case, thank you for your time, Sir.

You already answered your own question............

“I waive any entitlement to release that I may have from time to time pursuant to section 30 of the National Defence Act and Queen's Regulations & Orders for the Canadian Forces 15.02 for a period of seven (7) years. The Restricted Release Period commences upon completion of air crew training to wings standard.”

So provided you have not incurred obligatory service, you can release anytime prior to that point.

Thank you DAA.

It looks like I have p’ed off some members of these boards. I just want to confirm my great interest in serving this country. I wish to fly and to continue flying if I am lucky to do so, or otherwise adjust to changing conditions accordingly. It is not my intention to quit either. I have asked several ‘what if’ questions only to stay informed and mainly to answer my family’s questions and to soothe their worries as much as possible. I have never seen them this freaked out before and it’ll be quite a job reasoning with them.

My apologies if I have said something out of line. Thank you all once again for continued support and feedback.

FORUM

the word is spelled "forUm" as in "an assembly for discussion..." (Funk and Wagnalls Canadian College Dictionary)

Regards,

MARS
Milnet.ca Mentor

Back