• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release Questions

W

wantingout

Hello.

I hope some people here might be able to help me.  I'm in the reg force, have only finished my basic and have put my for a release at the beginning of July.  I know they told me it could take up to 3 months maybe even 6 months for the parework to get processed, but getting info my status is next to impossible so I need help.  What has been the experience of people here on this?  if does go passed 3 months who can get help me?

thanks

3-6 months is the norm (usually 6 months). Occasionally the CF can expidite your release but that is done only in special cases (usually for pers who have more time in) who are going back to university or starting a new job.

Armymedic,
Do they have to let you out? Waaaaaay back when, I was under the [misquided?] idea that they could make you do the three year contract.
Bruce

Mr. Monkhouse... thats what I thought as well, but it seems things have changed.  I distinctly remember WO Guadet looking at us as we got off the bus at Cornwallis at 3AM, and, with vulgar language removed, stating words to the effect that we could consider ourselves gov't property for the next three years, no exceptions unless you die [with permission of course!!]. But, that was 20 years ago. [ouch]

I Suggest you think long and hard about VRing,

I VR for peronal family reasons 2 years ago and i regretted it beyond belief and when i reapplied a year later it took me 13 months to get an offer,

What are your reasons for VRing,
Thing tend to get only better after Basic, dont let Basic be your impression of how you are treated in the Canadian armed forces.

I know the training and seperation is hard, but the benefeits out weigh the negatives.

also if its gonna take 6 months for your VR to go through why not just wait it out for another 2 years, alot can change in 6 months and if for some reason in a few months you change your mind about leaving, it will only piss off the people handling your file..

just think long and hard about this mate, I certaintly wish i did when i made my decision 2 years ago, i should have listend to everyone.

good luck anyways.

VR depends on your contract currently and training.  If your on your initial BE and finished trades training you are to complete the 3 year contract.  If you are on your 2nd BE(3 Years) or IE ( take you to 20 years) then its usually 6 months to VR.  I have seen it be 30 days but that is with special circumstances.  For example sick family members of a job is waiting or sometimes school.  But I have seen some trades ( eg Medic) who have enforced the 6 months or finish 1st BE.  Of course this is based mostly on my experience in the Medic trade.  Every trade treats their own slightly different.  There are new contracts now some BE's are much longer than 3 years depending on the trade and IE's that are now 25 years.  I don't know the in's and outs of these new contracts.  Hope this helps

In the last few yrs, the CF has been allowing pers to put in a VR betwen basic training and trades training. This is partly because of the extended wait between the two courses. Med Tech was not uncommon to have over one yr on PAT.

Any wonder why pers want to get out?

It is easier to VR after basic than after a soldier is trained.  As soon as you have DP1 complete the Army wants a return on their investment(in some trades alot of money).  A female crewman recently was days from being released and Ottawa changed their mind.  She is required to finish her initial BE.

In 89 we were given the option of releasing on completion of Basic Training.  Of course this was with a course that started with 100 people, grew to 120-130 and graduated 80.  I believe was the norm at the time, and it was happening every week, so numbers may not have been so important.  Our top candidate took his release on completion of basic.

I just signed my second BE a few months ago(big mistake). And now I want out, My initial BE isn't even up untill April. If I put in a VR now, what kind of time frame can i expect before it's all done with? Is there anything i could say that would make the process go quicker?

I'm In My Last Full Week In Basic. For Personal Reasons I Want To VR. whats The best Way and Time To Do It And Still Be
Able To Finnish Basic And Graduate?

Also what is the Fastest Way To Get Out. Do I Hand In my papers Day Of Grad. Grad Week. Or After I Get reposted

:cdn:

army_guy47 said:
I'm In My Last Full Week In Basic. For Personal Reasons I Want To VR. whats The best Way and Time To Do It And Still Be
Able To Finnish Basic And Graduate?

Also what is the Fastest Way To Get Out. Do I Hand In my papers Day Of Grad. Grad Week. Or After I Get reposted

::)

Another waste of rations....good riddance. Why do they even bother?

For that matter this kinda give a more positive light on the recruiting process....most of the problem childeren give up before the taxpayers dollars are wasted.

Regards

To VR, I heard that the OC has to make a recommendation to the CO, who has to approve it along with the RSM and then that gets sent to Ottawa.  Who in Ottawa actually makes the final decision to approve the VR?

I've put in my VR because I got a job offer from another federal government department.  I've only completed 2 of my 3 year contract (First BE).  I've heard it's still possible to get out.  I just want to know who makes the final decision...

Is it possible to get my VR within this month?  I know it usually takes at least 30 days...which is really close...

My stepson finished BMQ at Borden recently and has been sent to Meaford for infantry training...he has decided that the army is not for him. He has written the proper letters , spoken to his superiors , had a meeting at Borden (where he was told "why are you still on course?", was sent back to Meaford where he still is in training and getting very little info.
Naturally as parents we are concerned about the length of time it takes to VR. Has anybody gone thru this or knows what the basic drill usually is? I have searched on this site but haven't seen this particular kind of case..he finished basic and then decided he wanted out.

[Edit to add an "N" to the word "VOLUNTARY" in the title--Now others can SEARCH it.]

Have your son inquire through his chain of command.

They may not have the answer because they may not have been told to have this member cease training. That decision comes down from an organization outside Meaford's chain of command.

Tell him to be patient and wait, it will happen sooner or later.

thanks....we are trying to be patient but it seems like things move very slowly...and I do understand that he got himself into this fix etc.....we just wondered if there is a "usual" amount of time . thanks again.

One of the reasons there is a 'slowness' to this stage is because of the troops who decide they want to quit, and then a week or two later regret that decision and ask to go back on course.  Unfortunately, there's no middle ground that lets the course and headquarters staffs know exactly what's going through a young soldier's mind when they first say "this isn't for me".

We've even seen it here on the forums, the ones who realize a few months or a year later that their decision was made in haste and want to know if there's a fast way to get back in.

Back