• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VR/Get back in for OT?

• Thread starter Thread starter bambam
  • Start date Start date
B

bambam

Here is my situation, I have 2 years in (Reg force, NCM, 031) and would like to OT to another trade. I am told by the PSO you must wait 3 years before OT'ing. I heard it may be possible to VR and then get right back in in your new trade and it may be easier/faster. Furthermore apparently the trade I would like to go to is now taking people "off the street" (IntOp) whereas it used to be OT only. I would hate the idea of the VR but I would really like to OT.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Wait the 365 days and apply for the OT, but that's just me, I like a regular pay cheque.

Int Op is No longer taking people "off the street". I suggest you ask to work with the Int Section at your unit or at brigade and get some exposure to the trade. It may make the transfer easier. Stay in and make yourself the best candidate for OT. Best of luck. 

CFR FCS 

In the mean time, familiarize yourself with CFAO 11-12 OCCUPATION TRANSFER OF NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS - REGULAR FORCE.  In particular, read and understand Para's 15, 16 and Annex B. (Int Op is part of the COTP portion, covered in Annex B in detail). 

Make sure you also read ADM (HR-MIL) Instruction 05/05 Annex G, Appendix 1, as there are 2 amendments to CFA0 11-12 in that document and one of them pertains specifically to LOTP. 

For this FY, your MOC is "green" (above PML), and approx. 111 Infmn will be able to OT out, IAW with the info I have from the ISS site. 

Stay in, keep your pay cheque, IPCs, pensionable time and PER going in the right direction. 

bam...
If you bail to get back in.... consider the time you will wait before final "out"
consider that CFRC might not bee too darned quick to get you back in....
So from the time you say "I want out" to the time you get back in & start training in the Int trade..... it might be more than the 1 year you say you still need.

Get the paperwork for the OT started.... be ready for the Year 3 anniversary - and continue to collect that paycheck

I've talked to alot of people about this subject.  Do I get out and get back in or wait for my OT?  Obviously the smart decision is to do your time, then put in your OT when you are able to.  That is until your Chain decides they don't want you to leave and then do everything in their power to keep you. 
  I know they aren't supposed to hold up your OT, but apparently it happens all the time.  I know quite a few bitter individuals who have been held up by their supervisors desire for them not to leave.  Can they legally do that?
  I know every trade is hurting for bodies right now, but what does one do when they are in a trade that is almost never " green", and who could possibly wait up to years to get their OT?
  I'm happy in my trade so far, but its good to know all options anyway.
CHeers
TH :cdn:

TangoHotel said:
  I've talked to alot of people about this subject.  Do I get out and get back in or wait for my OT?  Obviously the smart decision is to do your time, then put in your OT when you are able to.  That is until your Chain decides they don't want you to leave and then do everything in their power to keep you. 
  I know they aren't supposed to hold up your OT, but apparently it happens all the time.  I know quite a few bitter individuals who have been held up by their supervisors desire for them not to leave.  Can they legally do that?
   I know every trade is hurting for bodies right now, but what does one do when they are in a trade that is almost never " green", and who could possibly wait up to years to get their OT?
  I'm happy in my trade so far, but its good to know all options anyway.
CHeers
TH :cdn:

You learn to not blow your top, understand the Reg's WRT to OTs so you can speak intelligently, and submit your memo, and talk to the FPSO staff.  Even RED trades have to allow 0.5% OTs out (for COTP MOCs atleast).

Remember...OT is NOT an entitlement.  The needs of the CF come first.  You just need to know how to make the needs of the CF work in your favour.  In my case, I was going from a green MOC to a Red one, and THAT was the biggest factor.

I had a substantial uphill fight, but did my homework, laid it all out and in the end, my application went forward.  I made some enemies, gained some respect, but got my offer.

if you want, you can PM me and I can break down what happened in my case, and what I did to make it work.  If you can speak to your Superiors calmly, intelligently and quoting CF policy, that is in black and white..and you are actually correct...the system works.

I posted some info in this thread to Pistos WRT to COTP applications.  If you read thru the reg's...watch for the word SHALL.  That was current as of the post date.  While the CFAO has not changed, ISS is no longer part of CFRG, but has been moved to DMCARM in Ottawa.

Thanks for the informative post E.I.T.S..........I will definately look into the thread you pasted there.
PM inbound
TH

bambam said:
Here is my situation, I have 2 years in (Reg force, NCM, 031) and would like to OT to another trade. I am told by the PSO you must wait 3 years before OT'ing. I heard it may be possible to VR and then get right back in in your new trade and it may be easier/faster. Furthermore apparently the trade I would like to go to is now taking people "off the street" (IntOp) whereas it used to be OT only. I would hate the idea of the VR but I would really like to OT.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hey I was at a CFRC today and asked...apparently they haven't heard of the direct entry INT deal. I heard about it too, but perhaps its just not true. CFR FCS is right on the money in my opinion.

In the meantime at least you're an infanteer!

They were taking them (INT) direct for a little while. My hubby worked with an LCIS tech Pte who released (because his parents wanted him to), regretted doing so, and then re-enrolled as INT. He's at the school now. For him the whole process took more than a year though, since he released around Dec 2006, and is just getting his INT 3's now. It's easier to wait and OT if you can. He was LCIS (another under-manned trade) so he may have just been lucky with his "bad" release decision.

I messed my account up and had to create a new one..whoops

Thanks for all the replies!

Back