• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

W5 tonight

I thought it was a good effort by all concerned. I'm wondering though, 20 minutes of video shown on the program after 12 days in the field? I think that CTV might have some valuable *file* footage to use on their broadcasts from behind the wire for a while. With time and experience the reporting from Afghanistan should become more technically accurate, I hope. Although I think this program was good for the GP you folks are a pretty tough crowd when it comes to this stuff ;D

I never knew the tubes on those M777's bounced up and down like that after firing :eek: They must be pretty light after all.

2Bravo said:
The kit was, however, very heavy and climbing mountains with all that was a feat in itself (especially for the guys with radios).  Food and water is remarkably heavy.

Further to my last, for anyone who has never humped dismounted for more then 24 hrs; Ammo, water and food are the heaviest things you carry (don't forget your mission essential gear like NVGs, batteries, comms equipment). You need to carry atleast 5L of water for a day of moderate to heavy work (like climbing a mountain).

5 L of water = 5 Kgs. At 2.2 pounds per, that is just 11+ pounds of water, minimum.

You can skip meals...you can never have enough water, esp in Afghanistan.

My oldest son and I watched the W5 program last night and were very impressed with it.
He told me that it helped him to understand what was going on over there, as it did for me too.

I will admit that we were kind of looking forward to seeing some sort of conflict in it.

Armymedic said:
VCR is set...

I wanna tape it so I can show the RSM all the non issued kit being worn over there... ;D
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but he'll just say "Them Patricia cowboys......now, forget that stuff, lower the Regimental Banner to Half Mast: the Leafs are out of the Playoffs" ;)

A post at "The Torch" that might be of interest:

"Afstan: Brits will after all "hunt down and kill insurgents"
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/04/afstan-brits-will-after-all-hunt-down.html

Mark
Ottawa

Hoover said:
Yes. MCpl and WO were both abbreviated wrong. Warrant Officer was abbreviated to W.O. instead of WO.

I was a copy editor for a military newspaper and learned that journalists (and journalism students) use the "Canadian Style Guide" or the "York University style guide"  or the "CP style guide" which provide abbrevs. for ranks etc.  Remember their publications and programs are for digestion by the general public and not only members of the CF.  NATO countries use different abbrevs for ranks and therefore, the Canadian Style guides provide references for use by Cdn journalists regardless of their subject.  Using military abbreviations would not necessarily make them understood by the general public in Canada or internationally.

http://www.yorku.ca/ycom/style/index.html
http://www.fedpubs.com/subject/commun/cdnstyl.htm
http://www.cp.org/english/hp.htm

I thought of that a bit after my post.. that MCpl would not be understandable to most "civvies". However if they wrote Master Corporal instead of Mast. Cpl.  I think the time wasted would be worth it, no?

Afstan video: bunch of W5 stuff here:
http://soapbox22.blogspot.com/2006/04/devotion-to-mission.html

Mark
Ottawa

Armymedic said:
VCR is set...

I wanna tape it so I can show the RSM all the non issued kit being worn over there... ;D

That's definately something that stuck out to me when I was watching the program.

Yes, well everyone certainly had their own flavor with the "non-issued kit"

Very well done and it was interesting to experience the disappointment that was felt when the plans were changed...not something I would have thought of previously.

HL

I explain that to everyone I know when they ask "why do you want to go overseas?"  I train for all these years, I'd like to put it to use.  Imagine if you did hockey practice forever but never got to play the game?

Well I guess I thought that when people deployed they got an opportunity to use the training they had received...never dawned on me that the opportunities would not arise to do so.
I learn something new everyday  :)

HL

It was fun to see the tv room fill up to watch it in the shacks here in Wainwright. All the arty boys were disgusted when the "infintry's big guns" comment came on. It truely reflected the way we train... the mission gets canned and passed on to another unit... and then gets scraped all together.  :dontpanic:

Relating to the thread W5 Tonight, one sequence of the film shown Afghan
Police/Military with the Canadian patrol.  The Afghan group wanted gas and
money to continue with the misson if the Canadians wanted their participation.

I have no doubt the Afghan men lack money and resources, personally and
as a force, yet it seemed odd they walked out on a mission of their own interests
and left the Canadians to do the job (though obviously the Canadians had
the armoured vehicles and more fire-power).  Likely food and staples of life are
more immediate than fighting the remnants of an previous regime.

How difficult is it for the Canadians to work with the Afghan forces?  Is there
a general commitment in the population and security forces to reduce
Taliban or Al-Qaeda power?

You just gotta love, how in one of the extended interviews, that Capt. Marty Dupuis said that he originally joined  *drumroll* to be a sniper,  :blotto:

Yes and it was so sad when he said Officers couldn't become snipers  :(

HL

Back