• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Waiting for Selection

Major_Malfunction

Inactive
Reaction score
So... medical and interview done. Waiting on new eye exam (been over 2 years) Everything looks good.

From what is available, I had to choose between NAV COMM and SONAR operator. Sadly, looks like both are going to be filled before next week when my eye test is done. I may have to wait until April for the next selection process.

So, while I wait, I have a couple of questions if you all don't mind:

I have been told I can apply for CEOPT because of my college and test scores. Is it a terribly long process? would I benefit from some time as a NCM before I attempt officer training?

I have never been one to enjoy sitting my ass down in a chair all day. What are the steps involved in becoming a ship's diver or joining the boarding crew?

In your experiences, are NAV COM and SONAR rewarding? Can someone have a rewarding and fulfilling career in one of those trades? (I know, it is what you make of it)

honestly though... how is life aboard ship?

:) the Search function on the main page is still working so I would use that. There are pages of answers for the questions you have asked.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Welcome again to army.ca (Third time I, or someone else, won't be so nice.)

Many of your questions have been answered in detail in numerous discusions.  You aren't so special that they haven't been asked before.  If you take some time to read some of the topics on the site, you will find that the majority of your questions have already been asked and discussed.  Read some before you post.

I see I wasn't fast enough, but the warning is still valid. 

As for the ceotp vs. ncm thing.....look at the officer trades, watch the videos, compare them to the ncm trades you like and if you think it looks like something you'd like..go for it.
:cdn:

Heh.. sadly, I knew I was going to get a response like this as soon as I hit the post button.

My bad...

....if you knew what to expect, then maybe you shouldn't have posted  ;D  Seriously though...I've been here a few years and everything you've asked has been talked about many many times.  Have a look through the threads.

If you don't want to sit around all day, I highly advise avoiding an operator trade.  However if you're prepared to spend about 4 years as ping bosn'( sonar op), get your butt into good shape, get great at swimming, you could apply for Clearance diver....or regular ships diver. 

I work close to the divers at FDU(A), and have a couple of clearance diver buddies.  They LOVE their job :nod:  About as ' hardcore' as you can get in the navy. 

Another option is that you can apply for CSOR( canadian special operations regiment), or even JTF2 if you are so inclined.  You need 2 years of reg force time before you can apply. 

So you want some non-ass sitting sailor jobs, there you go.  Hope it helped a bit
COD :cdn:

Go with SONAR Op, they get Spec pay.

Most NAVCOMM's out there will probably tell you the same thing (at least the west coast ones would).

CallOfDuty said:
....if you knew what to expect, then maybe you shouldn't have posted  ;D  Seriously though...I've been here a few years and everything you've asked has been talked about many many times.  Have a look through the threads.

If you don't want to sit around all day, I highly advise avoiding an operator trade.  However if you're prepared to spend about 4 years as ping bosn'( sonar op), get your butt into good shape, get great at swimming, you could apply for Clearance diver....or regular ships diver. 

I work close to the divers at FDU(A), and have a couple of clearance diver buddies.  They LOVE their job :nod:  About as ' hardcore' as you can get in the navy. 

Another option is that you can apply for CSOR( canadian special operations regiment), or even JTF2 if you are so inclined.  You need 2 years of reg force time before you can apply. 

So you want some non-*** sitting sailor jobs, there you go.  Hope it helped a bit
COD :cdn:

Thank you... much appreciated advice!

Back