• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Could be worse, could have been fragged by his whole paintball team. ;D

those bloody Hines twines got another adjournment.

http://m.news.com.au/NationalNews/fi1822219.htm

I still remember a Major telling me that my CWO and MWO and other unit Officers thought I was a "Wannabe"  Because I was Air Force and liked firearms, they thought I was an Army Wannabe.  But they did not realize until my release and after reviewing my file that I was qualified on more weapons systems than they were when they were in the Army (remusters) and that my Company had won a Defense contract to teach the Army how to shoot, I was Coach and Captain of the Military shooting team, Qualified weapons instructor, Miltary RSO...

This did not include my qualifications as an Advanced Tactical Weapons instructor (advanced rifle and pistol), qualified PSD, Advanced Close Protection in Hostile Environments, Advanced Hostage Rescue and Kidnap Awareness in Hostile Environments, Chief firearms Instructor, Safety Officer Instructor, Civilian RSO for IPSC, Safety Officer for IDPA...

I have been working for well over a year in Kabul as a PSD, Close Protection, Hostage Rescue, Site Security Manager, and Risk Management Consultant, Mentor and Trainer for the Afghanistan Ministry of Interior for the APPF.  I was recently back to visit my Unit and had a chuckle... I asked them if they still thought I was a "Wannabe"

I believe this all stems from the inability and prejudices for some to accept that just because I am not from the Combat Arms that I don't have the ability to learn, train, and perform.  Dam those old Dinosaurs and that mentality.

My old company commander called me a wannabe for carrying a Gerber mk2 in the field right before bragging about how new his bivy bag still looked after having it a few years.

Pop you should totally teach him a lesson by hooking me up with some of those near-mythical courses  ;D

Popurhedoff said:
I believe this all stems from the inability and prejudices for some to accept that just because I am not from the Combat Arms that I don't have the ability to learn, train, and perform. 
That may all be true, but the predominant point of this thread is people who claim to be something they are not.  In all your time as an airman with diverse qualifications, did you tell people that you were SAS?  Did you ever wear 'high-speed' qualification badges on your uniform without entitlement?

Those questions are rhetorical, by the way.

Found one today.

Normally I don't bat an eye to people wearing surplus stuff. This guy's wearing the issued beret, and some random unit flashes.
I went to confront him five minutes later, and he was gone.
ottawa2013011100271.jpg

I have to admit, most military people wouldn't give him a second glance, what with the Garrison jacket/OD pants combo.  (Mufti parade anyone?  ;))  However, the general public is not so knowledgeable...

Rifleman62 said:
I think it is too large, but too small for a large pack. IMHO.
I found the 51 pattern from a pdf and cropped out the rest of the web gear for comparison.
It does seem a bit large but he's not a big guy either.

Blowed him up a bit and tried to sharpen him up but he's still a ragbag  ;D

Tank Troll said:
Looks like an old gas suit/nuke bag like we used in Germany in the 80s and 90s.

The one I had over there was a 1951 pattern large pack.

That bag could also be some random cheap, olive green hipster bag from any surplus store in the world.

Bzzliteyr said:
That bag could also be some random cheap, olive green hipster bag from any surplus store in the world.

Nope 51 pattern as used in 4CMBG as NBCD bags

DigginginREFORGERstylenotallowedtod.jpg

Tank Troll said:
Nice Trench

Left more time to go and "recce" the local Gausthoff, to make sure those pesky Fantassians hadn't set up in there 8)

Danjanou said:
Left more time to go and "recce" the local Gausthoff, to make sure those pesky Fantassians hadn't set up in there 8)

I know we carried one in our pocket in case we were "shelled" and couldn't get back in the tanks.

Back