• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Want to join Army Cadets........

• Thread starter Thread starter Ross Cadet
  • Start date Start date
Jason....My response was in essence to the very blunt comments that you made in reference to the Daisys being more accurate than the Anshutz. Now that you‘ve clarified your POV, I agree. Although I personnally get our weapons looked after by a weapons tech and a civvy gun smith on a very regular basis, the accuracy is absolutly outstanding. As for ammo, we buy ours when we can, all match of course and loaded by the same gun smith. The man is a guru.

As for getting the cadets to shoot Daisys first prior to shooting larger caliber weapons, I still waver at the thought. Although the student learns BATH-P in a warm environment and out of the elements, in my experience when they get out to the range and shoot No7 they have to re-learn their applied technique and adjust. This takes up precious time, as you well know is at a premium during range shoots. For the corps‘ that I have worked with in the past, we lucked out and approved ranges are nearby, I‘m currently at Connaught. The ranges are literally 100m away.

I know what works for me. I was taught by the best, WO Ron Surret from the RNBR in New Brunswick. I go off his example. :D

Good luck to your promising biathelete. It‘s not easy coaching rifle AND teaching them to ski hard at the same time. :eek:

Cheers :salute:

As for getting the cadets to shoot Daisys first prior to shooting larger caliber weapons, I still waver at the thought. Although the student learns BATH-P in a warm environment and out of the elements, in my experience when they get out to the range and shoot No7 they have to re-learn their applied technique and adjust.
Well, you still have to walk before you can run, and as much as I enjoy shooting the No. 7, it really is a pig of a rifle, especially for a 12-year old -- it‘s long, awkward, heavy and it takes a fair bit of fiddling to get the sling fitted properly. My old unit tended to use Anschutz only, although in early ‘92 we started to use No. 7s more frequently, and we even mounted PH front tunnels with Anschutz inserts on our rifles (didn‘t make much difference, though, I think my best target with a No. 7 was still only a 95 on the 20 yd. DND target).

I was only able to run one training session on the 853C with the team we sent to the ORA shoot in October. Since we finished DFL, I don‘t know what that says about either my coaching skills or their shooting ability. While only one of the cadets had any amount of shooting experience, their overall performance sucked. They were equally bad with the No. 7 and C7. None of them are on the current team, however, so I‘ve got the rest of this year to get next year‘s team in shape.

Anyone who trained under WO Surret can buy me a beer any day! ;)

Originally posted by Jason:
[qb]
Well, you still have to walk before you can run, and as much as I enjoy shooting the No. 7, it really is a pig of a rifle, especially for a 12-year old -- it‘s long, awkward, heavy and it takes a fair bit of fiddling to get the sling fitted properly.

Anyone who trained under WO Surret can buy me a beer any day! ;) [/qb][/QUOTE]

True...it is a bit heavy for the yungins‘. What I do for people of that ilk is get sand bags for them to rest on prior to shooting and between shots. I don‘t allow them to use it as a rest during shooting. Most times it works to a tee. They learn much quicker and can relax at the same time. By the time they get into competition they are handling the weapon like a pro, out performing most other cadets, who are mostly fumbling with it and or not confident in themselves handling a firearm.

As for buying the beers...we‘ll take turns buying rounds. I will have to catch up on my drinkin‘ after the tour ends anyway. :blotto:

Cheers :salute:

Originally posted by Cadet810:
[qb] I hate the air daisys. [/qb]
Go Easy on the fine weapon of whence you speak Carter I happen to know your not the greatest shot about town...

I know because I captained the rifle team at your Frmr Air Sqn for 2 yrs... and Im very good friends with most of the leadership there And at 810...

The Daisy 835C When operated and used by a competent marksman is a very effective torget shooting tool, Ive been usuing it since my old man bought me one at 4, i still have it and it still makes a nice tight group to this day... And without learning to shoot on that I wouldnt be where i am with my .303 No4Mk1 Lee-Enfield and .300 Lapua Mag today

Bear in mind its not your gun that makes you a great shot its your instructors and in the end...YOU

And where is that Dixon....

Hate to see all you chaps be in cadets when I first got in. Started shooting 3 days after I got in using FNs and Lee Enfield No 4 (303). I never had such a bad bruise in my life! Never saw an air rifle for cadets until 1997. Rolled my eyes and gave it a try. Every single one garbage. Even returned them through supply. Got new ones...garbage. I sighted them in using benchclamps and the like to no avail.

I guess we‘ll have to agree to disagree...

Cheers

:salute:

WO Ron Surret is one of the best Marksman in the CF. He has 6 Queens Champion Shot Medals.4 with the RCR and 2 with RNBR. There is only one more that has 7 Queens Champion Shot Medals as a Res LT. Ron‘s Son Missed out a few years from winning his first.WO Surret has been working with the Army cadet Shooting Program in Ottawa for the past 4 years and went Back to Bisely last year as a CDT Coach and Compt. Cadets shooting has change alot in the past 15 years. From Phase 1 to Phase 2 at CSTS in CFB Borden, to the National Cadet Team in Ottawa. Shooting the Daisy 835 c is the start to cadet marksmanship then they progress.I had one cadet that started shooting the 835c got the basics and moved his way through all the marksman camps. he competed in Bisley in 98 and it was the best time of his life...

AND WO SURRET DOs NOT DRINK anymore

I‘d love to join Cadets but my parents just won‘t let me. I don‘t know why either. They keep saying they want me to do something where I don‘t ‘dress up in green and march around‘. I‘ve explained how much more it is and how great an experience it is; but now my mother‘s using the excuse that it isn‘t ‘a true sport‘. I don‘t have any after school activities after I completed swimming a while ago and my parents just want to sign me up for some gay kickboxing class. I‘m so angry and confused! Any advice...?

Originally posted by Lexi:
[qb] I‘d love to join Cadets but my parents just won‘t let me. I don‘t know why either. They keep saying they want me to do something where I don‘t ‘dress up in green and march around‘. I‘ve explained how much more it is and how great an experience it is; but now my mother‘s using the excuse that it isn‘t ‘a true sport‘. I don‘t have any after school activities after I completed swimming a while ago and my parents just want to sign me up for some gay kickboxing class. I‘m so angry and confused! Any advice...? [/qb]
It is obvious you have an interest in the Canadian Forces, and wishes to start her future.

I can understand why you‘re parents use that excuse. Cadets is not a "true sport" by this, they mean directly related to one physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Cadets in the aspects of sports and sportsmanship is more of a Indirect sport. (IF considered a sport)

Within Cadets there are sport activities by far.
E.G: Marksmanship, Orienteering, Rock climbing, Absailing. (Air and Sea Cadets... I lack the knowledge of sports involved)

Besides those few examples, If it is also competition you‘re parents want you involved in, Cadets can offer much of that.
Not just in sport related activities, but as well as simply polishing you‘re boots and perhaps winning best jr/sr cadet of the week.(Assuming other corps are doing that)
Getting in to camp for the summer is still competitive; They only allow so many to go, and out of those many, they (By which I mean the CO)chooses whether or not you earned and qualify to you‘re camp chosen, etc.

If you need more advice feel free to PM me, or you can just post it here, and I will as well as hopefully others give some more advice.

There are things that only can happen in cadets that you will never experience elsewhere, as all who are he will attest to. It most definatly is not a sport but a way of life and it will change you, if you allow it to, for the better.

Regards

Originally posted by Lexi:
[qb] I‘d love to join Cadets but my parents just won‘t let me. I don‘t know why either. They keep saying they want me to do something where I don‘t ‘dress up in green and march around‘. I‘ve explained how much more it is and how great an experience it is; but now my mother‘s using the excuse that it isn‘t ‘a true sport‘. I don‘t have any after school activities after I completed swimming a while ago and my parents just want to sign me up for some gay kickboxing class. I‘m so angry and confused! Any advice...? [/qb]
I would try to get as much information on cadets as possible from the internet www.cadets.ca would be a great start. Back in 83 when I asked my father if I could join Army Cadets while living at CFB Borden. He said how much will it cost and he had his wallet out ready to give me the BUCKS to join. I said it was free and I might be able to goto Summer Camp At Ipperwash Ont. It was the best thing I have ever done joining cadets help me be what I am today. I still keep in touch with some old friends from then. All you can really do is get the most information you can and show it to your parents....

Good luck with it...

Thanks.
But as far as I know - Cadets isn‘t free anymore. That‘s besides the point. I‘ve given them information and made them sit down and read through most of the Cadets webpage. All I keep getting is, "We‘ll talk about it." After the ‘talk‘ I get a, "Maybe." That maybe becomes a, "Later." And the circle starts over again..

Maybe I‘m just not putting my foot down hard enough? :\

Cadets is no cost to you: just time and effort
and hey, they pay you 60$ a week at camp..... Why I will never understand but they do.
a) friendships b) effective speaking and leadership (things that you CAN use in the future), teamwork, competitions, weekend activities....the list goes on, and it can expand even more depending on the unit.

Nah, I think for army cadets where I live you have to pay for your uniform. I‘m going to try really hard this time to get them to just drop me off at the armoury on Tuesdays, (which is when Cadets is,) and they can pick me up when it ends. I have alot of friends in Cadets and I can stick with them...

Besides, I want to get in on the last tag day. If I do, there‘s a possibility I may be able to go on the big March Break trip to BC.

im still wondering why would someone want to be cadet when he can join the reserve at 16 :/

Greater Fun/Work ratio (I love my job, it‘s great fun, but it‘s still a job).

There is no deposit required for uniforms. If that is the case...as far as I know it‘s against regs for the CO of that corps to do so. However they can make you or your parents sign an agreement to return the uniform when you either age out or quit. It‘s a bit above signing a 638 card, but effective.

Regards

Perhaps your Parents are among those unknowing souls that do not understand that Cadets, are not that much different than Scouts, or the "gay" kickboxing club.
Many are under the false impression that their sons and daughters are once signed up, eligible for military duty.
THIS IS NOT THE CASE Parents!
The style may be military, but there is no obligation what so ever to join the CF, to be Drafted in the event of National Emergency, or to pay anything for your children to be part of this youth organisation.
What your children will learn from the program, would excite even the most liberal minded among you. Leadership, discipline, public speaking, and yes even ecology!
many former Cadets have not entered the military, but rather entered the civvy world as Leaders, movers and shakers of the economy, and politics. Almost all attribute their success to what they learned while a Cadet!

Back