• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanted by DRDC: someone to study brain scan use to assess PTSD, treatment

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from MERX:
.... Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) Toronto requires expertise services for an assessment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) among war fighters, returning from active combat duty to help determine when they could be safely redeployed. The study proposes to use a neuroimaging tool, magnetoencephalography, to facilitate the assessment of PTSD to develop a clinically validated non-invasive objective neuroimaging tool to confirm and monitor mental conditions for intervention therapy ....
More in Statement of Work (4 pages via Google Docs) here, and on other research on using magnetoencephalography to work with PTSD here

And we have a winner!
The defence department is looking to cutting-edge medical technology in its battle to identify and track legions of Canadian soldiers who have developed or are being treated for post-traumatic stress disorder.

Defence Research and Development Canada, the scientific agency that supports the military, will spend a quarter of a million dollars to test the finding that the psychological disorder that has appeared in up to 20 per cent of Canada’s front line war fighters can be detected through magnetic fields given off by the electrical impulses in the brain.

The study, to be completed by early next year, is based on research that was able to detect distinct patterns of brain activity in American veterans diagnosed with PTSD — patterns that did not appear in people without the condition.

That work has come as a relief to hundreds of U.S. soldiers who have taken the tests, said Dr. Brian Engdahl, a professor of psychology at the University of Minnesota who has been treating patients with PTSD for decades.

“To put it simply in the words of one veteran, you now have physical evidence of my emotional injury,” he recounted. “I think that sums it up pretty well.” ....
Toronto Star, 22 Jun 12

This is interesting. I find the quote from the one US soldier very.....intriguing. One of the biggest problems with PTSD is that there are no physical signs (that we knew of). I know myself, I have often wondered if I was just plain crazy or just an asshole instead of actually suffering from an injury.

Something like this, if it pans out, would give that ..... concreteness I guess.

Would it be DRET or DREO that would be spearheading this? Any ideas/thoughts?

My guess would be DRDC(T) - they do alot of the human factors stuff there.  I'd even fly myself down to get a look at what's left of my noodle...might explain a few things...or deepen the mystery  ;D

MM

Back