• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanted: New Sergeant-at-Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Are YOU the one to fill this man's boots?
ht_kevin_vickers_kb_141023_4x3_992.jpg

More here:
NOTICE OF VACANCY
HOUSE OF COMMONS
Sergeant-at-Arms (full-time position)

Salary range: (TBD)

As an official of the House of Commons, the Sergeant-at-Arms is responsible for maintaining order inside the Chamber of the House of Commons when Members of Parliament are sitting, under the direction of the Speaker of the House of Commons.

The Sergeant-at-Arms contributes to the effective and efficient operation of the Chamber of the House of Commons by safeguarding life and property, and maintaining peace and order. The Sergeant-at-Arms assists the Clerk of the House of Commons as required, performs ceremonial functions, and works in close collaboration with the Director of the Parliamentary Protective Service and the House of Commons Corporate Security Officer to facilitate the consistent delivery of integrated security services both inside and outside the Chamber.

The ideal candidate would possess a degree from a recognized university or an acceptable combination of education, job-related training and experience.

The ideal candidate would possess a good understanding of the legal, historical and cultural conditions of parliamentary institutions in Canada, as well as knowledge of the Canadian parliamentary system, the legislative process and the constitutional mandate of the House of Commons. Experience working in a parliamentary or legislative environment or with legislators would be considered an asset.

The ideal candidate would possess significant experience in a security-related field, with a record of protecting life and property and managing teams in the context of security operations. He or she would also have strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making abilities and the ability to respond in a strategic, innovative and reasonable manner in high-pressure situations and in the context of unexpected security events, while respecting the tradition of an open and accessible Canadian Parliament.

The ideal candidate would have leadership experience in a complex stakeholder environment, with a track record of managing organizational change and sensitive relationships. The ideal candidate would possess the ability to develop and maintain effective relations with parliamentarians, the Clerk of the House of Commons, the Director of the Parliamentary Protective Service, and other key stakeholders.

The ideal candidate would be objective, fair, impartial, and decisive as well as possess high ethical standards and integrity. He or she would be a consensus-builder with excellent interpersonal skills and sound judgment. Superior communication skills, both written and oral, are also desired.

Proficiency in both official languages is essential.

The successful candidate is frequently required to work long hours due to House and Member of Parliament business associated with regular and extended sittings and urgencies that arise.

The successful candidate must reside in or be willing to relocate to the National Capital Region or to a location within reasonable commuting distance.

The Government is committed to ensuring that its appointments are representative of Canada’s regions and official languages, as well as of women, Aboriginal peoples, disabled persons and visible minorities.

The selected candidate must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders. The Guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments Web site, under “Reference Material,” at www.appointments-nominations.gc.ca/index.asp?lang=eng.

This notice has been placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for this position. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.

Further details about the House of Commons and its activities can be found on the Parliament of Canada Web site at http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/compilations/HouseOfCommons.aspx?Menu=HoC.

Interested candidates should forward their curriculum vitae by July 25, 2015, to the Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel), Privy Council Office, 59 Sparks Street, 1st Floor, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A3, 613-957-5006 (fax), GICA-NGEC@pco-bcp.gc.ca (email).

English and French notices of vacancies will be produced in an alternative format upon request. For further information, please contact GICA-NGEC@pco-bcp.gc.ca.

Rifleman62 said:
What about you ERC? Can you still shoot?

Ha ha!  :D

:warstory:  I was taught to shoot the pistol ~ correction: my shooting skills were tossed away and replaced with new ones ~ by a good friend in the Black Watch, a former Bisley champion, / :warstory:  but I am 100% certain that I could never manage such a killing shot made while, literally, in the middle of a roll on the ground.

As I read the job description it is aimed at a senior military officer (a GOFO) or, maybe, another senior policeman: someone experienced at managing in a complex, sensitive environment. I can think of one or two admirals and/or generals who would be highly suitable.

E.R. Campbell said:
Ha ha!  :D

:warstory:  I was taught to shoot the pistol ~ correction: my shooting skills were tossed away and replaced with new ones ~ by a good friend in the Black Watch, a former Bisley champion, / :warstory:  but I am 100% certain that I could never manage such a killing shot made while, literally, in the middle of a roll on the ground.

As I read the job description it is aimed at a senior military officer (a GOFO) or, maybe, another senior policeman: someone experienced at managing in a complex, sensitive environment. I can think of one or two admirals and/or generals who would be highly suitable.

Modesty will get you nowhere.  Besides, security has been beefed up and the necessity to be a marksman with a pistol would probably not be a requirement.  Management and organizational skills would be more in order.    ;D

George Wallace said:
. . . the necessity to be a marksman with a pistol would probably not be a requirement. . . .

But some skill at arms may be necessary.  As the only official of the House of Commons that is permitted to be in the chamber armed, perhaps some proficiency in fencing would not be amiss.

CP_34Sword_Vickers_lg.jpg

Oh, and being able to the wear a funny hat would be helpful.

The winner would have to have successfully completed the RCMP course of fire. There are others, but that's the usually one for armed Federal employees.

I've taken training in both classical European and Japanese fencing...and Japanese stick fighting - that mace would certainly leave a mark on your noggin that you'd definitely forget how you got IF you regained consciousness  :nod:

MM

E.R. Campbell said:
:warstory:  I was taught to shoot the pistol ~ correction: my shooting skills were tossed away and replaced with new ones ~ by a good friend in the Black Watch, a former Bisley champion, /

I came across this photo while searching for something else and recalled your comment.  Anybody in the photo familiar?  Seems like the Black Watch were the Bisley team in 1965.

A friend who was a Black Watch officer at the time states: The Capt on the left looks like either Don Ludlow or Don Manuel".

Rifleman62 said:
A friend who was a Black Watch officer at the time states: The Capt on the left looks like either Don Ludlow or Don Manuel".

http://www.queensmedal.net/files/hennick.htm
Canadian Army Rifle Team. Bisley, England 1965.

Front (left to right): Sgt.J. E. Daigle, Capt. W. J. Molnar, Capt. J. S. MacAulay, Lt. L. R. Joudrey, L/Cpl. F. Unger.
Centre (left to right): Tpr. J. Kabatoff, Sgt. H. E. O'Neil, Pte. D. G. Forsythe, Cpl. A. W. J. Connors.
Rear (left to right): Sgt. V. L. Kavanagh, Pte. H. McKay, Cpl. C. E. Hockett, Cpl. D. W. G. Spicer, Pte J. R. Hennick.

Sgt. J. E. Daigle (1963/66/70) and Capt. W. J. Molnar (1964) were Queen's Medal winners at the time.
Pte Hennick and Pte McKay subsequently went on to win the Queen's Medal in 1971 and 1978 respectively.

I was about to post I thought the lieutenant was Mr Joudrey.

Thanks for that, Blackadder1916, it's nice to see a few old friends ... although I just shared a glass of wine (or two) with one of them a week or so ago.

A bit more ....
The job demands the utmost in discretion, infinite tolerance for sensitive egos and, as recent events attest, the possibility of putting your life on the line.

This skill set is not specifically listed as a requirement for those who want the job as the House of Commons sergeant-at-arms, but those who know Parliament Hill will be able to read between the lines of notice of vacancy published in the July 18 issue of the Canada Gazette.

Among other duties, the sergeant-at-arms is responsible for keeping order inside the House of Commons. In addition to a suitable education, job experience and knowledge of Canada’s parliamentary system, “the ideal candidate would possess significant experience in a security-related field, with a record of protecting life and property.” ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back