• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanting To Become a Mountie

canadianblue

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I am currently enrolled into the Army, and will be a Signal Operator starting my BMQ on the 12th of September. My question is that I want to become an RCMP officer as well, and what I was wondering is if the military and my current occupation would look good when applying to any police service, as well if I am into the military for a few years can I easily switch to the RCMP and go through the entire recruiting process while I am still in the army, or would it be preferable to allow my three year contract to run out, and then apply as an RCMP officer.

Thanks for the help

As "noneck" said, continue with your military career path.  I would only suspect that you are still a student.  It's very important to continue your education (either high school or post secondary).  You can apply to RCMP while still a member of the CF and it doesn't matter what MOC you choose as long as you maintain an excellent track record.

Thanks for the response, I have done two years as an EPS Cadet were I learned drill, firearms, deportment, done ride alongs, as well as shown presentations by various specialized units within EPS, Canine Unit, Sex Crimes, IDENT, Tactical, etc. As for post secondary, I was torn between going regular force in the army and going to Northern College for Police Foundations in the spring and went with the regular force, are their any LE post secondary programs that I can take that are flexible for members of the Canadian Forces?

Check out Dalhousie University (Henson College) .... they have some correspondence courses specific to LE.  They are very good courses and come highly recommended.

Futuretrooper said:
Thanks for the response, I have done two years as an EPS Cadet were I learned drill, firearms, deportment, done ride alongs, as well as shown presentations by various specialized units within EPS, Canine Unit, Sex Crimes, IDENT, Tactical, etc. As for post secondary, I was torn between going regular force in the army and going to Northern College for Police Foundations in the spring and went with the regular force, are their any LE post secondary programs that I can take that are flexible for members of the Canadian Forces?

Humber College and Centennial College offer the ability to take Police Foundations courses online. Check the continuing education sections www.humber.ca www.centennialcollege.ca

Read the forum at http://www.blueline.ca  They have an excellent threat that deals specifically with recruiting issues.  Many of the members have previous military experience and could offer excellent suggestions

LIFE EXPERIENCE A MUST!!!  I capitalize, because that, above all else is what the RCMP is looking for.  Especially in this day and age where the recruits coming out of Depot are younger and younger...

MAC said:
Read the forum at http://www.blueline.ca   They have an excellent threat that deals specifically with recruiting issues.   Many of the members have previous military experience and could offer excellent suggestions

Thanks for the link, looks like it has some real good info.

Blackhorse7 said:
LIFE EXPERIENCE A MUST!!!  I capitalize, because that, above all else is what the RCMP is looking for.  Especially in this day and age where the recruits coming out of Depot are younger and younger...

Blackhorse nailed it. THe only reason I passed my interview was because of some army experiences at BMQ.

Also, remember during the interview to remember as much as you can! Go over it a few weeks in advance and write down memories that you think would be good for the interview, and remember them well. It isn't something that you can just go and do.

I also recommend heading to Moores and getting a nice suit.

I believe the University of Manitoba will give you University equivalence for military training. It's worth a check.

Make sure you have 6 months of living expenses banked. The RCMP no longer pays you as a Constable at depot. That means, if you plan on keeping your house (ie mortgage) while you are in training, don't expect any income from the RCMP.

They've changed the written test since I was accepted, but I believe the interview is still the same. My interview was over 4 hours long, and it was an enjoyable process. Try to be relaxed and don't sell any of your military experience short. If you have any interaction with people of cultures other than your own, make sure you bring that up. The interview used to count as much as your exam score, so it is important.

Why don't they pay at recruit depot ? Sounds pretty dumb who has 6 months expenses saved up ?

tomahawk6 said:
Why don't they pay at recruit depot ? Sounds pretty dumb who has 6 months expenses saved up ?

Considering most other police forces make you pay for training, as well as not pay you, the RCMP is rather generous.

Actually you do receive pay at Depot, however it is taken off at source to pay for R&Q, medical, dental and insurances. This will come as quite a surprise to most when they receive the T4 around tax time!

Yes it is quite a shock to the system and the finances to not be paid while at Depot. That being said , short term pain for long term gain. How many jobs that don't require any special entry requirements, top out after three years at $70,000.00?

The Royal Bank in Regina will also set up a line of credit for cadets while in training. As long as you don't go hog wild and shack up at the Delta every weekend ( because you can't live with 31 other people in the barracks room), you should do fine on a minimum budget of $5000.00.

Cheers
Noneck

The training at the Justice Institute of British Columbia charges somewhere around $10,000. However, the Vancouver Police Department, once you are hired pay you immediately, and the cost of training can be deferred and paid over a period of time. Just another option open to those interested.

Back