• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

War Movie Afficionado's: Please Help I.D. this film!

GregC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been trying hard to find a title of a war flick I saw on history channel awhile back, and decided that if a Canadian Army Forum can't find it, I'll have to give up!

Basically, the most recognizable thing about the movie (I only saw about half of it) was that much of it was narrated with THE THOUGHTS OF THE MAIN CHARACTER. When he went in to clear a small house, you could hear his thoughts as he rehearsed his tactics before opening a door, or clearing a room, and was really a very cool effect. The allied character in the film were also all British, if that helps.

At another point in the movie they take a German prisoner, and then attempt to make it back to their own lines.

However, in the end, as they are crossing a field to their own lines, their own men manning the trenches ahead accidently shoot them in a sad case of friendly fire, and that's where the film ends. Unfortunately I do not recall many more details, so I hope what I've written is enough.

If anyone could help me out I'd very much appreciate it, as I think this film would fit in nicely with my current DVD collection. Thanks again!

sounds alot like cross of iron, what with the troops shooting their own men on returning from a mission

but i dont believe so, the rest of you described isnt cross of iron

Sounds like Mission: NDHQ - where the fair haired commandoes are wiped out by the Weebees - We Be here before you got here and we be here after you leave here   :skull: :dontpanic:

The movie is called "A Long Day's Dying" or something like that. I don't know much more about it than that and the fact that it was a boring book to read. It's quite an anti-war film. Hope that helps.

Thanks alot Max.....I checked things out and "The Long Day's Dying" was indeed the title, thanks again!  :salute:

Unfortunately, neither Future Shop, A+B Sound, or even Rogers Video had it in stock, they didn't even have any records of such a movie!

Oh well, looks like this one will be a tough one to find, but should be worth it, as the 30 minutes or so I saw of the movie was quite incredible.

GregC, just had a quick look on imdb.com, which is pretty thorough on films and related celebs. Looks like the movie hasn't been released to video or DVD in any country, as many others are also looking for it. :( Also no sign of it on amazon.ca.

In spite of possible anti-war sentiments, it still sounds like it would make for very interesting viewing.

I've seen the movie you're talking about.
The main character hook line is "I'm a pacifist!"
But I haven't seen it in video stores or anywhere else except on the history channel.
let us know if and where you find it.

Back