• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

War Museum Controversy and Follow-up Thread [merged]

Of the three proposed my preferance was for option 3.

I didn‘t care for option 1 and wasn‘t big on 2.

I e-mailed them my opinion.

What does everyone else think?

I‘d have to say the 2nd option followed closely by the 3rd were my favourites.

I have no love for Option 1.. it almost seems like with that option that the CWM would be hidden, away from public eyes under the landscape. hah.. there‘s the Liberal Party‘s choice right there.

I liked Option 1 because it seemed to blend nicely into the terrain - a pseudo-battlefield setting.

hey i just thought i would share for those of you who don't know yet that the new Canadian war museum in Ottawa will be completed  and open to the public May 7-8 2005 the 7th is a open house and on the 8th there will be a opening ceremony in celebration of the 60th anniversary of VE day. here check it out.
http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/opening/celebrate_e.html

There will also be a living history display on the Friday before hand for Ottawa and area schoolchildiren, with the displays open to the public on the Saturday, to include re-created battles, running period vehicles and tanks, etc. in honour of VE Day - theme for his year's WE STAND ON GUARD will be "Operation PLUNDER."

From the event organizer:

The site is on the Ottawa River, 1.7 kilometers West of the New Canadian
War Museum. The site is opposite Rivenue Canada called Tunney's Pasture. It
is on National Capital Commission property at the Remic Rapids lookout on
the Ottawa River Parkway. It has woods, cover, picnic tables, paved access
road and the parliment buildings can be sen in the distance. While in this
location we will be treated to a light show every night which consists of 2
battreies of search lights. We will also be in the flight path of the
Lancaster bomber and the Spitfire. You will really love this site. It is on
high ground, great access to the public and yet you feel that you are in
the country. There is a paved bicycle path wide enough for a platoon of
troops 3 ranks deep and in walking distance of the new Canadian War Museum.

I saw the construction going on back in Oct of 03, it looked like it will be a nice museum, long overdue. It will definitely be on my list of things to see when I go to Ottawa this summer sometime.

Michael Dorosh said:
There will also be a living history display on the Friday before hand for Ottawa and area schoolchildiren, with the displays open to the public on the Saturday, to include re-created battles, running period vehicles and tanks, etc. in honour of VE Day - theme for his year's WE STAND ON GUARD will be "Operation PLUNDER."

From the event organizer:

The site is on the Ottawa River, 1.7 kilometers West of the New Canadian
War Museum. The site is opposite Rivenue Canada called Tunney's Pasture. It
is on National Capital Commission property at the Remic Rapids lookout on
the Ottawa River Parkway. It has woods, cover, picnic tables, paved access
road and the parliment buildings can be sen in the distance. While in this
location we will be treated to a light show every night which consists of 2
battreies of search lights. We will also be in the flight path of the
Lancaster bomber and the Spitfire. You will really love this site. It is on
high ground, great access to the public and yet you feel that you are in
the country. There is a paved bicycle path wide enough for a platoon of
troops 3 ranks deep and in walking distance of the new Canadian War Museum.

Do you have access to some sort of schedule? I'd like to be there, don't know if I can. I'm in Montreal and don't own a car, so I'd be of interest to make the decision to go. Maybe there are others going in Ottawa from Montreal area? Please PM me.

There is an article in today's edition of the Ottawa Citizen (front page) about the themes and certain
displays in the new National War Museum, planning for which commenced decades ago. It seems to
me that the concept being promoted to the visiting public may not be totally acceptable to many
Canadian veterans and members of the Canadian Forces - we will watch and see the the response,
if there is indeed, any. MacLeod 1 May 2005

The response to the new National War Museum which I mentioned in my last post, came today
from Journalist Peter Worthington Sun Newspapers, and is not a surprise. Unfortunately for Canada
and Canadian veterans and military, the new facility is under the aegis of the Canadian Museum
of Civilization, which is focused on essentially "left wing" issues in what they preceive to be
Canada's history - jeez I expected to hear "Solidarity Forever" being played on their sound system
- and many exhibits are, what you might call, "motivated". For instance, the bureaucrats in Heritage
Canada do not want to hear, that the Port of Halifax NS was founded by Royal Warrant, and focused
on providing a support base/port/drydocks, etc. for the Royal Navy. In 1749 the RN was charged
to protect British commercial shipping; their principal cargo, slaves - an historic fact, not subject to
dispute or debate. But the Ottawa crowd will not accept that unsavory fact - this attitude will be
reflected in the New War Museum, particulary their preception of Canada's role in the Korean War.
Worthington of course served in Korea with PPCLI. Clifford Chadderton OC, refused to attend the
official opening; again, no surprise. MacLeod

It appears that our beloved war Museum would like to highlight all aspects of the CF...

New museum to offer a diverse picture of war
CTV.ca News Staff
Housed in a striking new building, the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa hopes to tell both the glorious and shameful stories of the nation's military past when it officially opens this weekend.
"Our task is to show how Canadians have conducted themselves in war," says Laura Brandon, the museum's curator. "To show how it has brutalized some and how it has produced heroes in other respects... and how it reflects the complexity of the human condition in military times."
The complexity is evident in an abstract portrait of Kyle Brown, a private who was convicted of manslaughter in the torture and killing of a Somali teenager in 1993. That incident remains a stain on Canada's peacekeeping record.
"If you look at his hands, he's got a black cube in one hand and a white cube in the other hand, which symbolize the choices he could have made," Brandon says.
There are 24 such portraits. Brown's is in the first gallery visitors will enter at the museum.
Such attempts to challenge visitors and provoke discussion are found throughout the museum. But there are also scenes that simply touch the heart.
During the First World War, a young girl gave her daddy a teddy bear to help him stay safe overseas.
But the good wishes accompanying the bear weren't enough. The man died in 1917. His grave's location is unknown.
"He was a medic. He was on the field of battle, caring for a soldier. He was killed by shrapnel," says Tim Cook, a museum employee.
"When his body was found, they pulled the teddy bear off his body and sent it back to his family."
That bear is on display at the museum.
Historically, the museum covers the bow-and-arrow wars fought before Europeans arrive to the possibility of a missile-delivered thermonuclear apocalypse.
"This is your museum, your story, your legacy. This is about Canada," says Joe Geurts, the museum's director.
Upon leaving one gallery, visitors are encouraged to send a comment on pre-addressed postcards to political leaders, activists and even soldiers.
"It's a way to make people realize that their history is something that's not over; that history continues," Geurts says. "And if you want to contribute in your own way, a postcard is a very simple way to do that."
The museum cost $135 million, which experts say is a relative bargain compared to other museums around the world of its size and importance.
One example of the care paid to the design was one small room, empty except for the gravestone that marked where Canada's Unknown Soldier was buried in France during the First World War. There is one small window on the opposite wall.
On November 11, the light will shine through the window and directly illuminate that gravestone.
The opening ceremonies take place this coming weekend. Sunday marks the day the museum is officially opened. That date coincides with the 60th anniversary of V-E Day, the end of the Second World War in Europe.
With reports from CTV's David Akin and CJOH's Norman Fetterley

I find it hard to understand why those particular paintings were included in the museum.   I guess the incident is significant to our military history; it helped to bring a regiment to its knees. But, are there no other themes out there that better exemplified our commitment in Somalia?

And to think, my mannequin was pulled out, guess I wasn't Purdy enough hehehe

dileas

tess

i guess they were afraid you would scare little children tess.....you've had your 15 minutes !!  ;D

Is it really necessary to make Somalia a centerpiece?  Does America choose to focus on My Lai when they discuss the problems with Vietnam?

Well, they wanted to show the things did well, but also something we did that was bad, right?  So they probably figured it was either the Somalia incident, or that time the Minister of Defence forgot to pay his parking ticket.

Infanteer said:
Is it really necessary to make Somalia a centerpiece?   Does America choose to focus on My Lai when they discuss the problems with Vietnam?

summed it up right thre,

exactly what i wanted to convey

dileas

tess

I didn't really get the sense that the Museum is making somalia a centerpiece, I think the article makes it seems like it is however.

As I understand it, the Somalia portrait is in the first gallery and I assume amongst other paintings.
I think it's important we don't whitewash our history and present the good with the bad, I think the writer of the article is the culprit here for making the Somalia thing look like the central exhibit.

About time we got a proper war Museum, I visited the Imperial War Museum in London and it was absolutely amazing, free too if you're ever in the vicinity of Crystal Palace.

Infanteer said:
Does America choose to focus on My Lai when they discuss the problems with Vietnam?

US military museums can be quite selective in their presentation of US military history. I've visited several US museums, most recently the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox and the US Infantry Museum in Ft. Benning.

What struck me about the Infantry Museum is the lack of any mention at all of the War of 1812.  It never happened??  Maybe as this was one for the "loss" column, it isn't spoken about.  Similarly there is no mention (that I can recall) of My Lai.

I believe that if a museum purports to present history objectively, it's important that the good and bad be given their place on display, with neither overshadowing the other.  Like it or not, Somalia IS a part of our military history.

Sorry to hear you were yanked, Tess.  Maybe Mel Gibson will play you in the movie.  ;D

I forget who said it but, We learn more from the things we do wrong then those we do right.  Even our failures should be remembered.  But at the same time it is also important that things like the war museum highlight the success that we have had as a nation at war.  Those are the sorts of stories that bring pride to be a Canadian and a even more as a Canadian in the military. 

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" George Santayana

[Rant]
Now before I start I am and American citizen and have been since birth but I am a proud Canadian.  As for the Americans  they boost of a great military, true they have one the strongest force today.  But always seem to forget that every major war wasn't fought by them alone but by a collation of countries, including both Gulf wars and both World Wars.  My favoured  this Americans say is "Well if wasn't for us you would be speaking German."  While the inclusion of the US in WW2 did help turn the war for the Allies they weren't their alone in WW2.  But what I always say, "Well if it wasn't for the British you would all be speaking French."  This confuses them but what the hell, its easy but fun.
[Rant/]

What is hapenning is an outrage, there are 2 paintings depicting Clayton Matchee and Kyle Brown beating and torturing and killing that Somalian that will be in the new museum of Cliff Chadderton is livid. He is well known in the veteran community as well as head of War Amps Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/05/03/war-musuem050503.html

This is just an awful shame, Joe Geurts and Gertrude Kears should be ashamed. for even thinking of putting such a painting in the museum, I will never step foot in that building ever in my life, some 10,000 Canadian Airborne Regiment men have been put to shame because of the disbandment because of the action of two men, it was all political due the fact they had to shrink the budget at the time, but it looks like the shame will continue.

Back