• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapon tech posting

DeltaMike

Inactive
Reaction score
I read that for infantry, for example, after you 3's you choose the bat. you want to go to. So I am curious do weapon techs do the same and can choose if they want to get attached to an armored unit or infantry OR they get attached to a service bat. and provide their services for all units on the base?
THX

For starters,I'll say that I don't have a whole lot of experience in the posting department yet,but these are my experiences and observations so far.
Fresh off your 3's,you will probably be posted to a GS Battalion or Base Maint facility for OJT.Theses units will "farm out" their personal to other units so their people can get exposure to all the kit required for OJT.
Once 5's qualified,you can then ask for specific units that you want to be posted to.I was told that it is advantageous to pick units rather than bases as this will allow you to get to where you want to be rather than stuck wherever they can put you on a base.
Eg.Rather than just say "Pet",you would ask for 2 RCHA.This way,they know you don't want RCR,SVC Bat,or base maint(although it really doesn't matter,they'll stick you where they need you!Its nice to have a little bit of choice.).
Cheers

THX for the reply. One more question, if you don't mind: the trade description states that during the 3's there is some training in
"Operation of light armoured vehicles, armoured reconnaissance vehicles and armoured personnel carriers"  Can you elaborate this a bit. Is it just the weapons aspect or some general things like driving and basic maintanace as well. (just curious since I like vehicles too and that would be a huge bonus for me if that was actually the case)

Infantry get to pick their Regiment, after BIQ they go where the Reg't need them.

I would assume this goes for both Res an Regs.
I know some guys who are Reserve Weapon Techs, on their courses an OJT they had nothing to do with driving the vehicles or maintaining the vehicle(veh tech an crewman job) only the weapons.

DeltaMike said:
THX for the reply. One more question, if you don't mind: the trade description states that during the 3's there is some training in
"Operation of light armoured vehicles, armoured reconnaissance vehicles and armoured personnel carriers"  Can you elaborate this a bit. Is it just the weapons aspect or some general things like driving and basic maintanace as well. (just curious since I like vehicles too and that would be a huge bonus for me if that was actually the case)
What they are referring to is a small section on each vehicle in which we learn start-up,shut down and basic DI(driver inspections) on the vehicles.No driving,except for the brake test.Most all "non trade" vehicle qualifications you will get will be "for maintenance purpose only"which basically means you can start it,operate the controls and turn it off.

In my days, we had two Wpns Techs in an APC MRT in Germany with the Tanks, in which case you have to do all the Driver Maintenance, tighten tracks etc. as well as navigate and do Map work. I spent time driving as a Cpl and Crew Commander as a Mcpl. I loved the night Navs, and sometimes the Sgt Maj. would task me with leading the fuel carriers to the Tank hides late at night.

We were also the Carl Gustav crew for the Squadron, so we deployed during fuel leagers. We also had a GPMG on the Cupola, and C8 for my driver and a pistol for me, so lots of firepower.

Maybe one of you current Gunplummers can tell me if there are any Bison  or Lav type Wpns MRT's.

Cheers,
Gnplummer421 :cdn:

gnplummer421 said:
In my days, we had two Wpns Techs in an APC MRT in Germany with the Tanks, in which case you have to do all the Driver Maintenance, tighten tracks etc. as well as navigate and do Map work. I spent time driving as a Cpl and Crew Commander as a Mcpl. I loved the night Navs, and sometimes the Sgt Maj. would task me with leading the fuel carriers to the Tank hides late at night.

We were also the Carl Gustav crew for the Squadron, so we deployed during fuel leagers. We also had a GPMG on the Cupola, and C8 for my driver and a pistol for me, so lots of firepower.

Maybe one of you current Gunplummers can tell me if there are any Bison  or Lav type Wpns MRT's.

Cheers,
Gnplummer421 :cdn:

I was talking to a Veh-Tech from 2 Svc Bn Pettawawa on friday night who gave a lecture at the Moss Park Armouries, and he told me he spent a fair bit of time in a Bison MRT when he was over in A-Stan.  and talking to a FCS Tech and Weap Tech from the school in Borden on the weekend they were saying they were both Qual-ed on the LAV-Coyote... since they were they only two guys there who were Driving it at the recruiting Fair.

Hope that helps.
josh

Back