• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapon Techs?

B

bennjallan

I am currently in the reserves, but have intentions to join the reg force once I am finished school. Hopefully, I‘ll be doing my MOC training this summer, which I can‘t wait to do (just came off BMQ, SQ this summer, and loved every minute of it!). I have two questions. firstly, what is the weapons tech trade course like? And secondly, what is like being a reg force weapons tech? I‘ve already talked to guys in my unit, but I was just wondering if there was anyone on this board who could provide insight on their experience. Cheers!
:fifty:

ArmyBoy,

What specifically do you want to know? I am a weapons tech, formerly reg force.

I‘m specicfically wondering what the course is like and what you thought of it (i.e. is the material hard or easy, what exactly do you do on course) and what your experience as a weapons tech in the reg force was like (is it an interesting career, did you enjoy it). Basically, I‘m just trying to get an idea of what to expect on course and as a weapons tech in the reg force. any info or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ArmyBoy,

I did my TQ3 in 1989 so things may have changed a bit there! Still, I know some of the instructors there now and I don‘t believe its that much different. You will live in barracks and march to class each day with your course. You may march to class with another course if one is going on at the time (TQ5, french, etc.). You will be in classes such as common hand tools (LOL), metal working, electrical, hydraulics, etc., (basic courses) and trades courses such as small arms (C7, 8, 9, Carl G, pistols, revolvers, sniper rifle,etc). Then armament section: cougar, grizzly turrets, artillery guns, etc. You will do hands on classes (stripping/assembly/repair) and lecture (memorization of technical info). The course is six months long and if you enjoy doing mechanical work, taking things apart and troubleshooting problems you will enjoy it. Be prepared for a lowering of standards in regards to conduct and PT, etc. in Borden from what may happen in basic training.

I enjoyed the course. It was alot of fun and interesting most of the time. I was top student on my course. Although its a military course the instructors are there to help you. You can ask them for extra help if required but its best to do the work on your own if possible. You will have a bit of homework and you will have to study for exams (PO‘s)as per any course. We also had required PT classes which were lame such as water polo and badminton. You had to go but continue to PT on your own. You will have harder PT when you get to your unit (usually). We did no PT with our instructors.

Once posted you will begin your QL4 program which is an OJT program and done at the unit. You will be responsible for doing work orders just like anyone else and eventually you will have things signed off from your OJT book. Once you are finished that book you are "4"s qualified and will be put on the list for your QL5 course where you will return to Borden and do your "3"s all over again only in more depth. Once completed, you will be able to work on your own with no supervision and run a shop, for example. There may be certain things at your unit you will have difficulty signing off; these are usually signed off anyway (for example, I was asked if I had worked on any hydraulic equipment. Upon answering "no" they asked me if I had ever had my hands in hydraulic fluid. I said "yes" and it was signed off. LOL

Hope this helps you. If you have anymore questions just ask.

wow! Thanks alot for all the info. I can‘t wait to get on course, and hopefully someday run my own shop. Thanks again!
Arte et Marte

ArmyBoy,

No problem, glad to be of help to you. I‘m glad you are excited about going on course. We need highly motivated people in every trade. What‘s your timeline? Have you got a date to leave?

If I were to guess, I would say he‘s doing prep towards his EME Common since he‘s in the Reserves.

I remember chats about what pre-requisites CFSEME needs vs. what CFSEME would like (but would be nice to have before going onto course) and could make up later in Borden.

You‘re right SpinDoc, I‘m starting my EME common course after Christmas, so I should be ready for my course in the summer.

ArmyBoy,

How long is the reserve EME Commom?  

Good luck on your winter course and good luck on your trades training in the summer.  Just remember, STUDY.

hey guys... armyboy? r you going to st. jean this january? or are you going in summer? still in highschool?? lol, i know my name is kinda like yours, but my bf is going to FCS (fire control systmes) in january.. just wonderin if you were goin the same way..

From the sound of it, I think CFB Borden is probably a better bet, since CFSEME is there... I think ArmyBoy has done up to SQ already for his basic...

ah ok.. my bfs got his BT then POET.. st jean, borden, then kingston... :( lol its gonna be a long haul for him

HAHA, I like your name ArmyBoyzGurl!! Rock On!! :D
Spin Doc is right again though, I‘ll be going to CFB Borden this summer.
I will be doing my EME common course through my unit after Christmas, which I believe goes until at least April and then hopefully be off to CFB Borden this summer for my Weapons Tech course.
I wish your BF the best of luck on his courses, it sounds like he does have a lot of moving around to do. I know that can be especially hard on relationships :( , but I imagine you guys will be alright.
Thanks again to Brin11 for the info and advice. I‘ll Study hard!!
Arte et Marte

If you can manage to get a car and keep it at Borden, it‘s great... that or you‘ll need to suck up to someone with a car, because that means you can go home on the weekend (or just go to Barrie).

Borden is a very spread out base too... so having a car to go to the Canex or Tim Hortons is a bit of a pain after a long day of classes... so having a car (or a bike) helps. I don‘t know what the living arrangement is for the ORs, but there were bike racks and places to store a bike (and park cars) at the officers‘ quarters. :D No tent city a la Meaford.

Last I knew POET training was in Kingston and then you moved on to Borden for FCS training. May have changed since though.

ArmyBoy, you definitely will be in shacks. No tent city. You should be able to store a bike if you want and, SpinDoc is right, a car is very useful in Borden. You will be very bored there without one. Barrie is a nice town and has grown ALOT since I was around there.

:)

oops, yah, my bad.. oh, hey.. apparantly, my bf was told FCS techs are on the "front lines"... is that a load of BS? or is it true?? i thought they‘d say that to scare ‘em or sompin.. but i think he‘s gettin freaked...

yah, but i‘m pretty sure its a load of bs.. well, i hope, cuz then he might come home.. i guess.

Hi gang,

I can tell you that as a wpns tech or Fcs for that matter, you will be where your troops are. For example, when I was with the Hussars in Germany, we were attached to the tank squadrons, and we followed close behind the Tanks in our APC's. Two wpns techs in one carrier, two FCS in another carrier, two vehicle techs etc. This was a while back and we were mechanized, and our techs were de-centralized. Each Squadron of tanks had at least two of each relevant supporting trade. The only wheeled vehicle we had was our troop warrant and his driver, the Sigs guy.  This meant that we made critical decisions with regards to trade related events, and there was pressure. At night, either the FCS carrier or the Wpns carrier had to lead the fuel carriers to the tanks, which were hidden in various locations, so map reading was essential as well. I think to sum it up, if you carry yourself to a strong work ethic, and dedicate yourself to the job at hand, you will be a good Gunplummer and the respect will come from your hard work. It feels good when some Tanker/Herbie/Grunt (sorry) comes to you at night, buys you a beer and tells you he appreciated that you fixed his gun in such a timely and proffessional manner. And one last thing...all Wpns Techs are a little crazy..a unique breed..we rock in other words.

brin11 said:
ArmyBoy,

How long is the reserve EME Commom?  

Good luck on your winter course and good luck on your trades training in the summer.  Just remember, STUDY.

eme common can be run on weekends or during the summer. My summer Eme common was 3 weeks long, I believe the weekend eme common is 10 weekends.

The reserve TQ3's (QL3's or whatever you want to call it) Is 3 months long for reserve weapons techs, and its only small arms. etc... A reservist can jump on a reg force course, but after the 3 months of basic hand tools and small arms, their course ends while the reggies stay for another 3 months.

Back