• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapons modification RANT.

Quagmire said:
I would think that cmbt changes perceptions. 
indeed. And, as the veterans of this most recent conflict rise through the ranks (which they will. Quickly, considering the retention issues) and others are posted to schools, the mentality that scares me in regards to advocating kit modification will no doubt disappear.

And Infidel-6 will reign supreme!

Many of us that have just returned from the latest roto had the benefit of a CofC that realy listened.  During pretraining straight from the CO and RSM we were given permission to try any gear combo, sight combo whatever to see if it would work better than the issue.  The caveat was that the issue piece had to be in your kit bag in case the one you bought broke.  I had an Aimpoint M68 and ras II as well as a sweet rig hellcat mk2. Many UCR's went in as a result.  It all proved out in the field so I was allowed to use it.  As guys got opportunity to swap/buy kit from the yanks everyone got what worked for them.  The "you havent zeroed with that scope"  crap disappeared when we realized as soon as you are outside you can do a "Show of force"  or Zero Confirm" against any rock or impromptu range as long as you radio it in.  We did however swallow some pride and put away some of the non issue stuff while visiting KAF as not to offend the "other trades".

Here is my rifle as used in afghanistan.  It started as a C7a2, the C8 flat top heavy barrel (FTHB) upper was issued as a seperate item in theatre. The 20'' upper then went into storage.
When you are authorized to do so, care must be taken when mounting optics to a Canadian upper reciever. While they look similar, Canadian standard rail and US 1913 picatinny are NOT the same.
The gaps where the crossbolts or tightening screws go through are narrower on Can manufactured weapons. If the crossbolts on your particular scope mount are round, you will be fine. If your crossbolts are square edged they are for US rail and will not fit through the gaps in Diemaco uppers. Just take your triad, hold it beside your Canadian upper to see the difference.  The triad is to US spec.  This is a little known but well documented fact. See "The Black Rifle",  by Collector Grade Publications.

Jay4th

That's a nice piece of kit, please excuse me I need to go get a towel to wipe the drool of my keyboard

Nice set up.  But you know somewhere there is someone here that is just burning to jack you up for leaning your weapon on a truck (the ultimate TQ-2 sin, back in the day...)  ;D

No doubt, but I figured better there than laying on the ground.  Though it couldn't  have made it much dirtier.  Thank God for the air hose on the LAV. :)

Whatcha do lose to that cool rear BIS I sold you  ???  Black -- I see why you dont paint your home rifle but really the go to war gun look much better in tan  ^-^
  I'll give you a call tomorrow - I'm back from cottage -- I kinda stood up your bro and John (more to follow)

Somewhat related to the topic. . .

Has anyone tried the detachable 3x sight for the aimpoint?

Yea, if you want magnification, go for the Acog TA31 4x mag.  Price is about the same @ $1000CDN 

I played with the Aimpoint magnifier briefly -(albiet on a EOTECH - which it works for as well)- making fully beleive if you want a Aimpoint that magnifies get a S&B Short Dot  ;D

Seriously it is a lot easier to move a power ring on a variable scope from 1.1 to 4x than it is to open a pouch, remove the magnifier and afix it to the weapon.

The USSOC SOPMOD has affixed Dr Optic min-red dots to all the TA 4X sights in its inventory (both TA01NSN and TA31 -- and  it is a standard fixture on the TA31DOC) to augment the CQB ability of that series

we could 'enhance' our weapons as longs as the tech's signed off on it, which they did

eotech's are fine, i had one on this last tour, but scopes still need to be used, c-8 heavy barrel is great, and although our m203 is heavy compared to some it's still fine, but the ammo for it needs to be improved or just by american HEDP for it

a weapon is kinda like a hockey stick, ive played my whole life and damn near everyone tapes or cuts his stick his own way, or has that little tweak that makes it work for him, weapons that save your life should at least be as personal as your puck wacker

bringing things back to my fears about troops modifying things without the full knowledge and support of their CoC:

C Coy has been given a complete kit list for their upcoming deployment with 2 RCR. It's detailed right down to where they will carry what items in their Tac Vest. Yeah - Tac Vest. Now, if Pte Skippy were to go trotting in with a modded-out C7 and chest rig, how long do you think his tour pay would have lasted?

We ain't out of the woods yet. Now, perhaps things will loosen up in theatre. But I doubt it.

1 Chicken seems to be relaxing -- talking to a Sgt with 2VP with them they are using chest rigs and weapon mods -- AND the Chickens are follwing suit (THE HORROR  ;D)

2Chick will no doubt be too angry about the hair and sideburns of the 3VP contingent they will not notice the unbloused boots and hiking boots (and tan rifles etc.) 

Jay4th said:
Here is my rifle as used in afghanistan. 

Nice......Things have come a long way.  Regarding the rear aperture sight, I was issued one as a "backup" while in Bosnia in 1997.  It was plastic and generally of crappy quality.  Is that the same type, or have they made improvments to the constuction (namely making it out of metal)  Or is it something you picked up?

Take it easy

Most guys I know buy quality back up iron sights... the plastic issue one is junk and breaks easily.

The diemaco plastic crappy back up sight is still issued. :(  I-6 my good back up wouldn't stay torqued on the Canadian upper due to the different specs. >:(  As stated above several times and in other weapons threads  Get the blessing of the chain of command before attaching anything usefull to your rifle.  Surprisingly, about half my guys liked the C79 Elcan for locating and identifying, HOWEVER, many had never been exposed to a decent combat optic.

we could wear our own rigs thankfully, since 10 mags is a must and our issue rigs aren't really suited for access to more then 4 quickly, my c-9 gunners used their old style web gear to carry their ammo, cuz again the new vest is not ideal for a c-9 gunner

very early on our tour we were told if we had done anything to our weapons to have a tech sign off on it, so we all went and had them inspected even if it was just a forward grip etc. everyones bum was then covered, C o C was happy, we were happy, guns were happy and painted and tricked out

the elcan worked fine, some scopes are needed even in close TIC's cuz timmy taliban likes to mousehole and this often hid his weapon signature, but dude with a scope could find him now and then, a sprinkling of eotech's and other same type sights is great too cuz some TIC's at 25-50m require fast target acquisition

Jay and BDS (great movie BTW) -- hence the need for a Cbt variable scope.
Keep chanting Schmitt and Bender and maybe the UCR fairy will come up with something (like a cliff) to drop the C79 series off of.

Same issues in urban cbt with assholes hiding in building and crowds - they have learned (the hard way) we are much better marksman and they cant engage us in an open field (that and of course we use CAS  ;D -- the only fair fight is the fight you won...)

Infidel-6 said:
1 Chicken seems to be relaxing -- talking to a Sgt with 2VP with them they are using chest rigs and weapon mods -- AND the Chickens are follwing suit (THE HORROR  ;D)
SAY IT AIN'T SO! ;)

Infidel-6 said:
  2Chick will no doubt be too angry about the hair and sideburns of the 3VP contingent they will not notice the unbloused boots and hiking boots (and tan rifles etc.) 
:rofl:
Now THAT'S funny!  (But, probably true).
Having said that, the current RSM used to be on the ski team, so, maybe not ?

Back