• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WEAPONS TECHNICIAN - LAND

DAA said:
Would you be "more" interested in Cook if the CF paid for you to go to College for a full year?

Cook NCM STEP (Paid Education)  -  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/cook-80#education

Not really, but according to the website they're in need of Cooks (seemingly more than anything else). My uncle and his wife are cooks on one of the bases in Alberta so I'll ask them some questions about it to see if it piques my interest. I'm really interested in cooking, but same with weapons and the medical field. I've always had a problem with narrowing down my interests.

Thank you for getting back to me so fast!

I have birth defects that I thought for a long time disqualified me from ever joining the military, simple as that because while they're no harm to anyone else or myself in normal circumstances, I can't be involved in any contact sports and combat obviously goes way beyond a contact sport like football.
But their site says:
"You will not be disqualified based on a diagnosis or disease." And also says it will just narrow the career options available to you.

I assumed a part time position in any of those three (I'm amazed they had part time positions) means I would be staying in Canada somewhere, and not leaving to another country that is immersed in combat. But if I either joined full time, or a war against Canada/Canada against another country, would I be made to deploy anyways? If I am a tech or cook part time or full time, would I still be deployed with my birth defects? I don't want to sound cowardly, but I don't think I could leave Canada to be in combat just because of my birth defects.
Someone said with the defects I wouldn't be 'qualified for combat.' So with the defects I'm still (so says the website) able to get a job, but would my defects disqualify me from ever being in combat?

I'm sorry if that was incoherent and/or repetitive, I'm in a rush.

Thank you!

TJ97 said:
I have birth defects that I thought for a long time disqualified me from ever joining the military, simple as that because while they're no harm to anyone else or myself in normal circumstances, I can't be involved in any contact sports and combat obviously goes way beyond a contact sport like football.
But their site says:
"You will not be disqualified based on a diagnosis or disease."
And also says it will just narrow the career options available to you.

This is the second time that I've seen someone quote that sentence in the hope that it forgives all sorts of limitations.  I commented on it previously in the other thread.  I suggest you read what I wrote. http://army.ca/forums/threads/13192/post-1350203.html#msg1350203

Additionally, all recruits must meet the same Common Enrolment Medical Standard.

Blackadder1916 said:
This is the second time that I've seen someone quote that sentence in the hope that it forgives all sorts of limitations.  I commented on it previously in the other thread.  I suggest you read what I wrote. http://army.ca/forums/threads/13192/post-1350203.html#msg1350203

Additionally, all recruits must meet the same Common Enrolment Medical Standard.

Thank you! :) And I do understand that if it was something crippling or potentially harmful to others/myself I would be disqualified, and I'm fine with that because it's a completely reasonable rule. However because the defects I have only restrict me from certain things and not anything I imagine (I am only guessing) basic training would be, I'm hopeful. And honestly I don't think the defects would really affect me. I did a lot of life-threatening stunts as a younger kid and we didn't find out about the defects as most are internal until years later. The only concern I have is my neck which I will be sure to bring up before I even seriously think of applying. I will start exercising more soon (once it's not -20, -35 here) either way so I'm actually doing something if there is a chance I won't be disqualified.

If I do talk to a recruiter (if I do it won't be until maybe November/December/January), I'll be sure to bring all this up before I make the decision to apply. I'd try to go earlier, August/September but I'm having surgery on my hand early September so I don't think I should show up with a cast on my hand.

My uncle and aunt work as civilians (uncle used to be a reservist) as cooks on a base and my Mom mentioned it might be a good idea to see if I could help them or tag along while they worked for a week or two in the summer. I went once last summer but only to walk around the base, my uncle wanted to show his grandson off so I went with. So I saw the kitchen and walked around the halls but that's about it. And the bison that they keep on base. So I'm going to talk to him and see what he thinks about it all and take that into consideration as well.

Also, I can't (right now anyways) lay my right hand flat, fingers splayed on the ground/wall. For pushups, could I do them on my knuckles instead of my hands/palms? I've asked around and people are saying it wouldn't count as 'cheating' in normal circumstances, but would that be allowed there or no?

TJ97 said:
For pushups, could I do them on my knuckles instead of my hands/palms? I've asked around and people are saying it wouldn't count as 'cheating' in normal circumstances, but would that be allowed there or no?

The CAF .pdf attachment ( below ) explains and demonstrates "Push-Up Protocol" with photos.

This may be a better place to ask Push-Up questions:

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13145.0/nowap.html

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I completed my Aptitude and Physical test, To my excitement I qualified for all of my local Units Jobs/Trades! However the one that caught my Eye the most is the Weapons Technician (Land). And my question is to see if there are any Weapon Techs on here willing to give me some advice on the Trade and maybe to Share with me what a day as a Weapons Tech is like? I have used the Search Option and read through all the Weapon Tech Threads I could find. However most of these Threads are older and with so many Updates in the Forces over the past few years I really just want to see what the Job is like.

Thank you for your time!

-Shawn 

See also,

Reserves Weapons Tech 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/19296.25.html
2 pages

Last active: November 04, 2014

If my Background goes through OK at the End of February ill get to start my career as a Weapons Technician :)

You're in luck, most of our weapons systems in the Army, especially at the PRes level, have barely changed since most of the threads here were created. The information is likely pretty up to date for recruit purposes.

Back