• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (Cadets)

dogger1936 said:
I was 18 and told to report to battle school in CF after my Christmas leave. New years eve I was waiting at a friends place to go to the airport in my then bland blank DEU. A drunk came up and began to tell me how he would never quit drinking (explaining how he had his drinking well in control) and tried to give me money for the poor. It was at that point it all came together and I told the man I was military and not a member of the Sally ann.

After a mess dinner, a crowd went out for a drink and the sergeant major alone was denied entry. On asking what the problem was, the doorman replied that while they were pretty full, the army guys could come in. The bellboy could not. The sergeant major, of course, was the only one in mess dress.

Brasidas said:
After a mess dinner, a crowd went out for a drink and the sergeant major alone was denied entry. On asking what the problem was, the doorman replied that while they were pretty full, the army guys could come in. The bellboy could not. The sergeant major, of course, was the only one in mess dress.

Outstanding! I hope someone said "the bell boy's with me" ;D

Happened to be in Niagara Falls many years ago, in uniform, and was asked what time did the lights come on for the Falls.

Wasn't the guy who was slashed in Nanaimo in uniform at the time? I guess sometimes being in uniform would make you a target to some left-wing nutcases. 

Cui said:
Wasn't the guy who was slashed in Nanaimo in uniform at the time? I guess sometimes being in uniform would make you a target to some left-wing nutcases.

The guy in Nanaimo was almost certainly slashed by a meth/crackhead who probably has not got a well articulated political position. There aren't too many "left wing nutcases" in that city anyhow.  I'm a left wing nutcase myself and like others of my ilk prefer Victoria, where I regularly wear my uniform in public.  I have never had any sort of problem.

People give you a top gun salute, followed by ridiculous comments. It's the main reason I didn't wear my uniform in Cadets or the Military too often.

Pat in Halifax said:
That said, nothing pisses me off more than seeing some clown wondering through a store looking like shit. When I am in uniform, it is not an issue (though my wife used to get embarrassed, now she just says "Oh Oh" and stands back to 'watch') but if I am in civis too, I find some of the response are quite colourful. If I get a name (which I have), I look them up in OUTLOOK and send an email to their Unit CWO/CPO. The majority of the time (oddly enough), they are Officers. (in Ottawa anyway)

While in uniform, keep your dress and deportment and conduct (comments) in check, there is always someone who will report it and you won't even notice the guy, followed by getting called into the office by your supervisor.

In the military you screw up, correct it, move on. If someone doesn't like you, do you get posted to a different unit? No, you work together and make the best of it.
Civilian side, things are much more petty...
If the "Client" doesn't like you, (even if your doing your job properly) you get sent somewhere else.

Regardless of career directions (civilian or military), keep your dress & deportment, including what you say in check. It will help prepare you for entering the workforce.

and you never know who is watching - even in Europe.  Was at a Ceremony this evening and saw an officer (and cadets) in  civis, and headdress......saluting.

ArmySailor said:
and you never know who is watching - even in Europe.  Was at a Ceremony this evening and saw an officer (and cadets) in  civis, and headdress......saluting.

Did you quietly take the Officer aside and correct him/her?

sprl said:
Wearing the uniform in public (in accordance with regs of course) is an important Public Affairs function (it ain't just for paffos anymore ;)).  How many times have members complained about a fundamental disconnect between the military with the rest of the pop?  A visible presence in public (especially by reservists) is an important reminder to the public that the CF is ultimately drawn from and part of society.

(On the OPs note, this is the only one of these memes I found remotely interesting or funny:)

Sh** Civilians Say to Veterans:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Esni1RbwU

For those of us that enjoy at least a decent frozen budget, as opposed to a shrinking budget... We NEED civilian buy in that we are worth it. Sometimes it truly is as simple as being out in uniform for everyone see see us (so long as our dress and deportment are above board).

The citizens need to know we are there, and more importantly, that we are one of them... Not some rabid dog to be chained in the back yard and fed table scraps.

ArmySailor said:

Oh my... what tragedy...  :facepalm:

I remember (as many on here do )when we were not allowed to stop for anything in uniform unless we were in DEUs (CFs at the time) Then things lightend up a bit and we could stop for gas or go to a convenient store to pick up quick items.  It is much better now, any one that rush to get out of their uniform or tries to wear it as little as possible then you really should rethink your career choice.  On the same note I HATE seeing people out in stores pumping gas, or wandering around with out their head dress on. it really erks the hell out of me

ArmySailor said:

Wow, really? Did you happen to take any pictures?

lethalLemon said:
Oh my... what tragedy...  :facepalm:

I know I should write my MP! call the newsmedia! :nod:

Hahaha not really -  it amused me for a bit, and I shook my head.

Teeps74 said:
For those of us that enjoy at least a decent frozen budget, as opposed to a shrinking budget... We NEED civilian buy in that we are worth it. Sometimes it truly is as simple as being out in uniform for everyone see see us (so long as our dress and deportment are above board).

The citizens need to know we are there, and more importantly, that we are one of them... Not some rabid dog to be chained in the back yard and fed table scraps.

You just described me. I do everything I can do not wear my uniform in public. You know why? Because in most places where the majority of full time pers are employed, there is a huge military population with a well deserved bad reputation. When people see someone in uniform, but off duty, they immediately judge you. As a single person who tries to be socially active, the last thing I need to be known as is "an army guy" because people expect me to abuse women and break into push up competitions in public.  As far as I'm concerned unless it's an urgent errand or totally "on the way home from work" anyone I see in uniform is just desperate for attention.

To tell me I'm not proud of what I've done and what I do is an insult to me. Just because I don't wander around in public smugly wearing my uniform as if I'm showing off doesn't mean I'm not proud of it. 90% of the people I see walking around in uniform are no-hooks that are just out of/in training who think they're the coolest people in the world, and they'll wander around the mall for hours dressed like that.

18 year old douche bags wearing aviators in uniform aren't going to win over the public. Nice parades and family days and an official public presence will.

Snaketnk said:
You just described me. I do everything I can do not wear my uniform in public. You know why? Because in most places where the majority of full time pers are employed, there is a huge military population with a well deserved bad reputation. When people see someone in uniform, but off duty, they immediately judge you. As a single person who tries to be socially active, the last thing I need to be known as is "an army guy" because people expect me to abuse women and break into push up competitions in public.  As far as I'm concerned unless it's an urgent errand or totally "on the way home from work" anyone I see in uniform is just desperate for attention.

To tell me I'm not proud of what I've done and what I do is an insult to me. Just because I don't wander around in public smugly wearing my uniform as if I'm showing off doesn't mean I'm not proud of it. 90% of the people I see walking around in uniform are no-hooks that are just out of/in training who think they're the coolest people in the world, and they'll wander around the mall for hours dressed like that.

18 year old douche bags wearing aviators in uniform aren't going to win over the public. Nice parades and family days and an official public presence will.

I think we have covered both extremes here.  One the person who "over extends their 'stops' on the way from work" and the other who can't get home fast enough to get out of uniform.  I see no problem with the middle ground: the 'quick stop' enroute to do some Pers Admin; not the go home, pick up the wife and kids and go to Walmart (which I have seen.........adds to those Walmart People sites  ::)  )......

I see no problem with the middle ground: the 'quick stop' enroute to do some Pers Admin; not the go home, pick up the wife and kids and go to Walmart (which I have seen.........adds to those Walmart People sites  ::)  )......

Like          :+1:

I am with snaketnk on this, and was what I was saying earlier in the thread. I do not feel some great rush of pride when I put on the uniform, for it is just that, a set of clothing I wear to work. When told I am to wear DEU's my reaction is not much different, except for a little increased annoyance at having to wear something uncomfortable so generals and the like can puff their chests out a little bit more.

If anything, I also go out of my way to not wear uniform in public because I find the 'thanks for what you do, let me buy you coffee'-thing rather embarrassing. I do not need thanks for what I do, that is what my paycheque is for, but I do realise it actually makes the person thanking me feel better about themselves rather than make me feel better.

To suggest that I am not suited for this occupation because I feel this way is really quite idiotic. Do you know what I have done thus far in my career? Probably not......

Also, to those harking on about dress and deportment, sure, agreed, look smart. But I also ask, would your average civvy really notice a soldier with boots untidily bloused or hair touching his ears? No, they see the uniform and think 'soldier', not 'soldier who looks a bit scruffy'. I am not condoning this, just posing the question.

Also, to those harking on about dress and deportment, sure, agreed, look smart. But I also ask, would your average civvy really notice a soldier with boots untidily bloused or hair touching his ears? No, they see the uniform and think 'soldier', not 'soldier who looks a bit scruffy'. I am not condoning this, just posing the question.

I think they would notice, especially if the soldier in question was standing beside somone who did look good.  They might be civies but even the dumbest 5 year old can play 'one of these things is not like the other'.

Towards_the_gap said:
I am with snaketnk on this, and was what I was saying earlier in the thread. I do not feel some great rush of pride when I put on the uniform, for it is just that, a set of clothing I wear to work. When told I am to wear DEU's my reaction is not much different, except for a little increased annoyance at having to wear something uncomfortable so generals and the like can puff their chests out a little bit more.

If anything, I also go out of my way to not wear uniform in public because I find the 'thanks for what you do, let me buy you coffee'-thing rather embarrassing. I do not need thanks for what I do, that is what my paycheque is for, but I do realise it actually makes the person thanking me feel better about themselves rather than make me feel better.

To suggest that I am not suited for this occupation because I feel this way is really quite idiotic. Do you know what I have done thus far in my career? Probably not......

I understand what you are saying and in an earlier post, I had mentioned 'picking someone up'. I am talking more of the guy walking through the Mall, winter parka undone, hands in his pocket, talking on a cell phone. Depending on severity, situation and surroundings, I may 'let it go' and stew over it!

As for those in communities where the uniform may invoke a bad image because of a few a**holes, re-muster, join the Navy and wear a sailor suit - Everyone loves a sailor!

Pat in Halifax said:
I am talking more of the guy walking through the Mall, winter parka undone, hands in his pocket, talking on a cell phone.
  I see you've been to the Rideau Centre.  >:D

Back