• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weird situation with issued clothing.

Andyd513

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm a reservist, if you're really curious on more info you can check my profile.

During my 3's this past summer my crse warrant decided he wanted us all to have the IECS combat jackets for inspection. I still had the old denim one. He gave us an extended lunch to go to the base clothing stores and have them exchanged. Being the course senior for the day I allowed the rest of the people that needed it to go ahead of me in line and exchange items. When I went last I was extremely short on time. The clerk at the counter ended up giving me a parka with no hood on it instead of a goretex jacket, and in my rush I signed forit and ran to meet our timing. My MCpl noticed it during an inspection that week, and I returned to the clothing stores to return the parka.

Another clerk was there and said, sorry we're out of IECS jackets in your size, I'll give you a chit and we'll call you when your jacket comes in. They even took my cell phone number incase I was no longer on course when it came.

Needless to say, its been months. Noone has ever called me and I do not have a combat jacket, only a parka. I have since lost the chit that they gave me, however I know the clothing stores there had a copy as I saw them put it in my file.

Basically what I'd like to know is - would my file stay in Kingston or follow me back to my unit? And if anyone has any bright ideas how to approach this I'm open to feedback. Currently I'm just goign to write a memo stating the situation and handing it into my QM.

I guess I should mention that there is a warning posted in my armouries as well stating we are out of all the proper sizes of IECS jackets, including my size, so its doubtful whether I'll be able to get it issued.

Make do with what you have - though your clothing docs are all electronic so it should be noted that you got a parka - And I would just say just keep an eye out/ phone on to supply wrt availability of x items.

Why don't you make an appoinment at the nearest ASU/Clothing Stores?

Nearest "true" ASU is about an hour away, and almost impossible for me to make as I work 8:30-4:30 every day driving away from my unit and my ASU. Pretty much the only time I can do it is on my parade night or a weekend.

Regardless I'll be putting in a memo and going to talk with my SQMS on this parade night. I just want to CMA so I don't end up paying for a jacket or anything, i guess i just have to trust that the log guys in Kingston updated my clothing docs properly.

You could talk with you work to see if they'd let a proud CF member improve his duty to the CF... Shop's unlikely to be open on the weekend

ugh...I'm not a fan of Clothing stores in Kingston...

had a tear in the pocket of my Gore-tex. On inspection, MasterJack notices, and tells me to get it replaced. So I go at lunch...

This bored looking Pte looks at me, and right off the bat says, I probably don't have one in your size, so I tell her that's fine, I'll take the next size up, or the next size down. If not, I'll take a sewing kit, and fix it myself...I even told her I'd take one of the Vietnam style jackets.

She takes my coat, tosses it in a bin, and goes to look for some...no dice...doesn't have the next size up, or the next size down..not allowed to sow it yourself, and can't do anything for me. OK, give me back my jacket. No, you can't have it. she just wouldn't give it back, even after I told her I was going in the field in a week.

She said I was lucky it was summer. So I told her I wanted to see the clothing docs that said I didn't have a coat anymore.

Ottawa Clothing stores....Much better, never any problems

Des

Get her name and forward a complaint up your Chain and down hers.  She may not be there next time.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Des

Get her name and forward a complaint up your Chain and down hers.  She may not be there next time.   ;D

Oh, don't you worry George, I had my vengeance, and it was sweet  >:D

lol, well Des if you saw me walking around without a jacket last weekend and you were wondering why theres your reason. I was so happy we were in civis.

Andy_d said:
lol, well Des if you saw me walking around without a jacket last weekend and you were wondering why theres your reason. I was so happy we were in civis.

Yeah...I loved being OPFOR...best part of the ex was reporting to the WO, and him telling me to change into civvies, and go to ground till noon

Andy_d said:
Hey guys,
there's been a message out for over a year now about the critical shortages of IECS (suspected that's what you saw posted on the wall). It's not being bought (or made anymore) because it's being replaced with ICE. So as this stuff becomes unserviceable/ripped/torn etc...there becomes less and less of it out there to issue. All 10 of the most common sizes are practically depleted from the system now.

So Andy_D...First, the clothing you were at on your 3s probably did order the gortex jacket for you...and you are still waiting because there is simply none left in the system in your size, so the Item manager in Ottawa probably cancelled your order....as they can't ship what isn't out there to be had.

That being said, the Sup Tech you dealt with cleary f'd up, as the same message about the shortages also states that affected personnel are to retian/or be issued with the OD combat jacket (the "Vietnam" jacket-courdroy type) as an interim measure.

Now that you are at a different base....the order placed in Kingston will NOT make it to you. Contact your supporting ASU via telephone and ask them to pull up your electronic clothing docs to verify that you do not have a jacket on charge. Then (and use these words) "Can you please MSO140 an IECS jacket in my size against my Service number and let my Unit know when it's in?" Let me know how you make out.

Sig_Des said:
This bored looking Pte looks at me, and right off the bat says, I probably don't have one in your size, so I tell her that's fine, I'll take the next size up, or the next size down. If not, I'll take a sewing kit, and fix it myself...I even told her I'd take one of the Vietnam style jackets.
Like many of us are at Clothing Stores because it seems you all say the same thing...next size up....next size down...when as per the year old Message....the sizes simply aren't out there, there are critical shortages of 11 of 13 sizes. How many times do we have to explain it? I explain it at least ten times a day here in Gagetown, because people simply don't bother to read Routine Orders (which is mandatory to do by the way) or messages anymore where all this information is widely available to every customer. What? Not on the DIN? Can't access it? I also asnswer this question every day both for customers and their Supervisors who phone me to complain. This is a Unit problem vice a Supply problem. Someone hasd a computer in your Chain of Command and what is the problem with the Supervisor PRINTING off a copy of the Routine Orders and messages and informing their troops? If the leadership in certain Units wiould actually go about doing their job and printing this stuff for their personnel...1)
there personnel would be complying with the Regulations that make it mandatory to read Routine Orders; and
2) Their pers and themselves - in many many instances - would be aware of the kit shortages, saving their pers many trips into clothing stores and wasted time all around.

Sig_Des said:
She takes my coat, tosses it in a bin, and goes to look for some...no dice...doesn't have the next size up, or the next size down..not allowed to sow it yourself, and can't do anything for me. OK, give me back my jacket. No, you can't have it. she just wouldn't give it back, even after I told her I was going in the field in a week.
She should have given your coat back along with the warning NOT to fix it yourself, as per CANFORGEN that prohibits members from effecting repairs to gortex items, I agree with you on this. And I hope that you immediately asked for the Clothing Stores Supervisor. If not you should have.
Sig_Des said:
Ottawa Clothing stores....Much better, never any problems
Yeah....seeing as how NDHQ always seems to actually have stock while the bases where the field kit get used are the ones who are critically short....ever ask yourself why that is? I can figure it out. It's not because it's a better clothing stores...just a hint.

Vern,

don't get me wrong, I understand the shortage of IECS in certain sizes, and understand that there are different priorities, and I am aware that pers at clothing stores have to deal with us dumb grunts asking the same questions over and over again. I'm not questioning the motives of the Sup Techs.

My issue is when no other options are offered to the soldiers who are in need of kit. The simple fact that we are willing to sign for a piece of kit that is either too big or too small, or are willing to try to fix it ourselves, or take an inferior piece of kit, should be a sign.

I don't like being talked down to by someone who is taking away my kit, and not offering me any other options, which is what occured to me in Kingston.

Yeah....seeing as how NDHQ always seems to actually have stock while the bases where the field kit get used are the ones who are critically short....ever ask yourself why that is? I can figure it out. It's not because it's a better clothing stores...just a hint.

lol, you should see the ammount of brass that's always in line there. I know, it's pretty bad. But in the meantime, while I'm here, I'll make the best of it

also, a hint...Bringing in a box of timbits can be of great help to easing the friendliness of your local clothing stores

Sig_Des said:
I'm not questioning the motives of the Sup Techs.
I realize this and I agree with you. And I hope you asked for the supervisor.

Sig_Des said:
My issue is when no other options are offered to the soldiers who are in need of kit. The simple fact that we are willing to sign for a piece of kit that is either too big or too small, or are willing to try to fix it ourselves, or take an inferior piece of kit, should be a sign.
But there are no bigger/smaller sizes either and the Canforgen says you can't repair gortex unless qualified to do so. As I said she should have let you retain your damaged one or re-issued you the OD combat jacket as the message states. I agreed with you here...you should have asked for the supervisor.
Sig_Des said:
I don't like being talked down to by someone who is taking away my kit, and not offering me any other options, which is what occured to me in Kingston.
As above.
Sig_Des said:
lol, you should see the ammount of brass that's always in line there. I know, it's pretty bad.
Hmmm...no further hints required I see.

armyvern said:
no further hints required I see.

;) They do love their gucci Kit.

In my own case, that situation was resolved, and other than that, I've never had another problem at Clothing Stores.

FYI to any newbs: Always be nice to those that feed you, those that clothe you, and those that pay you...your career will be a much happier one!

All i have to say is that i worked clothing stores and would do everything in my power to give out the gear to the personel. I hate supply techs that are lazy and think they own the kit. I have gone so far as to give out my kit because i can always see when more comes in and issue myself one then.

painswessex said:
All i have to say is that i worked clothing stores and would do everything in my power to give out the gear to the personel. I hate supply techs that are lazy and think they own the kit. I have gone so far as to give out my kit because i can always see when more comes in and issue myself one then.
The problem is some lazy Sup Techs which members should immediately address with the supervisor.

As for hoarding kit they own?? If they're entitled they get it. If not, address that through their chain and get their trade's scale of entitlement changed. If a guy wasn't entitled, you wouldn't be issuing it either, or you'd be committing a service offense. Many Sup Techs who work at clothing give kit to pers who need it more. This is not an unusual situation, it happens alot.

Back