• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Westboro Church Protest Mega-thread

Michael O'Leary said:
Would you support that the description of the funeral in the article meets that definition?  Do the feelings of the grieving family have any merit to be considered?

And would you, personally, support such behaviour disrupting (by undue jeers and chants) your own mother's funeral? And defend their right to do so against your own relatives' protests that it is disrespectful?

Of course, it's easy to say you would when it's just typing on the internet.

I think that the right to peacefully protest is to be held above all else.  It is when the government starts to ban assembly and free speech that the road to a police state starts.

And, since you insist on drawing my mother into this thread, yes, I would defend this right at her funeral.  In regards to my relatives, let's just say that I am thankful they, unlike you, believe that freedom is more important than the coddling of one's feelings.  :mad:

So, since you chose to avoid answering to the point, I can assume that you agree that the described events do not meet your defintion of "peaceful"?

Forgive me if I feel that your opinion would most likely change if you had a personal emotional involvement.

Trivia time folks,...who said this on January 20th 2006?

A caveat that I HOPE would be added to such a compromise law would be a restriction upon any direct contact between media members and the mourners; privacy should be protected at occasions such as a funeral.

Michael O'Leary said:
So, since you chose to avoid answering to the point, I can assume that you agree that the described events do not meet your defintion of "peaceful"?

I made my position to your queries quite clear in my last posts.

Since you seem to have trouble wrapping your mind around what I have said, I will make it very clear:

The right of people people to peacefully protest should not be restricted in any way, shape or form.  This is one of those occurrences.

Thankfully, people who allow feelings to overwhelm rational thought-like you-are usually not responsible for law making in our society.  At the very least, they are restrained by the democratic process.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/38792/post-324005.html#msg324005

Umm Alex was it mo-litia and if so seems to flip flop more then the liberals and conservatives combined.

Correct,  are you going for "flipp-flopps" for $200? ;D

mo-litia said:
I made my position to your queries quite clear in my last posts.

Since you seem to have trouble wrapping your mind around what I have said, I will make it very clear:

The right of people people to peacefully protest should not be restricted in any way, shape or form.  This is one of those occurrences.

Thankfully, people who allow feelings to overwhelm rational thought-like you-are usually not responsible for law making in our society.  At the very least, they are restrained by the democratic process.

You are still refusing to answer how the described protests meet the definition of peaceful that YOU provided.

We are not talking about these groups gathering and chanting on the lawn at city hall on a Saturday afternoon, we are talking about this specific case when a funeral service was in session, where common coutesy might suggest allowing the family to grieve in peace.

CFL said:
maybe he'll take his ball and go home for the night.

Maybe he'll take his arguement back to it's own thread and quit cluttering two with his thoughts.

That is NOT a suggestion. Put this back on track or the lock happens.

mo-litia said:
Yes they have-but not at the expense of other's rights to protest peacefully.

That's it for me, unless someone else has some new light that they wish to shed on this matter.

How is having a quiet, dignified ceremony without a bunch of people yelling slogans and that you're loved one died because God wanted to punish the country and hates homosexuals, at the expense of others rights?

You want to protest peacefully at my funeral? Fine, stay away, sit down somewhere, and keep you mouths shut. If I was at a funeral of a loved one, and these wack-o's showed up, I'd be hard-pressed to be "peaceful"

To try and bring this back on topic.......lets go back to Zoomie's post about the CF not practising free speech, well neither do the US militaries either.
So Mo-litia please tell us were you have this concept of absolute free speech?
...and also, during your tour, how many orders did you respond with " well thats really stupid" or did you say "yes sir" anyway?

So what would that constitute?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Trivia time folks,...who said this on January 20th 2006?

A caveat that I HOPE would be added to such a compromise law would be a restriction upon any direct contact between media members and the mourners; privacy should be protected at occasions such as a funeral.

Yes, and he has the gall to complain when I opine publicly that trying to discuss anything with him is like beating one's head against a wall.

recceguy said:
Maybe he'll take his arguement back to it's own thread and quit cluttering two with his thoughts.

That is NOT a suggestion. Put this back on track or the lock happens.

Hey, you with the mil stick: I already attempted to leave this thread.  ;)

mo-litia said:
That's it for me, unless someone else has some new light that they wish to shed on this matter.

Others kept commenting, so I kept posting.  Kinda what a forum is about, eh?

In regards to what I posted earlier on this matter in a different thread-here it is in it's entirety:

mo-litia said:
It seems to me that the most likely result of this law-if passed-will be that the protesters will appeal-successfully  :-\-that THEIR rights are being violated by having their right of protest taken away.

A compromise will likely occur in the courts, allowing people to protest a certain distance from the funeral, with some restrictions given on the amount of noise they are allowed to generate, etc, so that they can not interfere with the funeral or intrude upon the grief of the mourners.  A caveat that I HOPE would be added to such a compromise law would be a restriction upon any direct contact between media members and the mourners; privacy should be protected at occasions such as a funeral.

I don't agree with inbred, anti-military hillbillies protesting at a soldier's funeral but we have to keep in mind that troops should not be dying for freedom when freedoms are being taken away in their own country.

I admit that my choice of words could be taken as unfortunate, given what has transpired in this thread today, but I stand by what I have said.  I didn't say that I supported such a law, only that one would likely be passed.

With respect to privacy at a funeral, I will go back to my earlier comment today that a peaceful protest should not physically harm, block, or intimidate those attending.  This isn't a flip-flop from from any earlier position, rather it is a continuation of it.

The almighty DS has decreed that this topic is off track, so I will comment no more on this matter.  Feel free to snipe away at me for not responding further.  :boring:

Back to the topic I am sure we can ALL agree on: kudos to those bikers for protesting the wing-nuts and supporting the military (and families) by being at those funerals. :salute:

I have no need to snipe.

You failed to prove that the situation under discussion met your own stated conditions supporting "peaceful" protest under the label of "unrestrcted free speech".

..and since we are swerving anyway this quote makes me wonder what kind of " Redneck Albertan" you really are,

Quote from Mo-litia,
Freedom of speech SHOULD be absolute-and I think these bikers are taking the correct response to an issue that irks them.  They, unlike you, recognize that the anti-war protesters have a right to protest WHEREVER they want.  They also know that they, the bikers, are well within their rights to make a powerful show of support for the military by attending these funerals

Hmmm, a " Redneck Albertan" who doesn't believe in "property rights"?.....doesn't sound like the Albertans I know.

Feel free to protest on my land.  I've got loads of rock salt... >:D... for my water softener, of course.

CFL said:
Is it legal to put bounding Bettys in/on your own property?

only in Texas

um.. thread totally destroyed

Mo-litia  - proved wrong in public opinion

Pile on over????

Lock?

Back