• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What can I do to make my resume look good for a recruiter?

Marshall12345

Inactive
Reaction score
I looked through the forum and couldn't find anything on the subject so I thought I would post. I am still in high school for another year then I plan on joining the regular army. I have tried for the reserves but they are full at the moment. What i'm wondering is if there is anything I can do to make my resume a little nicer for the recruiter?

Also, how long is the recruiting process? From the day I walk into the office to sign up to the day I start BMQ? (Kind of a broad question, but how long was your wait?)

Thanks.

If you are in high school you may have access to a guidance councilor who may be able to help you out with how to write and dress up a resume. As for things that look good.

Your wait may be longer depending on a lot of factors. Mine was about a year, but I had medical forms needing to be sent to Ottawa. If you were able to fly through the process it will take less time.

Marshall12345 said:
I looked through the forum and couldn't find anything on the subject so I thought I would post. I am still in high school for another year then I plan on joining the regular army. I have tried for the reserves but they are full at the moment. What i'm wondering is if there is anything I can do to make my resume a little nicer for the recruiter?

Also, how long is the recruiting process? From the day I walk into the office to sign up to the day I start BMQ? (Kind of a broad question, but how long was your wait?)

Thanks.
Make your resume look nice? Volunteer work, job experience, courses or training outside of school, go get your cpr/first aid/WHIMIS, anything that shows you're making an effort to upgrade yourself.

Not to come off as a dick, but did you not notice this entire section? More importantly the sticky'd threads at the top?

If the army taught me anything, it was "you won't get much help if you don't help yourself."  The answers are there, look for them.  Don't expect people to hand them to you.

Edit: Spelling error.

Marshall12345 said:
What i'm wondering is if there is anything I can do to make my resume a little nicer for the recruiter?

The first thing, and the one so many seem to have a hard time understanding - grades. Better grades make you more competitive against an equal candidate who didn't work at it.
Extra-curricular activities - sports and clubs, especially in leadership roles. Show initiative, take charge, prove you can organize and lead.
Volunteer. Demonstrate an awareness of a larger world than just school and video games (or whatever your chosen distractions might be).
Fitness. Make sure the fitness test isn't a problem.
Study - not just your courses, read everything here about the CFAT and make sure you're covering the applicable subject areas whether or not your courses do. Avoiding English or math? - too bad, start brushing up on them because we test them.

Lastly, be smart. Look in the forums for all the ways people ****ed up their chances - drugs, DUIs, criminal activities, avoidable injuries that made them unsuitable - and make sure you don't do those things.

Silverfire said:
Not to come off as a dick, but did you not notice this entire section? More importantly the sticky'd threads at the top?

If the army taught me anything, it was "you won't get much help if you don't help yourself."  The answers are there, look for them.  Don't expect people to hand them to you.

Edit: Spelling error.

No problem. Sorry everyone, Im new to the forum, havn't figured out my ways around yet. I like that saying, ill try to live by it  :)

There is a ton of information on the site for sure and if you take the time and read, it will go along way.  Yes I agree to take some time and search first but don't be afraid to post just be mindful of what you are posting and do your research first.

Google is your friend a resume to the CF is just like any other job.  You will be marked more on CFAT score, interview score etc.  That being said, Start reading knowledge is power especially during the recruiting process

Back