• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what career options are available after you complete an Arts degree

M

Mich

Pardon my ignorance for asking this... But I've only recently taken interest in joining the Canadian Forces.

I'd just like to know what career options are available after you complete the Arts program at RMC.  What I mean is, if I wanted to be an Officer in the army element, what type of officer can I be with that degree? I.e. artillery officer, infantry officer... etc.

Thanks in advance.

Mich, as an arts student, you can become almost any type of army officer. I am a history major with Artillery as my military occupation. If you have any questions, PM me.

If you go to a recruiting office they can give u a cute little cd with all or most of the officer occupations and what degrees are compatible and witch are better for a specific occupation.

With an arts degree in the army element, I think you're limited to the combat arms; armoured, artillery and infantry officer.
In the air force, there is pilot, air navigator and aerospace controller and in the navy MARS.
All the other occupations require engineering, computer science, medical, law, etc degrees.

You also go Logistics.. and Health Care Admin..  and Personel Services..

You can also go Military Police Officer and Intelligence Officer.

As far as i know you can be any kind of officer except an engineer :warstory: sorry if i'm wrong.

Chags said:
You also go Logistics.. and Health Care Admin..   and Personel Services..
What kind of things does a Health Care Administrator do? Also, which area does the job training involve?

PhilipJFry said:
With an arts degree in the army element, I think you're limited to the combat arms; armoured, artillery and infantry officer.
In the air force, there is pilot, air navigator and aerospace controller and in the navy MARS.
All the other occupations require engineering, computer science, medical, law, etc degrees.
Apparantly you have no clue what you are talking about............and in such a case, you should not be giving advice to some young person looking to join the CF.

used to be egs,

I'm myself a "young person looking to join the CF" and to become an officer so I did a bit of research into the different entry plans
and required degrees for the different trades. What I posted is the different MOC that I'm sure you can join with an arts degree.
Your comment helps no future candidate here and it's always easier to criticize than it is to provide an intelligent answer...

Mich,

Some officer occupations require specific degrees (ie engineering, nursing, etc) while others have preferred and acceptable degrees (ie Logistics, Military Police etc).

Your best bet is to call or visit your nearest CFRC and sit down with a recruiter or career counselor.

It would be safe to say that with an Arts degree you might consider:

Armoured
Artillery
Infantry
Pilot
Air Navigator
Aerospace Control
Maritime Surface and Sub Surface   to name a few.

Logistics and Health Care Administration occupations would probably prefer someone with a business background. That's not to say that you wouldn't be selected, but my guess is that you would be less competitive than someone with a Business Degree (all else being equal).

Military Police is another one where you would be competing against people with degrees in Criminology, Psychology etc. Its not to say that you don't meet the requirement, but rather that you may not possess the ideal degree.

At the end of the day, reserach some options and go talk to the folks who are there to help you make a well informed decision. It won't cost you anything.

Best of luck to you.

What kind of things does a Health Care Administrator do? Also, which area does the job training involve?

Health Care Administrator  (HCA)

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=48

My Brother is a health care administrator in Pet, he has a degree in philosophy and history, with a post grad  B Ed. He did have to apply for the position and compete, but you can get it with an arts degree.  :salute:

Island Ryhno said:
My Brother is a health care administrator in Pet, he has a degree in philosophy and history, with a post grad   B Ed. He did have to apply for the position and compete, but you can get it with an arts degree.   :salute:

Absolutely. Each occupation has preferred degrees, acceptable degrees and unacceptable ones. AT the end of the day, there is only one way to find out if one will be hired...and that is to apply. :)

If you are going to be working at it for 4yrs make sure you pick a degree you will be interested in.  It is hard to stay motivated if you don't.  That being said, go to the recruiting centre, or look online, and see what job options are open to you if you choose that degree path; hopefully, you will find two that match up and it will make life that much more interesting, if not, try and decide which is more important to you. IMHO. 

Back