• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Constitutes a Reasonable Question, split from Re: CFAT Practice and FAQs

squeezboks

Inactive
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, if it is allowed, what constitutes a reasonable to question to pose on these forums?

squeezboks said:
Out of curiousity, if it is allowed, what constitutes a reasonable to question to pose on these forums?

One that hasn't been asked.  ;)

squeezboks said:
It seems to me that the only people wound up are those with post-counts over 1000.

I am not particularly concerned or frenzied, it was a simple question (more out of curiousity than concern) and could have been answered simply but apparently thats too hard to do around here.

Enjoy the weekend.  ::)

You wouldn't believe how many times the same goddamn questions come up (and disappear just as quickly). If the posters took the initiative and searched the site first rather than post the first damn words out of their heads we wouldn't come off as a bunch of angry old members.

PMedMoe said:
One that hasn't been asked.  ;)

Touche.  :)

NFLD Sapper said:
You wouldn't believe how many times the same goddamn questions come up (and disappear just as quickly). If the posters took the initiative and searched the site first rather than post the first damn words out of their heads we wouldn't come off as a bunch of angry old members.

The point is moot at this juncture but for the record, I did search the forums, read through the bulk of the threads and didn't find anything specific to the information I was looking for.  If someone could direct me to the posts which address whether knowledge of power or exponential functions are required for the CFAT, I will gladly concede that my search was not nearly exhaustive enough and take sole responsibility for the lack of quality in recent posts.

Just reading through this thread, I can understand how people who have been around here for a long time get frustrated by the same old...

"What do I ned to no?" questions.

I thought my question was specific enough to avoid that pitfall.  Apparently not.

*edit

Also, for the record I did write this a few posts ago:

squeezboks said:
Granted.

I am under the impression that Bioscience is a competitive trade so anything to get me an edge is what I am looking for, CFAT being one of them.  Thanks for the info, I won't worry about the math, should be straight forward then.

I probably should have let things lie at that.

NFLD Sapper said:
How about using the spell check feature?

That was sarcasm.  I was trying to illustrate the general quality of frustrating questions you guys seem to be asked... sigh.

*edit

Heck, in retrospect "What do I ned to no?" is a step up it seems, at least I capitalized the "I"!

squeezboks said:

There are many valid questions.  There are also many, especially to do with the recruiting process, that have been explored in excruciating detail.  When members have taken the time to type out answers in the past, often repeating themselves in response to various new members, it does get tiresome to see the same issued covered again and again.  It's one thing to be open and helpful, it's quite another to be expected to do it over and over again because the previous efforts are ignored, or someone thinks that if they ask again in a new way that fresh secrets will be revealed unto them.  Some information (like the CFAT) doesn't get provided detailed data for two reasons: 1. those who did it long ago don't remember the details, and 2. those who have done it recently clearly remember the warning not to talk about the contents of the CFAT with others.  (Remember the first rule of Fight Club?)

So, how to ask good questions.

First, exhaust completely the available info. 

Second, accept that if there really seems to be gaps that are otherwise unexplainable, that it may be information that can't or won't be shared on open means.

Third, engage other members' interests, and don't expect regurgitation of things that may have been posted before.  Simply, if it's not worth your time to find it, its not worth anyone else's time to retype it or find it for you.

Fourth, anger, arrogance or the appearance of unwillingness to help oneself only invites behaviour that, although we try to minimize it, seems to become inevitable.

Lastly, you might ask why those "bitter old guys" even open those recruiting question threads.  Simple, they're looking for the new and interesting questions that do engage them and let them share their knowledge.

This is an all too common problem for any message board that caters to a niche group.

For instance, I was a member for the longest time, of a board solely for military brides.  We would get questions daily like - what colour bridesmaid dress goes with Dress Blues? or Will my ivory dress clash with his whites?  It is  MIND. NUMBINGLY. PAINFUL. to have to answer the same questions over and over again.  And we didn't HAVE stickies and a working search function.  (it's actually how my blog originally came about the girls had the link and anytime someone asked a question I had covered they'd point them to the appropriate post.)

Here are army.ca there are countless stickies, FAQ's, etc PLUS a working search function.  There's no reason other than sheer laziness to not use those to their full extent.  FYI - if you even type what you are looking for into Google - the appropriate army.ca thread will show up.  How's that for nifty?

Just to add on...

It should be okay to break the "no already asked question" rules when it comes to policies, incentives, etc... that are years old, and may have changed. That usually is asked in the form of "Have there been any updates to xxx, or is xxx still in effect?".

HeadLamp said:
Just to add on...

It should be okay to break the "no already asked question" rules when it comes to policies, incentives, etc... that are years old, and may have changed. That usually is asked in the form of "Have there been any updates to xxx, or is xxx still in effect?".

Sure, and the approach should be like this: "I have found reference to the following regulation, dated dd-Mmm-yyyy, at [ url = this thread ], is anyone aware of any updates since then."

That shows that a search for available info has been done, and provides those who need to review the info to realize if its out of date a source.

It is seldom what is being ask as much as it is how it's being asked.

Back