• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What happens between courses? (and Christmas vacation)

natharr

Inactive
Reaction score
I realize this question has been asked before and the general answer is, "Your mileage may vary." (http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/98239/post-1003851.html#msg1003851 and http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/730/post-6801.html#msg6801 for example)

So, specifically, my husband is at BMOQ right now (course finishing Nov 29). Next up is NETPO and who knows when that will be, but is it safe to assume it won't start in the middle of December? Which would mean he will be in PAT* for at least the month of December and probably more.

I know that sometimes between courses, you are just waiting in Halifax and they find something for you to do (and sometimes nothing to do). Does it matter that we're married? If he's not doing much anyway, then is it possible he could be sent home to BC to work here and wait for the next course?

Second (well, 4th) question, while waiting for your next course, can you assume you'll get time off around Christmas? Even if you just joined in August, are you allowed to take vacation days (say to fly home to visit family)?

I know no one can give me a concrete answer, but I would really appreciate any educated guesses. Both of our families live provinces away and it would be nice to at least give them some idea of what to expect this Christmas.

*I'm new to this, so not sure if I'm saying it right. "On PAT", "In PAT", "In the PAT Pl" or are you just "PAT"?? :)

I'll look up the next NETPO dates tomorrow.

I'm curious, is your husband MARS or an engineer?

If your husband is MARS he will be in Esquimalt at VENTURE for NETPO, MARS III and MARS IV.

The current MARS training scheme is being completely revamped. From what I know NETPO, now MARS II, (word of mouth here) will be running early in the New Year. This first serial will be the trial of the new curriculum for MARS II, III, and IV. Exciting times!

I'll see if I can find any info today at work about course dates.

If he's an engineer then he can expect to be on PAT in Halifax until NETPO starts, probably in the new year some time. He should be able to use some leave to fly home for Christmas, but then he will probably be back in Halifax waiting for NETPO. Back to Esquimalt, and then back to Halifax for the next year or two. Engineers do a lot of travelling. If he is MSE he can also look forward to 4 months in the UK as well.

Best of luck.

Thanks MSEng.

When he's on PAT, will he definitely be in Halifax? Maybe I don't fully understand what you do on PAT, but it seems like a whole lot of nothing, where it wouldn't really matter where you were . . .?

(What I'm really getting at is if there's a possibility he could be on PAT in BC :) )

harriet said:
where it wouldn't really matter where you were . . .?

(What I'm really getting at is if there's a possibility he could be on PAT in BC :) )

Small doses of reality, bear with me,

a) Sometimes what is logical is not so. There are people who's job it is to look after people on PAT. Another location may not have the time an resources to look after and employ someone not qualified to do anything. I have had several of those under my charge over the years and it is nothing but a PITA. Given the choice, i would rather they go elsewhere, to someone who can concentrate on taking care of them.

b) What you would like or prefer is pretty inconsequential, more so in the early stages of one's career. I find it more useful to prepare for the "close enough" possibility (coming home as often as possible) rather than the "optimum" possibility (doing PAT at a different location).

Good luck.

Thanks for your message, CDN Aviator.

a) This makes a lot of sense and I hadn't considered it from this angle. I've since heard that all MSE and CSE do their PAT in Halifax except in extraordinary circumstances.

b) Considering the above, I've let go of the idea of PAT in BC. Which is ok! It's just the not knowing that can be hard to deal with. I think going forward, the not-being-able-to-plan-your-life is what I'm going to struggle with the most :)

And for anyone searching the forums for Christmas vacation information, I also heard MSEs and CSEs who are at the school in Halifax (either on course on on PAT), will most likely be home for Christmas for the three weeks when the school is shut down (mid-December to early January).

There's a NETPO starting December 3rd for Engineering and Logistic Officers. Maybe he will be on it.

Oh wow, yeah I guess that's possible as well. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what the Christmas schedule is for people doing NETPO?

Back