• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What happens when you dump liquid nitrogen into a pool?

Only the biggest nerd in the planet would have kept the camera on the mist, instead of the naked tube opportunity. 

Would have been funnier if the dumbass carrying the liquid nitrogen would have tripped and spilled it on himself. Safety first kids!  ::)

But seriously, cool video none the less. Can you buy that stuff? I could pull some nasty pranks on my dormmates  ;D

Talk to some people taking a chemistry program, they sometimes have access to that stuff.

Unitec Industrial Gases
http://www.unitecgases.com/

In CONCORD, BARRIE, BELLEVILLE, MILTON, and SMITH FALLS

Use to advertise around Halloween for dry ice and other 'fun' stuff...

Also Praxair.com  and  Airliquide.com  but I'm not sure if they handle small quantities.

This site goes to the opposite end of the energy spectrum, using LOX to bring a charcoal BBQ to grilling temperature in @ 3 seconds. Cooking is best done quickly, since the grill and most of the BBQ is becoming a puddle of molten metal at this point........ :eek:

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

That was just plain cool...my geek side was too impressed  ;D
When we did artificial insemination and embryo transfers when I farmed we used to frig around with the liquid nitrogen all the time...we got it for free... ;D

HL

That was cool.
They should do more of those....
Such as, "What happens when you pour liquid nitrogen on your idiot boss"

LN is so fun to chase along the floor when you spill it doing wart treatments.  Sometimes it would cool the little cups so much that the aluminum Mayo stands would snapp them up into the air as they cooled and warmed up again.

LOX - very dangerous stuff.  We had to do a course on it during medevac training, since the internal O2 system on the Herc is LOX based.  One of our flight insturctors told us about a guy that blew his foot off in the US on a flightline because he stepped on a bubble of the stuff with a greasy boot.  Uncool.  We had a video of a dude brought into an ER with 100% body surface area burns because he lit a cigarrette after LOXing up something - some had spilled on his clothing, an ash hit it and lit him up like a Christmas tree.  Or you get the people on LOX home oxygen systems that have emphysema and or chronic bronchits that decide to light up a smoke - and themeselves with it.  I could go on. 

When in doubt, SAFETY FIRST with any of those chemicals.

MM

Praxiare does small quanties, its where I buy my one bottle of (acetylene/o2 or Argon) for welding. so they do one bottle at a time....but how to get it out in licquid form, I dont know

Even the people who did the LOX experiment were quite explicit about the potential for disaster involved. One charcoal briquette soaked in LOX and then ignited would combust almost instantly, releasing the energy equivalent of about1/4 stick of dynamite.

Dumping LOX on a prepared pile of charcoal (with an ignition source in place) results in a fireball of 52270 C or more (hard to judge the flame colour on a web page, but the intensity of the flare and pure white colour would seem to indicate that). A machine gun barrel is  glowing red at 6270C, the gas plug is straw yellow at 14770C and blacksmith hammer forging metal at yellow white heat are dealing with temperatures of 29270C, to give you some indicators of high temperatures you might  encounter.

Most of these things you see on the web are best filed under "Don't try this at home!"

Back