• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is considered a spouse in the CF?

wow guys thank you for caring enuff to answer my post! i guess we re gonna have to tuff it out in pembroke or pet for a year until we are common law.she really wants to work in ottawa im sure things will work out in the end thank you again for all of your info!

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, his living in Quarters would in most likelihood negate that.

Not necessarily.  I know a couple who were able to declare common-law while she was on her QL3's, even though they were both maintaining their own apartments.

Para 5. of CFAO 19-41:
5.    The continuous period of at least one year referred to in subparagraph (2)(c) of  QR&O 1.075 may include periods of involuntary separation for such reasons as temporary duty, attached posting or unaccompanied posting (eg, a six-month UN tour). However, the couple must have resided together as husband and wife during the remainder of the one-year period.

Funny thing is, I looked at QR&O 1.075 and there IS no para (2)(c)..... ???

PMedMoe said:
Not necessarily.  I know a couple who were able to declare common-law while she was on her QL3's, even though they were both maintaining their own apartments.

Para 5. of CFAO 19-41:
5.     The continuous period of at least one year referred to in subparagraph (2)(c) of  QR&O 1.075 may include periods of involuntary separation for such reasons as temporary duty, attached posting or unaccompanied posting (eg, a six-month UN tour). However, the couple must have resided together as husband and wife during the remainder of the one-year period.

Funny thing is, I looked at QR&O 1.075 and there IS no para (2)(c)..... ???

"may include periods of involuntary separation for such reasons as temporary duty".  This does not apply, as it is not an involuntary separation, but a voluntary one.

"couple must have resided together as husband and wife during the remainder of the one-year period.".  This is the meat of the subject.  They must "LIVE TOGETHER" for a period of ONE YEAR.

Your example is of a Service couple who were separated involuntarily.  Totally different.  Same as I could not claim IR, as my wife moved to Ottawa for a job voluntarily.

OKay I know this thread is a little old but we are warned against starting new threads if you find something related to your question,  so here goes,  I am joining the forces, my boyfriend will be moving into my apartment to stay here with our son, (we don't live together now but he is my baby's daddy we just couldn't seem to find a living arrangement that suited us both so we live seperate)  Now I will be the sole provider for the family, as in he'll be staying home with the baby full time to do the upbringing and I'll be the one making all the money.  Now I know my son is my dependant and such but what about him? I don't think we qualify as common law but I will still be supporting him,  Any ideas on what the administration would say as far as our living arrangement?  (oh and he will be comming with me once I get posted providing the army will have me since he's going to be my house wife heheheh)  And we don't see ourselves gettign married within the next few years cause we have to save up for a wedding and plan it here in town otherwise my parents and his will have a fit, but we are engaged.

Dolphado said:
OKay I know this thread is a little old but we are warned against starting new threads if you find something related to your question,  so here goes,  I am joining the forces, my boyfriend will be moving into my apartment to stay here with our son, (we don't live together now but he is my baby's daddy we just couldn't seem to find a living arrangement that suited us both so we live seperate)  Now I will be the sole provider for the family, as in he'll be staying home with the baby full time to do the upbringing and I'll be the one making all the money.  Now I know my son is my dependant and such but what about him? I don't think we qualify as common law but I will still be supporting him,  Any ideas on what the administration would say as far as our living arrangement?  (oh and he will be comming with me once I get posted providing the army will have me since he's going to be my house wife heheheh)  And we don't see ourselves gettign married within the next few years cause we have to save up for a wedding and plan it here in town otherwise my parents and his will have a fit, but we are engaged.

If he's listed on the birth certificate (or by stat dec) as the dad ... and you have a child together, you are common law immediately upon shacking up.

Probably not the best way to word it, but ...  :)

You simply say:

Here's my son's birth certificate, and we all reside together.

Thanks so much Vern (I have to say I love getting your responses, very straight forward, to the point and no fooling around)  and don't worry about the "shacking up" lol thats what my mom calls it heheh

Back