• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is everyone doing in their spare time while waiting for the call?

AlphaBravo said:
Haha I have to drag myself off it, hopefully I get scheduled for my Medical and interview soon.... I am dying here.

More time to PT! Come over to the Shore, and we can do some ruck marches.

Metsuke said:
Well, I also do game a little bit, always good to switch off from the real world for a bit.. Sarah, I also had let that slip in a job interview.. They really don't wanna hire you if you want to join the Forces eh?
Apparently not. I wasn't planning on mentioning it, but she (the interviewer) started going on about how she wanted me to be assistant manager and eventually manager. I panicked because I don't want that sort of responsibility, especially if I don't know how long I'd be working for them. I've done the management thing before and I didn't like it. All I want is part-time work to keep me busy and give me some income in the meantime. As well with being only part-time I wont feel so guilty for saying I have to quit because I got accepted into the CF.

I can't really blame her for turning me down. She obviously wanted someone who was looking to make a career out of working for the company. I just felt a little hurt I guess. Oh well I just got hired the other day for a part-time job working 5am-9am. I'm looking at it as good practice for BMQ. Those 5am wake-up calls wont be so brutal when I get  St Jean!

Sarah_H said:
Well I joined a gym to help get back into shape. Sadly I let myself go over the last year. I Was doing so well but life like to throw you for loops. So I'm hoping to get my cardio back to where I use to be a year ago. Same for my upper body strength. I've also been looking for some part-time work for the time being. I'm getting tired of lying in interviews about my future plans. I almost got a job but I let it slip that I was applying for the CF. Even though I told them I may not get in at all or I may not get accepted until a yr from now. Oh well, I'm trying to not feel to guilty about that. I got the dreaded question at my last interview "Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?" It was hard to bite my tongue and answer with "Oh hopefully still working here if I get the job!"

AlphaBravo said:
I actually got fired for saying I was in the application process, oh well not a big deal. Lately I started playing Elder Scrolls Online, and stepped my workout up a bit, I felt it was starting to get a little to easy... And just hoping I get contacted for my Medical and interview soon.

Lol.... as some of you have already read... I know that feeling quite well -_-.

Wonder how that game was, played the series a little bit but never got full into it. My roommate though.. jesus... balls deeps with Skyrim.

The trick to those interview questions is to say "Succssful, well off, doing good" lol

I started running and working out again, but I'm also going to school still, and mite be applying for a part time job soon. As long as you forget that you applied to the army your time will go by faster, just try not to think that you have applied.

waking up at 5-6:30 am every morning no matter what i did the night before, going for a run (2.5-3.5 kms) doing my pushups and situps (20 pushups, 30 situps) and eating a more balanced diet throughout the day.
and of course, re-watching basic up for the 100th time as well as any videos i can get my hands on from the CF and getting more involved with this amazing website. great place to gain knowledge and understanding of what life will be like soon.

0500: Wake up
0600: Go to work
1800: Come home, change, put stuff away
1830: 5 mins stretching, 5 mins warmup, 30 mins running (~5-7km), 10 mins ~40-50 situps/~25-30 pushups/~1min 20 seconds for each kind of plank (I still suck at these and man they hurt, tips welcome)
1930: Feed/play with/bath the kids
2100: Put the kids to sleep, but end up passing out from exhaustion despite having things to do.
Repeat

I started at about 300meters and being winded, 4 pushups max and 30 situps so I have come a long way. I will continue to try an improve. I really wish I had a fitness buff friend for extra guidance though.

I browse these forums while on the long train to work in Nagoya or when I have no classes to teach.

GraemeCaughill said:
waking up at 5-6:30 am every morning no matter what i did the night before, going for a run (2.5-3.5 kms) doing my pushups and situps (20 pushups, 30 situps) and eating a more balanced diet throughout the day.
and of course, re-watching basic up for the 100th time as well as any videos i can get my hands on from the CF and getting more involved with this amazing website. great place to gain knowledge and understanding of what life will be like soon.

Indeed that is about the minimum fitness standard, but I would at the very least double all that, especially for someone who wants to be Infantry. But I am just an applicant basing this on what I read on these forums.

Started the P90X workout after I put in my application last July.. figured it would be a good idea to get into shape.. Then Christmas hit, and I slacked off a bit.. then I got back into it again.. Now doing the P90X 3 workouts.. half the time, twice the intensity... from doing 33 pull ups / chin ups and 153 push ups in roughly an hour workout, to being up to 236 push ups, and 80 pull ups in a half hour work out.. loving it.. as well as working a total non consistant schedule at Tim Hortons where I could work a 10am to 6pm shift one day, then back in for 2am till 10 the next, then maybe a 1pm  - 9pm, then a 5 am -3pm.. lucky for me, just got my offer for ACISS a few weeks ago and will be off to BMQ Aug. 30 :) Long wait, well deserved.. patience is a virtue, advice to anyone applying, don't get frustrated when you don't hear back.. if you are worried, call them up and ask for an update on the status of your application. At least then you'll know it's still in the stack. :)

mrbill said:
Started the P90X workout after I put in my application last July.. figured it would be a good idea to get into shape.. Then Christmas hit, and I slacked off a bit.. then I got back into it again.. Now doing the P90X 3 workouts.. half the time, twice the intensity... from doing 33 pull ups / chin ups and 153 push ups in roughly an hour workout, to being up to 236 push ups, and 80 pull ups in a half hour work out.. loving it.. as well as working a total non consistant schedule at Tim Hortons where I could work a 10am to 6pm shift one day, then back in for 2am till 10 the next, then maybe a 1pm  - 9pm, then a 5 am -3pm.. lucky for me, just got my offer for ACISS a few weeks ago and will be off to BMQ Aug. 30 :) Long wait, well deserved.. patience is a virtue, advice to anyone applying, don't get frustrated when you don't hear back.. if you are worried, call them up and ask for an update on the status of your application. At least then you'll know it's still in the stack. :)

Congrats on your offer and I'm impressed by the amount of push-up you can do.. BTW we'll go to BMQ the same day just not in the same platoon tho .. I'll be in L0045-F  :cdn:

Four more week until the D-day. until then I try to run and train as much as I can between time being a father and a husband. It's not always easy to find time for myself with a one year old so I wake up a 0430 every morning for a run and while at work I do push-up and pull-ups in between task.

I hear ya on the time thing.. not easy at all. Father of 3 and husband as well.. 12 year old twins and a 10 year old.. Luckily, they are at that age now where they are getting to be quite independent and are all very supportive of my decision to join. It was a tough one, but it was time for a change. Physically, I'm pretty much ready for this.. although my cardio does need a bit of work.. I know I can do it, it's just going to hurt for a while lol... not as young as I use to be.. Not old by any means (33, will be turning 34 in Oct) , but I can't run like I used to either..

Sarah_H said:
Well I joined a gym to help get back into shape. Sadly I let myself go over the last year. I Was doing so well but life like to throw you for loops. So I'm hoping to get my cardio back to where I use to be a year ago. Same for my upper body strength. I've also been looking for some part-time work for the time being. I'm getting tired of lying in interviews about my future plans. I almost got a job but I let it slip that I was applying for the CF. Even though I told them I may not get in at all or I may not get accepted until a yr from now. Oh well, I'm trying to not feel to guilty about that. I got the dreaded question at my last interview "Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?" It was hard to bite my tongue and answer with "Oh hopefully still working here if I get the job!"

I hear you on the civilian interview bit. When I was interviewing for the job I have now, I was asked, "So what are your career goals?" I had to stifle a laugh and said something like, "To gain more experience and hopefully move up the ranks in the company." I kept the CF app to myself for a few months, and then when I really couldn't take it anymore, I told my boss. She was like, "Oh, that's amazing! I used to teach in military bases!" Needless to say, I was floored. She's been supportive ever since, and I thankfully didn't get fired...

Just spent the day interacting with vets and current CF members, and it was like a group counselling session... and I was the only person being counselled. It's nice to hear different advice from people in all stages of their careers and from all elements. Nice to network with a dedicated and fun bunch.

But yeah, other than keeping up with the fitness, boxing/MMA, networking with CF members, and saturating my brain with everything CF-related, my new goal during the wait is to gain as much experience as I can in the trades I've applied for. I pretty much poke my head around offices and ask if they need help with projects and such. Pretty sure I'm going to have a second follow-up interview next year, so having something to show for it would be good. Anything having to do with leadership development would probably be a good idea to do, too.

I'm trying to get a real civilian job (I'm a reserves applicant) at the same time, so I'm "busy" with that, although I'm probably not doing enough on that front.

On the side I've been on a several month long philosophy/theology binge in my spare time (sure beats paying out of my buttcrack to take it in a university class that churns out solipsists) , plus working out in order to avoid being utterly destroyed at BMQ. Since I'm on an involuntary vacation (yay!) I'm trying to arrange my time so that I do running in the morning, hopefully that will reduce some of the BMQ shock factor. Hopefully.

Marchog said:
I'm trying to get a real civilian job (I'm a reserves applicant) at the same time, so I'm "busy" with that, although I'm probably not doing enough on that front.

On the side I've been on a several month long philosophy/theology binge in my spare time (sure beats paying out of my buttcrack to take it in a university class that churns out solipsists) , plus working out in order to avoid being utterly destroyed at BMQ. Since I'm on an involuntary vacation (yay!) I'm trying to arrange my time so that I do running in the morning, hopefully that will reduce some of the BMQ shock factor. Hopefully.

Hey Marchog,

While I wait for the next fiscal year, I was looking into reserves to see what other options are out there. Been counselled to look at other options in the meantime given my trade is super small and hard to get into as a DEO.

Looking at 32 Brigade in Toronto for now and they told me there were several options for reserve officers. Did your recruiter tell you how healthy/in demand the NCM or Officer trades were?

I was told by my recruiter that there are some officer positions available and I believe they are actively looking for an artillery officer (I was offered the position, more or less, but I decided to go NCM).

Back