• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is the difference between brigades?

Alpha032

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been searching through the government website and it seems to say that there are formations, and these formations are broken up into brigades. My questions is what characterizes a formation? Is it a grouping of professions (like artillery, infantry, armour, etc.), or is it a grouping of specific professions (such as light infantry)? Can you guys also, possibly name them all (if the list is to long don't bother)?

"Formation" is a generic term that describes a military organization at a certain level; the next level down is a "unit" and the next level up is a "command". A brigade is a type of formation the army employs. Maritime Forces Pacific and the 1st Canadian Air Division are also both examples of formations in the navy and air force.

Theres a Light Infantry Battalion in each of the 3 Regular Force Infantry Regiments. An yes a Battalion is a "unit"

Also, theres no real difference between each of the 3 Reg Force Brigades aside from location. They each have Infantry, Armour, Artillery, Engineer, Sig, Medic, CSS units.

Tactical groupings of units.

A Brigade is basically two or more Infantry battalions and an Armoured Regiment, a headquarters, and various supporting units such as an MP platoon, service battalion (transport, maintenance, and supply), a Field Ambulance (Medical), and a headquarters and signal squadron. A Brigade Group has an Artillery Regiment and Combat Engineer Regiment and possibly other elements attached as well. A Division is two or more Brigades, with a headquarters and additional supporting units. A Corps is two or more Divisions, an Army two or more Corps, and an Army Group two or more Armies, all, again, with additional supporting elements.

The air equivalent is Squadron (Battalion), Wing (Brigade), Group (Division), Command (Corps), and Air Force.

Note that "Air Division" is a Canadian peculiarity not used by any other Commonwealth air force or the USAF. It is really a Group.

Light Infantry is your typical foot-borne Infantry, as opposed to Mechanized.

Loachman said:
The air equivalent is Squadron (Battalion), Wing (Brigade), Group (Division), Command (Corps), and Air Force.

Note that "Air Division" is a Canadian peculiarity not used by any other Commonwealth air force or the USAF. It is really a Group.
But 1 CAD is the formation, as opposed to each of the many Wings, n'est-pas? Or do I have that wrong?

Alpha032 said:
I believe Light Infantry is the way for me. So just post your experiences or any tips.

Just to let you know, there is no guarantee that you will get posted to a light infantry battalion.

Alpha032 said:
I know this, but I will do my best to get there.

You have no say, you go where you are needed an since theres 2 Mech battalions an 1 Light in a Regiment you have greater odds of going Mech.

Formations may have subordinate formations - so a Div may have Bdes (or, in our current construct, the LFAs have CMBGs and CBGs).

Somewhere, eventually, there have to be units below formations.

hamiltongs said:
But 1 CAD is the formation, as opposed to each of the many Wings, n'est-pas? Or do I have that wrong?

Your confusion is understandable.

1 CAD is a formation.

The Wings should be. A couple (1 Wing and 16 Wing) are proper Wings. The rest are Bases called Wings.

Many years ago, a certain Commander Air Command said "we must have Wings again".

Fine. The execution was screwed up, though. History was re-invented, and incorrectly.

The RCAF had Wings, where applicable.

It also had Stations.

The former were formations, ie two or more Squadrons with a common operational role, commanded by a Wing HQ. Frequently, the Wing Comd was double-hatted as the Station Commander.

The latter were what came to be called Bases.

There was a big difference.

Correctly, by tradition, convention, and doctrine, there should be a split between the two still. An example would be 8 Wing, consisting of all of the Transport Squadrons at Trenton, based at CFB Trenton. A Wing and a Base are NOT the same thing. A true Wing could deploy completely from its home Base to another. It would still remain a Wing, and both Bases would still be Bases.

Look at the RAF and USAF. They have Wings and Stations (RAF) and AFBs (USAF).

The Army recognizes this, and has never deviated from tradition, convention, and doctrine. It has Brigades Based at Bases (CFB Petawawa and BFC Valcartier), with Edmonton referred to as Edmonton Garrison rather than CFB Edmonton.

Whatever one calls a Base, it's land and infrastructure. It is not a formation, such as a Wing or Brigade.

While on this rant, the RCAF did not have an obsession with painting everything blue, either.

Back