• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is your favourite Military Saying

My favourite of the insults employed by instructors was always "you idle crow!" ... maybe that was a local one, as I don't recall hearing it in Gagetown but heard it a LOT around the Minto Armoury.

Since I began work as Supply Officer for my local cadet corps, I've become fond of the saying "There are three sizes in the army: too big, too small, and lucky."

"It's called a store room because this is where I store the kit you need. If I were required to issue it to you, it would be called an 'issue room'."

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Actually, it is an excuse. If we don't properly train people to do a job, we can't reasonably expect them to do that job.

We don't let just anyone drive a car. You take lessons, you take a test, you get a license. The purpose of the lessons and test is to be sure you know the law before you are allowed to drive.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

(pro tip, don't whip out a joint when the platoon warrant says that)

The full expression used to be "Hats and belts off! Smoke 'em if you got 'em!" in the days when we had hats and belts and could smoke in a lecture room.

:salute:

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Actually, it is an excuse. If we don't properly train people to do a job, we can't reasonably expect them to do that job.

We don't let just anyone drive a car. You take lessons, you take a test, you get a license. The purpose of the lessons and test is to be sure you know the law before you are allowed to drive.

"If my soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army."

Frederick the Great

Some old Army ones that may have fallen out of style in the last decade or two:

Idle Crow - Lazy bastard ie "Get moving you idle crows"
Cockjaws - Said to someone who won't shut their mouth ie "you can't keep your damn mouth shut can you, Cockjaws?"
Asseyes - Said to someone who won't won't stop eyballing you ie "What are you looking at, Asseyes?"

Other Favorites:
Soup Sandwich and Bag of hammers are classics that have already been mentioned but my favorite is "a sack (or bag) of smashed assholes"
Cow lips iced tea - a nice soft swear to use when mildly irritated
Shitting pancakes - what TCM621 does after 25 years getting fucked of service:salute:

Not really sayings, just a couple that stayed with me.

"On Time Performance".

And our old march, "Wait for the Wagon".

I overheard something similar yesterday and it brought back memories of when, as a young soldier, I first heard it. Some thought it made them sufficiently bilingual for military service.

Maudit Esti Calice Tabernak!

Half f*cked fox in a forest fire.

Shake your head FFS.
Cornwallis 1983 instructors and PERI's:

"Give me an answer or I will beat it out of you!"

"Swim or drown, I don't care"

Not favorites, but reflects the times.

Cornwallis 1983 instructors and PERI's:

"Give me an answer or I will beat it out of you!"

"Swim or drown, I don't care"

Not favorites, but reflects the times.
What course number were you? I was posted there in 1983.

What course number were you? I was posted there in 1983.
8309 I think. Course started on 14 March. My platoon MCpl was named MacNeil, Air Force. One PERI was Cpl Andy Mooney. Can't remember the Sgt's name. Damm, 38 years ago!

Back