• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What keeps or kept you in the CAF?

mariomike said:
"What keeps or kept you in the CAF?"

^ I would look at that question another way. ^

I was in the Reserves. It wasn't my career.

But, if the CAF is going to be your career, why not plan on staying in ( if possible ) for the whole ride?

Are people changing careers more now than they used to?

That's a good point. 

At the risk of taking this on a tangent, the Australian Defence Force's recruiting ads don't (or haven't lately) focus on making it a career.  By and large (each service does its own recruiting), they focus on "fun" things and carefully state that most trades "only need a x years contract". 

I think that this is a bad way to go, but that's just my  :2c:

Dimsum said:
At the risk of taking this on a tangent, the Australian Defence Force's recruiting ads don't (or haven't lately) focus on making it a career.  By and large (each service does its own recruiting), they focus on "fun" things and carefully state that most trades "only need a x years contract". 

I think it's an awful bad way to go. The Profession of Arms is more than just a job, it's a vocation.

Agreed, after doing this for the last 12 years, Im in it for the long haul. I dont think Id be able to make a career out of a civy job, the military lifestyle is in my blood now. That being said a change of scenary may be required but it will be within the CAF.

mariomike said:
I think it's an awful bad way to go. The Profession of Arms is more than just a job, it's a vocation.

I'll add that it is a way of life as well.

FortYorkRifleman said:
My goal is make it my career till retirement but I'm not sure how my body will be in ten years as I want to be in Infantry

Better you know early.... it'll be knackered!

I joined for the money, I stayed for the mud.

Dimsum said:
That's a good point. 

Although I agree that military service is more than just a job and is in fact, both a vocation and a way of life, I think the CF puts too much effort into trying to make it a career for everyone.  I think we would be a lot healthier as an organization if we encouraged more short time membership.  I think almost everybody can benefit from military service, but not everyone can or should make a career of it.

Having said that, as a career member, I stick around for:

1) six-weeks paid vacation
2) six-figure salary (and the pension that is to come);
3) I get to play hockey on company time; and
4) I only occasionally get shot at.

Pusser said:
I think we would be a lot healthier as an organization if we encouraged more short time membership.

Perhaps they are.

"How long do I have to serve?"
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tphp

That's the first question asked and answered under both the full and part time tabs.

Eye In The Sky said:
I joined July 1989 and am in my 3rd MOC/MOSID.

I joined a few months later, and am in #4 (although one was a COT due to a restructure of the occupation).

The beer!!  :cheers:

Actually it is as most said, the comraderie.  Most of us can travel from coast to coast and not have to pay for a hotel and will always find someone to have a beverage with.

dapaterson said:
I joined a few months later, and am in #4 (although one was a COT due to a restructure of the occupation).

4 is the record right now then  :nod:

Eye In The Sky said:
4 is the record right is now then  :nod:

Yes.  He is still the title holder.  I only had three, but have collected six Release Certificates.

Stay in long enough, you get to a point where you have too much to lose by getting out before you're pensionable.  Once that benchmark is reached the game changes.  Some stay because they really enjoy or feel fulfilled by what they do or who they work with.  This does become challenging at times as the system seems hell bent on stamping out any bits of the fun factor there might have been in former days.

For myself, I would be gone now if the oil industry had not gone pear shaped and threw a monkey wrench in my hopes and dreams.  So until I do find a better hole to go to, I'll stay and continue to earn my pay and pay my bills.

I will not talk about me. What drew me in, over 50 years ago, and what kept me in, for 35+ years, were (still are) too diverse and complex to sum up in a few sentences.

But, I saw this, posted by a partner (very senior bloke) in a giant, global management consulting firm:

6720f93c-4949-418e-988c-79f9c248e84d-medium.png

Civvies get the order wrong ... "mission" comes first, promotion and pay are last, but the other factors, being "trusted," "mentored," "valued" and "involved," and so on, are all part of what makes the CF a GREAT place for many people. But, and this is a BIG BUT, the CF is not the right place for everyone ... if you fit the CF and the CF suits you then that's great, but it's no shame to be ill-suited for naval or military service.

6720f93c-4949-418e-988c-79f9c248e84d-medium.png

Interesting.

Most ( almost all ) of the employees I hired on with stayed in for the whole ride. I believe it is similar in the police and fire services.

Maybe it was for the reasons above, or maybe because it was a steady job.

Back