• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What RESERVES trades are hiring? Bachelor degree in Computers

Thanks, everyone. So I have spoken to Air-Force and Army recruiter on the phone. And attended an info-session for Navy reserves.

Although I've strong interest in joining Air-Force or Navy, it seems like they are not hiring for positions where I can utilize my education and experience. Army, on the other hand, has an occupation called Signals Officer and it seems to be a good match for my educational background in Computer Science.

I'll be meeting with an Army recruiter in Toronto in about 2 weeks from now and update this thread with what I find out.

From my phone conversation though, I thought the cool things about Army are:
1. Basic Training can be done on weekend basis for 6 months
2. They have Signals Officer occupation which is a good match for someone with degree in Computers
3. Training requirements are not as intense as Navy or Air-Force and hence it's easier to hold on to my civilian job. I mean, it'd be easier to balance Sicilian job with army duties

I was (and still am) fascinated with Navy because I thought it'd be cool to learn Navy's Survival At the Sea training and also I thought Navy would be a lot more hi-tech (all those communication systems become harder when you are out at the sea and require more sophisticated technology). But at the moment, Navy doesn't seem to be hiring for an occupation that'd be a good fit for me.

Air-Force - well, who isn't fascinated with fighter jets and huge transport aircrafts? :)

The not-so-cool thing about Army is ( :(  )
-> no training at the sea  !! So fascinated by ships and planes. Haha

Most Air Reserve trades are for people who were ex-Regular Force.  For example, there are reserve ACSO positions (apparently) but you have had to be a Reg F ACSO to go through the courses, etc.

So realistically, you're looking at Army or Navy anyway.

Hello Everyone,

I was able to meet recruiter from Army earlier today and I wanted to update this thread with what I learned as it could be helpful to other perspective candidates.

Signals Officer - prefers candidates with Bachelors in Computer Science.

First phase is BMOQ - Basic Military Officer Qualification.
-> Training is alternating weekends, over 6 months in Toronto
-> you report for training Friday evening at 7pm and leave Sunday evening.

Second phase is called CAP - Common Army Phase and sometimes also known as BMOQ-Land
-> approximately 11 weeks, full-time in Meaford, Ontario
-> weekends are free

Third phase is occupation/trade training for Signals Officer.
-> This happens the following summer (year after, basically)
-> 16 weeks. But quite possibly divided into 2 modules of 8 weeks each.
-> Takes place in Kingston, Ontario
-> weekends are free

As reservist, time commitment is: 1 evening per week and 1 weekend per month. You can do more, if you like, but this is minimum commitment they ask for. If you are unable to attend some evening or weekend, you can let them know and usually they are okay with that.

Changing element (say, from Army to Navy) is strongly discouraged. So, be sure you want to do Army before applying. But it has happened before so it's not unheard of. Just discouraged.

Changing trades is also discouraged. For example, Signals Officer -> Infantry Officer.  But again, it has happened before. But you'd still be doing at-least 3 years in your trade.

In addition to this, Army has a lot of courses that are open. So, you do NOT need to change trade if all you want to do is learn something. For example, as Signals Officer, if you wanted to be Airborne qualified, you could take that course and learn that.

I didn't ask any questions related to pay/rank - I'll ask them next time I meet the recruiter and update this thread.

chrys said:
As reservist, time commitment is: 1 evening per week and 1 weekend per month. You can do more, if you like, but this is minimum commitment they ask for. If you are unable to attend some evening or weekend, you can let them know and usually they are okay with that.

The hard minimum requirement is one parade per month. Give notice wherever possible when you can not attend.

Changing trades is also discouraged. For example, Signals Officer -> Infantry Officer.  But again, it has happened before. But you'd still be doing at-least 3 years in your trade.

Three years in trade may be true for reg force; it is not true for the reserve. However, you would need to have support from at least the gaining unit to change trade. I've known class B's who've gone through four trades in nine years. One just got back from teaching a trade course.

In addition to this, Army has a lot of courses that are open. So, you do NOT need to change trade if all you want to do is learn something. For example, as Signals Officer, if you wanted to be Airborne qualified, you could take that course and learn that.

Possible? Sure. Practical is pure chance and flexibility. Good luck getting on a jump course, particularly without last minute flexibility with your primary employer.

Hello folks,

I have gotten different answers to a question from different recruiters. Wondering if anyone here knows the answer.

Question is - when applying for Primary Reserves, you could give upto 3 choices of occupation. Do all choices have to be from same element? Can I have choice 1: Signals Officer - Land, choice 2: Air Combat Systems Officer, choice 3: MARS Officer ?

Army recruiter said - all of them have to be from same element (Land/Army, in this case)

Navy info session said, when you fill application online, you'd be able to choose 3 choices from different elements

Air-Force recruiter (on phone) said - you do NOT fill application online without first getting a position number # from Air-Force recruiter. So, they do some preliminary interview and if they think you'd be a match, they give you a position # and then you go apply online or at a Recruitment Center.

So, I am a bit confused here. Anyone knows the answer?

No. That information is wrong. You can select an occupation in each element if you wish so long as they are all Officer or all NCM. You cannot apply to both the RegF and PRes at the same time.

The issue at hand is that you must visit the unit you wish to join and attend an info session to receive an "intent to recruit" type letter which the CFRC uses to ensure the unit wishes to recruit and take you on strength. Without this, your application will not move forward. Some units are lucky enough that they have an excellent Recruiting NCO and they'll be able to give you the information steps you needs.

Basically, for the reserves, you need to pick one unit, one trade; you don't get a choice once it comes to the actual application itself.

As has been stated already, you will need a letter / e-mail from a reserve unit before the CFRC will process your application.  You say you're in Toronto and interested in Signals so I would recommend you contact 32 Signals Regiment directly.

For what it's worth, I did the weekend BMOQ in Toronto and was commissioned as a Signal Officer.  My background (as well as another Signal Officer on the course) is similar to yours.  It did require many weekends away but did not disrupt civilian career.  It has been an extremely rewarding experience -- but be prepared to put in time and energy.

And start doing push-ups now  :)

Good luck,

Mike5 said:
As has been stated already, you will need a letter / e-mail from a reserve unit before the CFRC will process your application.  You say you're in Toronto and interested in Signals so I would recommend you contact 32 Signals Regiment directly.

For what it's worth, I did the weekend BMOQ in Toronto and was commissioned as a Signal Officer.  My background (as well as another Signal Officer on the course) is similar to yours.  It did require many weekends away but did not disrupt civilian career.  It has been an extremely rewarding experience -- but be prepared to put in time and energy.

And start doing push-ups now  :)

Good luck,

Hi - I actually submitted my application for Signals Officer at 32 Signals Regiment few days ago and handed over all my documents as well.

Recruiter (MCpl) told me to not worry about letter - he said, he'd write one or get one. He is authorized to recruit for this position already.

I am told that next step for me is  that I'd be meeting with CO for an interview sometime next week. And he'd also schedule fitness and CFAT in coming weeks.

Because I was born abroad, the background check is likely to take longer but he didn't give me any idea of how much longer. He advised me to concentrate on the interview, fitness and CFAT for now.

You mentioned you are also a Signals Officer at 32 Signals Regiment. Could you provide some tips for the interview? You could send me a private message, if you'd like.  I'd like to know what kind of technologies do you work with as SO at this regiment? What is work like? What is training like?

chrys

You have completed the first steps with visiting the Reserve unit.  The MCpl may send the letter directly to the CAFRC to start your processing.  All your processing will be done at the CAFRC, to include your CFAT, medical and PT tests.  The Reserve unit, once it has accepted you as a prospect, hands all processing over to the CAFRC who will then hand your successfully completed documentation back to the Reserve unit for your enrollment into the CAF Reserves.  It is only after your enrollment that the Reserve unit will have full control to manage your records and career.

George Wallace said:
chrys

You have completed the first steps with visiting the Reserve unit.  The MCpl may send the letter directly to the CAFRC to start your processing.  All your processing will be done at the CAFRC, to include your CFAT, medical and PT tests.  The Reserve unit, once it has accepted you as a prospect, hands all processing over to the CAFRC who will then hand your successfully completed documentation back to the Reserve unit for your enrollment into the CAF Reserves.  It is only after your enrollment that the Reserve unit will have full control to manage your records and career.

Correction - never visited the Reserves unit. I called the unit, spoke to MCpl on the phone, and then he told me he'd meet me at CAFRC office on Yonge St. So, I met him there 3 times (handed over all my documents, signed application) in my 3rd visit.

He told me next step is to interview with CO at 32 Signals. And he'd schedule it for next week.
He'd also schedule fitness, CFAT, medical tests in coming weeks.
Background check will take as long as it'll take - he didn't provide any estimate for that.

chrys said:
Correction - never visited the Reserves unit. I called the unit, spoke to MCpl on the phone, and then he told me he'd meet me at CAFRC office on Yonge St. So, I met him there 3 times (handed over all my documents, signed application) in my 3rd visit.

He told me next step is to interview with CO at 32 Signals. And he'd schedule it for next week.
He'd also schedule fitness, CFAT, medical tests in coming weeks.
Background check will take as long as it'll take - he didn't provide any estimate for that.

In this case, the Reserve Recruiter may have also been holding a full-time job as a Recruiter at the CAFRC and was able to facilitate you there.  It is not the norm in the majority of Reserve units.  It is a normal step for the Reserve unit to conduct an "Officer Selection Board" to accept new officers and new officer candidates into their unit.  The successful completion of that will set your application as an officer candidate into motion.

Back