• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to do....

What would be the most appropriate path?

• Total voters
Q

question

After many years, I think it is time for me to retire.  I feel like it is a burden showing up on training days/nights and on exercises.  I am exhausted and run down.  I love most of the unit like brothers and sisters and have had many a great time with them.  I want to do what is best with the least amount of disappointment.  I feel that this isn't fair to both my subordinates and my leadership as I am not putting 100% effort into everything anymore - whether or not they can tell, I don't know.  I believe there are others that could fill my position and do a better job and put forth more effort.

What course of action do you think I should take?

I don't want this to be a slap in the face - but I don't think I can avoid this whether I say something now or later.  I can certainly try to reduce the amount of surprise.  I want to be able to visit once in a while and still feel welcome from everyone.

If anyone has any advice or experience, please share and I will certainly consider it.

Thanks.  I am voting for informing them now and asking for a different position with less responsibility.

Been there, done that.  Talk to your CO soonest.  Honesty is best if you want to maintain good relations.  Tell him/her what you've just told us.  Most COs will try to see if you can be accommodated in a position that lets you take a break for a year or two, rather than lose a long-time member totally.  And you need not cut ties totally with the CF.  You can transfer to the Supp Res, like a lot do, and take a break that way.  If you ever want to come back, it will make things easier (as long as it's within the 5 year limit).

Way too personal of an issue for a complete stranger to provide any meaningful assistance - aside from the last option being not a good way regardless. As the MS on my basic said - "Pte. X you had better do some very &%*&$% fast soul searching and decide what the *&^*&^ it is you want or get the *&%*&^% off my parade square.

I don't feel it is too personal of an issue, but that is my opinion - everyone is entitled to their own.  I am just asking what people would do in this case.

As for the last option - I am surprised that someone voted for that and I wish they left an explanation as to why.

It really comes down to what you want. What does the CF mean to you; What does the people you are serving with mean to you; Do you feel like you can still meaningfully contribute; Has the military lost its appeal for you; Do you find it is a chore doing your work and would a different job reduce that; Are there other options open that are agreeable to you; Do you just want out but want to keep the friends and hang out. These questions can only be answered by you. Some tough questions. I guess I would try to resolve my difficulties with leaving myself as many options open as possible. Good luck.

I would think that any CO would appreciate being advised of your circumstances and would appreciate your honesty.  As for what other folks would think, you can't control that.  But, if they really believe that the unit represents a "Regimental family" then they will accept your decision and appreciate your candour.

The CF has been rode hard and put away wet for years now.  This includes the soldiers of the P Res.  While I will be among the first to chuck s*** at the P Res, I also fully recognize that the CF could not have successfully launched and completed the number of msn we have without the soldiers of the P Res.

To me, just sounds like a bit of burn out.  If you need a break, take it.  No one wants to lose an experienced soldier.  They are too few and too valuable.

Best of luck.

>I feel like it is a burden showing up on training days/nights and on exercises.  I am exhausted and run down...I feel that this isn't fair to both my subordinates and my leadership as I am not putting 100% effort into everything anymore - whether or not they can tell, I don't know.  I believe there are others that could fill my position and do a better job and put forth more effort.

Interesting.  I went through that about a year ago.  There were many aggravating factors, all of which added up to too much pointless time spent in aggravation for too little job satisfaction.  I can't "vote" advice to you; I will just add that I requested transfer to Sup List and that the more time passes, the less interested I am in returning to the endless administrivia.

My vote (and what I did myself) was to inform them with 60 days notice.  I let them arm twist me for another 30, but then trans to the SHR.

Even though it may be the P Res, it is still a job, and due notice is proper, respectful, and shouldn't put you out too much.  Besides, with notice, they will more likely be inclined to provide positive references in the future, and if you decide to go SHR, and then come back, you might find the future more compatable too.
  Just make sure that you anticipate any future staff changes, as when my Adj got posted out, his replacement was not quite up to speed on my file, and tried to 5F me! 

No matter what you may decide, good luck! 

Back