• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What would change if (when) we had a King

thorbahn

Inactive
Reaction score
So I guess eventually we'll have King Charles to replace Queen Elizabeth II, how might this effect the CF?

Would we have the KR&O's?

Have to change all those pictures hanging up in messes?  :)

The crown on everything would change from a Queen's Crown to a King's Crown.

Ah yes, they better start sewing new WO epaulette's  ;D

Actually, IIRC, it is not "King's Crown" and "Queens Crown" - I believe that there are a few Crowns in the Tower of London and that when Charles becomes King Charles III he has his choice of which Crown he will wear.  Can someone confirm this?

Infanteer, I was refering to the style of crown on top of the cap badges. I imagine we'd go back to the crown style that is found on top of WWII era badges.

And we would always do one extra push-up for the King, instead of the Queen.  ;D

Infanteer is correct, the current crown used on badges, etc., is not explicitly a "Queen's Crown." There would not be a requirement to change.

The crown colloquially known as the "King's crown" as found on badges of the Second World War is properly the "Tudor Crown."

The current crown, in all of its derivations of the past six decades is the British Imperial Crown, applicable to British monarchs of both genders. The alternate version that may be seen on some current badges as well as some pre-1900 helmet plate patterns, is the St Edward's crown, which was a proper Victorian era crown as well.

Badges of The Royal Canadian Regiment; Crowns, Cyphers and Stars
http://regimentalrogue.com/rcrbadges/rcr-badges_crowns.htm

Good thing you posted that clarification . I was just thinking, new Colours & Guidons, new rank badges, new cap badges and new books, all that could use up most of that 12.5 Billion we've been promised pretty fast. :eek:

Wouldn't units that have the cypher EIIR in their unit crest (eg: RCHA) also have to change? As well as all band commanders sashes, etc?

What if Charles decides that He wants the so called "King's Crown"? Would we have to change everything then?

I don't think units with Royal Cyphers necessarily have to change.  We have units (Queen's Own Rifles, King's Own Calgary Regiment) that use lineage based upon the Monarch who was sitting at the time of their creation (Am I right on this one?).

To the best of my limited knowledge any unit that does not wear a monarchs crest in perpetuity (ie the RCR's VRI) will have to change their cypher to match Charles when he becomes King.

Infanteer said:
Actually, IIRC, it is not "King's Crown" and "Queens Crown" - I believe that there are a few Crowns in the Tower of London and that when Charles becomes King Charles III he has his choice of which Crown he will wear.  Can someone confirm this?

The King's Crown is a Tudor Crown, the Queen's is a St. Edward's Crown.

It is possible it won't change when Charles ascends to the throne, and our cap badges will stay the same.

Infanteer said:
I don't think units with Royal Cyphers necessarily have to change.   We have units (Queen's Own Rifles, King's Own Calgary Regiment) that use lineage based upon the Monarch who was sitting at the time of their creation (Am I right on this one?).

Yes - I see Mr. O'Leary beat me to my other reply.

Yes, you are correct - some units use a coronet instead of a crown.

HitorMiss said:
To the best of my limited knowledge any unit that does not wear a monarchs crest in perpetuity (ie the RCR's VRI) will have to change their cypher to match Charles when he becomes King.

Only if Charles changes first, though. 

I'm quite confident King Charles might want to have the "ER II" which is inscribed on top of the barrel of the 105 Howitzer changed.  :)

The Master Gunner can probably correct me, but the crest on the barrels signifies that it has been accepted into service. One of the first things we did when we took delivery of both the M109s and L5s was to etch the cypher on each piece after it was test fired. I believe there is an EME instruction that outlines the procedure. As a mark of acceptance into service, it need not be changed, and frankly I can not imagine how it could be.

The Royal Canadian Regiment has proudly born VRI through several generations of descendants of Queen Victoria without changing, and I am sure they will continue to do the same after we are all dead and gone.

The Royal Canadian Regiment wears HM Queen Victoria's cypher because we were granted the right to wear it in perpetuity, which means monarchs come and go but our VRI will remain forever on our cap badge for as long as the regiment exists.

The crowns don't always change. Here's the 1st Hussars capbadge with none of the 4 crowns shown in M O'Leary's link.

Back