• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what would you bring?

CivJuniorProgrammer

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just got selected for my trade IST, just waiting for the official offer letter to come down the pipeline next week. so ill be going to basic in the next month or so if I had to guess, but I'm just curious what would you wonderful people on here bring to make life easier if you had to do basic all over again?

I've been a part of some Facebook groups for new applicants going into the army, and I've read things that people wished they would of brought from a pack of nitrile gloves to keep your fingers dry in Farnham, from Swiffer's to handheld dust vacuum's to keep their quarters clean and even a second set of toiletries one for inspection and one for daily use.

What would you bring? what's realistic? as I don't want to have 3 friggen' suitcases full of stuff to bring with me haha

thank you all in advance :)

Hey everyone!

Just got selected for my trade IST, just waiting for the official offer letter to come down the pipeline next week. so ill be going to basic in the next month or so if I had to guess, but I'm just curious what would you wonderful people on here bring to make life easier if you had to do basic all over again?

I've been a part of some Facebook groups for new applicants going into the army, and I've read things that people wished they would of brought from a pack of nitrile gloves to keep your fingers dry in Farnham, from Swiffer's to handheld dust vacuum's to keep their quarters clean and even a second set of toiletries one for inspection and one for daily use.

What would you bring? what's realistic? as I don't want to have 3 friggen' suitcases full of stuff to bring with me haha

thank you all in advance :)
Just seeing this!

Firstly, congratulations. We talked at length and I'm glad to see youre moving forward with your career in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. Welcome to the Corps, the Canadian Army, and the CAF inclusive.

Now, to the meat of your questions.

You will receive "joining instructions" (think of them as a welcome package) for CFLRS shortly after enrollment. Itnwill list what you need, what you don't need, and what you shall not bring. Full stop.

Everything you bring, will be inspected prior to you moving forward with training. Any "tricks" are very keenly discovered by the Directing Staff. It may be a costly mistake to bring things only to see them confiscated and not usable.

Additionally, you will be provided with everything you need to be successful on the course. Kit, mop, cleaner, access to the CANEX (a very modestly stocked Wal Mart of sorts) to grab consumable stuff. You will be given the tools needed to pass the course.

A final caution. "Shadow hygeine kits", vacuums, uber polish hacks, etc.... are all prime ways to be "that guy."

As a Staff conducting inspections, right after PT no less, I always would check soap dishes:

Dry? What did you use to wash your body with? Towel is dry? Did you not shower Pte CivProgrammer? That's a hygenie issue, come see me after inspection for your counseling.

See what I mean?

Short cuts are not how we do things. That is why I would just say to anyone: follow the JIs, listen to your Staff, and muddle through like the centuries of other recruits before you have.

If it was impossible, we wouldnt have a CAF.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

VVV

Just some updated information on a few of the points above. I've never an inspection the same day as morning PT, since you need to shower after morning PT and there's never time when inspections are always at 0700 (showers have to be dry so you also wouldn't have time). You'd never hit the 0700 timing if PT is with the PSP staff and you're showing downstairs instead of your room. Shadow hygiene kits are basically used by everyone. I use Dove 3 in 1 (body wash/shampoo/conditioner), so if I get asked why my soap is dry I point out to my bottle of wondrous chemical formulation. Unless your instructors are very dense (mine are excellent), they'll see it as using critical thinking to solve a problem. Why would you build a shed with a screwdriver when you have an electric drill next to you (for example). Towel should always be dry anyways since used towels go in your laundry bag if you had morning PT.

The military doesn't use short cuts, critical thinking and application to achieve the same goal isn't a short cut.

Rubbing alcohol helps take the wax off your dress shoes, Mr Clean magic eraser will get the boot polish off your floor. A red light headlamp will allow you to sneakily wake up before 0500, a common occurrence with timings despite it technically being against the rules. You're not getting downstairs in full FFOs (helmet, tack vest, ballistic goggles, mortar gloves and gas mask carrier) + ruck with bed made and teeth brushed by 0510 if you're waking up at 0500. A spatula helps you keep your bed sheets tight. Have small scissors on hand at all times to cut stray threads. Bring good blue pens, the ones they give you are bad. A weather-proof notepad for Farnham is good to have, but not required. Bring ziplock bags to Farnham, put all your clothes in them so they stay dry. Bring RUB-A535 or something similar, cough drops and cold medicine (unopened). I'm using boot cream (Saphir - black or something similar) to put on dress boots because the polish will crack no matter how much you break them in (I use it on the whole boot except the toe). You don't have time to do them properly, your instructors are aware since they likely have 50-100 layers of polish on their own boots.

A few notes to help you along. Break in your beret ASAP, it looks horrible otherwise. Bring laundry detergent untill you're able to go to CANEX. Nothing better than finding out the 2-3 pairs of civi clothes they tell you to bring need to last you a week and a half until you get your kit. When you get to Farnham, sleep with your Ice Pants on top of your sleeping bag and the legs going into your boots. When they throw 1/10th of a stick of dynamite to wake you up in the middle of the night you'll be able to slip right into your pants and boots then run out of your tent.

Just some updated information on a few of the points above. I've never an inspection the same day as morning PT, since you need to shower after morning PT and there's never time when inspections are always at 0700 (showers have to be dry so you also wouldn't have time). You'd never hit the 0700 timing if PT is with the PSP staff and you're showing downstairs instead of your room. Shadow hygiene kits are basically used by everyone. I use Dove 3 in 1 (body wash/shampoo/conditioner), so if I get asked why my soap is dry I point out to my bottle of wondrous chemical formulation. Unless your instructors are very dense (mine are excellent), they'll see it as using critical thinking to solve a problem. Why would you build a shed with a screwdriver when you have an electric drill next to you (for example). Towel should always be dry anyways since used towels go in your laundry bag if you had morning PT.

The military doesn't use short cuts, critical thinking and application to achieve the same goal isn't a short cut.

Rubbing alcohol helps take the wax off your dress shoes, Mr Clean magic eraser will get the boot polish off your floor. A red light headlamp will allow you to sneakily wake up before 0500, a common occurrence with timings despite it technically being against the rules. You're not getting downstairs in full FFOs (helmet, tack vest, ballistic goggles, mortar gloves and gas mask carrier) + ruck with bed made and teeth brushed by 0510 if you're waking up at 0500. A spatula helps you keep your bed sheets tight. Have small scissors on hand at all times to cut stray threads. Bring good blue pens, the ones they give you are bad. A weather-proof notepad for Farnham is good to have, but not required. Bring ziplock bags to Farnham, put all your clothes in them so they stay dry. Bring RUB-A535 or something similar, cough drops and cold medicine (unopened). I'm using boot cream (Saphir - black or something similar) to put on dress boots because the polish will crack no matter how much you break them in (I use it on the whole boot except the toe). You don't have time to do them properly, your instructors are aware since they likely have 50-100 layers of polish on their own boots.

A few notes to help you along. Break in your beret ASAP, it looks horrible otherwise. Bring laundry detergent untill you're able to go to CANEX. Nothing better than finding out the 2-3 pairs of civi clothes they tell you to bring need to last you a week and a half until you get your kit. When you get to Farnham, sleep with your Ice Pants on top of your sleeping bag and the legs going into your boots. When they throw 1/10th of a stick of dynamite to wake you up in the middle of the night you'll be able to slip right into your pants and boots then run out of your tent.

Just seeing this!

Firstly, congratulations. We talked at length and I'm glad to see youre moving forward with your career in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. Welcome to the Corps, the Canadian Army, and the CAF inclusive.

Now, to the meat of your questions.

You will receive "joining instructions" (think of them as a welcome package) for CFLRS shortly after enrollment. Itnwill list what you need, what you don't need, and what you shall not bring. Full stop.

Everything you bring, will be inspected prior to you moving forward with training. Any "tricks" are very keenly discovered by the Directing Staff. It may be a costly mistake to bring things only to see them confiscated and not usable.

Additionally, you will be provided with everything you need to be successful on the course. Kit, mop, cleaner, access to the CANEX (a very modestly stocked Wal Mart of sorts) to grab consumable stuff. You will be given the tools needed to pass the course.

A final caution. "Shadow hygeine kits", vacuums, uber polish hacks, etc.... are all prime ways to be "that guy."

As a Staff conducting inspections, right after PT no less, I always would check soap dishes:

Dry? What did you use to wash your body with? Towel is dry? Did you not shower Pte CivProgrammer? That's a hygenie issue, come see me after inspection for your counseling.

See what I mean?

Short cuts are not how we do things. That is why I would just say to anyone: follow the JIs, listen to your Staff, and muddle through like the centuries of other recruits before you have.

If it was impossible, we wouldnt have a CAF.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

VVV
Great advice! I'll be keeping this in mind for sure! Thank you again and I will certainly keep you updated! 😊

A few notes to help you along. Break in your beret ASAP, it looks horrible otherwise. Bring laundry detergent untill you're able to go to CANEX. Nothing better than finding out the 2-3 pairs of civi clothes they tell you to bring need to last you a week and a half until you get your kit. When you get to Farnham, sleep with your Ice Pants on top of your sleeping bag and the legs going into your boots. When they throw 1/10th of a stick of dynamite to wake you up in the middle of the night you'll be able to slip right into your pants and boots then run out of your tent
I have quite a few extras to bring that I'm hoping wont get confiscated lol small mid sole boot spikes for ice, hand warmers, ghost hygiene kit, I was going to bring a swiffer but this seems like not a good idea lol but some people swear by it, tide pods and dryer sheets, notebooks and pens, nitrile gloves for under my kit gloves in farnham to keep my hands dry, along with water proof socks, insoles for my boots, sewing kit and extra small scissors, Voltaren and tiger balm, advil, cough drops, blister tape and on and on lol

I have quite a few extras to bring that I'm hoping wont get confiscated lol small mid sole boot spikes for ice, hand warmers, ghost hygiene kit, I was going to bring a swiffer but this seems like not a good idea lol but some people swear by it, tide pods and dryer sheets, notebooks and pens, nitrile gloves for under my kit gloves in farnham to keep my hands dry, along with water proof socks, insoles for my boots, sewing kit and extra small scissors, Voltaren and tiger balm, advil, cough drops, blister tape and on and on lol
Our staff would let us use the boot spikes for the ice unless EVERYONE on the platoon had them. Everyone the same at BMQ was the rule when i went through. Personally they don’t work all that great and you often go from outdoors to indoors with little time to remove them or put them back on and you won’t be allowed to wear them inside.

Back