• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What would you do if your trade was abolished?

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Here is the "situation":

You have just been told your trade is being abolished (no I don't want to hear about how the CF could never live without your trade, just play along here).  You now have a decision to make.  You are being offered 2 plans of action.  The military will continue to pay you at your current rate of pay for up to 1 year while you go through the complete application process (and I mean complete, including application, CFAT etc) to apply for a new trade, or they will pay for 1 year of schooling for you to begin/continue towards a civilian job.  They need your answer by tomorrow. 

Which option will you pick and what trade or job will you choose?

hmmmm interesting scenario....

I think I might go for option A and as for the trade, I might go Met Tech.

I would choose option C because that's what I think Chuck Norris would do!

They could never live without us zipperheads!!  >:D

But if I have to choose probably option A I'll either be a weapons tech or a clerk.

huh that would suck. I think I'll go with A, and reapply for another trade. Btw cant you just VOT to another trade of your choice?

If I had to chose another MOC, I'll probably go with ATC or JAG.

By God they will never be able to take the heavy armour designation away from the Reserves! 
Hm?  Wha...oh.
I guess I'd go recce.  :P

If I didn't finish my contract would they pay me out? After all, they're the ones abolishing my trade.

Actually, I'd definitely remuster but not sure to what trade, though.  AVN, maybe...I don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!  ???

I suppose that as I'm still in the training system this could still happen to me but... I think I'd go MPO.

airmich said:
Here is the "situation":

You have just been told your trade is being abolished (no I don't want to hear about how the CF could never live without your trade, just play along here).  You now have a decision to make.  You are being offered 2 plans of action.  The military will continue to pay you at your current rate of pay for up to 1 year while you go through the complete application process (and I mean complete, including application, CFAT etc) to apply for a new trade, or they will pay for 1 year of schooling for you to begin/continue towards a civilian job.  They need your answer by tomorrow. 

I would be a MDO... Civie trucker for the military... unionized too..  ;)

Do the same job.... so I am not sweating it.

*** TN2IC STRIKES AGAIN ***

Military will never out smart me...... *sigh*

I would don my black beret and charge into battle saying, "Tankity tank!  Tankity tank!"

airmich said:
Here is the "situation":

Very interesting... A and my choise would be...well..herr....humm...either Driver (935) or aviation mechanics to work on helicopter (not sure of the name of the trade or the number)

To help with the question examples of abolish like the PERI trade or amalgamations like the Admin/Fin trades?

I've been through an amalgamation and if given a choice, I'd take the training. Another trade is another set of skills down the road.

I'd definately go with A. And go armoured. Speaking of...has anyone heard of a nurse doing this in real life?

I'd leave Canada and move to Britain to join the Royal Marines to continue my obsession with being an infanteer.

snowy owl said:
Speaking of...has anyone heard of a nurse doing this in real life?

Yup...back in '98, '99 - around there.
Should have mentioned that I can possibly help you get in touch with a nurse who did this if you're thinking of making the same change and are looking for advice/opinions/info...
Let me know.
Bren

I have no fear of my trade being abolished.  If there are only two people left in the forces, one will be the CDS, and other will be a...

Clerk!

Worn Out Grunt said:
I have no fear of my trade being abolished.  If there are only two people left in the forces, one will be the CDS, and other will be a...

Clerk!

Actually, it'll probably be a Supply Tech telling him he can't be released until he turns in his C5 knife.

Yes, I figure supply is right up there... just rec'd an acct from sup of my holdings.  Still had my socks for Cyprus 20 years ago!

I to would go with A. Which trade,  I have no idea but definitely navy.

Back