• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whats new in Recruiting? Gen Hillier's thoughts. Options for improvement.

In the "old days" the SIU did the interviews and investigations for security clearances. Now that CSIS does it all, for all gov't departments, the backlog is huge. Medicals used to be done by locally contracted Drs near each recruiting office.

Acorn

if they do have soldiers goin to schools to talk about the army, just make sure they dont have ptss, or ptsd or whatever it is. they had one guy gome to our highschool and he just got back from one of the early bosnia tours, he was a mess,  i met him before he went overseas, totally different man, hard as nails too.  not sure where im going with this so i will stop typing.lol

kincanucks said:
The best way to cut down the recruiting process time is to increase the size of every CFRC/D two-fold, especially the med staff, put them all in bigger and better facilities, locate them in accessible and visible areas, give them a budget that is realistic, and let RMC, the CIC and reserves process their own applicants.  That will make it easier and faster for the Reg F NCMs and DEOs to be processed and enrolled.

Totally agree Reserves should recruit and process reserves - let the Reg recruit its own this would cut down and back on alot of paperwork and time.  Winnipeg has a fairly modern CFRC which was a pleasure to visit on many occasions - very modern in comparison to some hole in the walls- too bad other Centres were not the same.  And it would be nice to give us guys (Bases with a few Hard Army units) some monies to spend on AF Day.  We had a good one in Brandon and many people showed up and YES We even let them play with the weapons (pull the trigger, etc) and we had a Kiddy Commando (Excellent - get them while they are young) set up - we could have done much more with a little $
Oh yes thanks KinCanucks for the help in the past WRT my sons enrollment - I was a little frusterated with the system (still am) but your points were very valid - just sometimes hard for us old (seen better days, slighly jagged) guys to swallow.  Someday we will actually take our past (toughness, esprit-de-corps, etc) and combine it with our future (technology, pay increases, QOL) - abd DAMN will things be good!

Now this is a question not a comment.

Is it still possable to set up Military colleges, like in the 50's?

i think missions would help with the problem. When the 3rd BN PPCLI went to kandahar the first time there was alot of new troops in the Reg and army after that because they saw it on the news. Maybe news coverage helps, but that can be a double edged sword ref. marines in iraq, shooting fighter in mosque. but i also agree the system needs to move quicker.

YKH - perhaps if I was alive in the 50's I might understand your question?  There is only one Military College left RMC Kingston - CMR and RRMC are more civilian than military institutes, other than prep year at CMR/the Mega.

YKH said, "Is it still possable to set up Military colleges, like in the 50's?"  Huh? Say, again over, you are broken and distorted!

silentbutdeadly said:
i think missions would help with the problem.
amen!

When the 3rd BN PPCLI went to kandahar the first time there was alot of new troops in the Reg and army after that because they saw it on the news.
yup, and now we're losing many of those young troops, because the action they were looking for ain't around.

Not sure but I believe that the movie was called "STRIPES" that is the kind of Military school I meant. Run by an older EX Military Officer and run like an Army base. It was a threat used by parrents when we didn't behave, that they would send us to Military school.

Sorry if this is foreign to you but it did get a lot of young people all Gong Hoo, and even better had them mostly trained when they joined up. Shefferville Que. was one that I know of and they took From Grades 5 to 11 or the Ont 12, but alas that was then and this is now.

The Movie "TAPS" with Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, Timothy Hutton and George C. Scott was filmed at Valley Forge Mil Academy and released 1981.

"Stripes" was a an outrageous comedy with renegade soldiers Bill Murray and John Candy.

Maybe "Cadet Kelly" with Hillary Duff at George Washington Military Academy is more approp. to the discussion.

If you search for the Forum thread on "Robert Land Academy", you would find:   http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32499.15

Army High Schools was also discussion in thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31715/post-236312

This is not a new concept to the Forum but perhaps after reading the discussions you could provide us a few suggestions.   I can find no record of a military school in the northern Quebec area of Schefferville - many native training schools.   Dated or inaccurate info?

I don't see civilian paramilitary highschools as a recruiting solution.  The recruiting centres are the first choke point, but even there we seem to bring in recruits faster than the trg system can turn them into soldiers (just look to the size of some PAT platoons).

Also just a question.

Would there be any point of putting the training (Depot) back to the own battalions as in the 60's? Wolsey Barracks use to run a depot Course each time it got Platoon Strength of recruits.

Gunner98 said:
The Movie "TAPS" with Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, Timothy Hutton and George C. Scott was filmed at Valley Forge Mil Academy and released 1981.

Taps is correct.

This is not a new concept to the Forum but perhaps after reading the discussions you could provide us a few suggestions.   I can find no record of a military school in the northern Quebec area of Schefferville - many native training schools.   Dated or inaccurate info?

No but it was an Army Cadet school, Dated yes 62-63 but not inaccurate as I had School buddies in it.

yeah (paracowboy) we need to keep the training progressive enough to keep them interested thats for sure! but our hands are so tied , it freakin pisses me off! if you want to do any kind of good traing with your troops we need to go through 10 Officers to get them to tell you No!

Young KH said:
Also just a question.

Would there be any point of putting the training (Depot) back to the own battalions as in the 60's? Wolsey Barracks use to run a depot Course each time it got Platoon Strength of recruits.

Yes YKH there is a thread on that issue as well with pros and cons found @ http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31840.0.html

yeah (paracowboy) we need to keep the training progressive enough to keep them interested thats for sure! but our hands are so tied , it freakin pisses me off! if you want to do any kind of good traing with your troops we need to go through 10 Officers to get them to tell you No!

Got to agree, here in Shilo I here many Snr NCOs saying the same thing - even to do trg (that does NOT require $) you need to jump through Battalion or Regt beaurcracy (Officers) to do anything.  What the hell happened to the days of the good old WO or Sgt takin the boys out for a day to do something/anything! We need to take back control (Snr NCOs).

silentbutdeadly said:
roger that. Although 3 VP seems less restricted that way than any other unit I've seen. When the troops are getting antsy, it seems that a WO or a jack muckles onto them and they're doing something productive. Knot training, a day at the rappel tower, map and compass review, something.

Chief Clerk said:
  And it would be nice to give us guys (Bases with a few Hard Army units) some monies to spend on AF Day.   We had a good one in Brandon and many people showed up and YES We even let them play with the weapons (pull the trigger, etc) and we had a Kiddy Commando (Excellent - get them while they are young) set up - we could have done much more with a little $

The demonstration in Brandon was good, I went to check it out while at the airshow with my dad. I looked at all the displays and the soldier with the C7 showed me roughly how to use it. It's to bad they didn't have more of these shows, it was the first time i'd ever seen any military displays, other than a few LAVs driving around the streets since 2 PPCLI moved into Shilo. I also saw the kiddy commando thing but figured i was a little to old for that lol.

This sounds like a pretty good PA victory.
They managed to do something important, they reinforced their link to the community at large (the west) through heritage and tradition, and they were also able to demonstrate their modern capabilities by bringing a Coyote.
They may not attract many new recruits, but they've made the public aware of their existence and undoubtedly established a sense of appreciation and pride  in those who attended or viewed the event on TV.

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?id=602

Strathcona's form 100-soldier honour guard at Spruce Meadows

Friday, July 22, 2005

The Strathcona Mounted Troop

CALGARY, Alberta â ” Members of the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) [LdSH (RC)] participated in the Spruce Meadows internationally acclaimed North American competition involving world-class horse jumpers. More than 150 soldiers entertained riders and spectators from July 7 to 10.

To help celebrate Alberta's 100th and welcome The Honourable Norman L. Kwong, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, LdSH(RC) formed a 100-man honour guard.

The troops completed a parade march past and were able to watch a display of show jumping.

Connecting with Canadians
In addition to the 100-soldier honour guard and the Strathcona Mounted Troop, the Strathcona Historic Vehicle Troop visited Spruce Meadows for the first time.

The Historic Vehicle Troop attracted many children wanting a seat in Catherine, a restored Sherman Tank, and Dieppe, a Ferret. A Coyote, set up in the middle of the riding grounds, provided the crowd an opportunity to look at the surveillance package.

Spruce Meadows and the Strathcona's have developed a close relationship over the past 30 years.

Spruce Meadows helped the Regiment recreate and develop the Strathcona Mounted Troop, which was initially established between 1923 and 1939 and re-established in 1974.

The troop participates in mounted musical rides throughout Alberta and Western Canada as part of preserving cavalry and Western heritage.

Article by Lieutenant Alastair McMurachy
Photos by Lieutenant Alastair McMurachy and courtesy of Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians)

Back