• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Newt said:
Also from a BMQ course this weekend:

1. While on a 5 minute break from lecture to refill canteens and take care of biological admin we were directed by a MCpl to perform a task and a fellow platoon member replied "but we're on a break".

2. A section mate keeps leaving parts of his kit on his bunk and the kit fairy keeps taking those pieces of kit and hiding them amongst other people's kit. He was constantly surprised when this happened. When I told him flat out that he needed to get a hold of his kit otherwise he could likely be charged his response was "Why?"

I hope people start "switching on" soon.

Maybe we should have a thread for the current batch of weekend BMQ's. Share experiences and what not.

:rofl: :rofl:

Do you think TOSHIBA will accept "coffee sprayed through the nose" as a valid reason for an in-warranty repair?  ;D  :p

That was a good laugh!

CEEBEE501 said:
From my Global Studies class

"What the hell are army people doing on UN missions?"
folowed by
"I dont thing the Army should do peacekeeping"

edit: forgot to include his reasoning (also this was about the military world wide)
but his reasoning was that the UN could protect more people if they(armed peacekeepers) had their weapons taken away.
his tone of voice was a very condescending one.
Also according to him the UN is always very successful in protecting people its trying to

so mostly this was a series of dumb comments in my viewpoint

Here's an opinion on that subject given to me by a native Bosnian in Sarajevo:  After the arrival of UN forces ("lightly" armed peacekeepers with UN rules of engagement) to intecede in the civil war Bosnia, the UN brokered over 90 ceasefires, the war raged on and people continued to die.  Once the task was handed over to NATO, which sent in IFOR (then SFOR) armed for bear and with robust ROE, ONE ceasefire was brokered, the war stopped (more or less), as did most of the killing.  The UN has neither the ability, nor the resources to conduct any major peacekeeping operations, particularly where the belligerants don't really want peace.

Pusser said:
Here's an opinion on that subject given to me by a native Bosnian in Sarajevo:  After the arrival of UN forces ("lightly" armed peacekeepers with UN rules of engagement) to intecede in the civil war Bosnia, the UN brokered over 90 ceasefires, the war raged on and people continued to die.  Once the task was handed over to NATO, which sent in IFOR (then SFOR) armed for bear and with robust ROE, ONE ceasefire was brokered, the war stopped (more or less), as did most of the killing.  The UN has neither the ability, nor the resources to conduct any major peacekeeping operations, particularly where the belligerants don't really want peace.

I will include this: The UN does not have the will to conduct any major peacekeeping operations. My two cents, less taxes.

Jim Seggie said:
I will include this: The UN does not have the will to conduct any major peacekeeping operations. My two cents, less taxes.

That, Jim, is the crux. For if they had the will, they would garner the ability and resources in short order. However, they don't have the will and don't want it, so the whole point is moot.

Wheelchair Right Of Way
2010 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin
Article Link

(25 August 2010, Daejon, South Korea) VIDEO NEWS: A handicapped man, annoyed that an elevator closed and departed without him, thinks it over before ramming his wheelchair into the doors not once, not twice, but three times in all--only to plunge down the now-empty elevator shaft to his death. Simultaneous success and failure combine to earn the 40-year-old lasting immortality as a Darwin Award winner.

View the video

The tragic downfall of this rashly rushing rammer provides a heartening example of how brilliant you are--compared to some! However, natural selection just got a little harder. The authorities traced the "problem" to elevator doors that cannot withstand a large impact. Safety regulations were strengthened three years after the elevator was installed, to prevent accidents "such as might happen to children and drunks."
end

GAP said:
"such as might happen to children and drunks in wheelchairs."

There, fixed that.  ;)

I know, I know, I'm going to hell.........  >:D

McDonald’s ex-worker paid for being fat

Wait a minute! Stop the presses! McDonald’s food is fattening?!?

An ex-manager of a McDonald’s in Brazil has been awarded $17,500 US to compensate him for gaining 65 lbs. during the 12 years he worked there.

The unnamed 32-year-old man blames the free meals he was given during his shifts for him supersizing his 155 lbs.-frame to 231 lbs. These meals often consisted of burgers, fries and ice cream. He said the staff was also pressured to sample everything on the menu as the company employed mystery shoppers to report on the food, service and cleanliness of the restaurant.

Now, honestly… How did this guy win his case? I mean, I’m sure the McDonald’s food he ate largely contributed to his weight gain. And I frankly don’t put too much stock in this statement McDonald’s released:

“The chain offers a large variety of options and balanced menus to cater (to) the daily dietary needs of its employees.”

I’m not sure how healthy those “balanced items” are. But even if this ex-worker did feel pressured to sample everything on the menu – sampling just means you have to try it once – not gorge on it daily. I assume he could have opted to bring in his own lunch and eat it in the back room instead of partaking in the free meals.

And here’s another breaking newsflash…

Unless people adjust their eating habits and increase their exercise regimen, they generally get fatter as they age. I personally have gained about 70 lbs. since graduating university. It happens. The bottom line is you can’t eat in your 30s the way you ate in your 20s.

I assume McDonald’s will appeal the case as I really can’t see how they were held responsible for buddy putting on the pounds. That is, unless Grimace and the Hamburglar tied the man to a chair at lunchtime every day while Ronald force-fed him eight quarter pounders with cheese, with a three large fries, and two chocolate shakes at gunpoint.

Still, I wonder if the plaintiff will use the money to get liposuction or a gastric bypass…

More here

Re: "McDonald’s ex-worker paid for being fat."

"If the world's largest restaurant fails to satisfactorily counter the ex-manager’s claims in court, other employees may also file suits against them."
"McDonald's has more than 32000 restaurants in more than 100 countries with a workforce of more than 400000 employees."

"Judge: No Class Action Against McDonald's For Making You Fat":
http://gothamist.com/2010/10/29/judge_you_cant_sue_mcdonalds_in_ny.php
"Instead, any lawsuit against the fast food giant must be brought individually—like in Brazil, where a manager just won a $17K lawsuit against McDonald's over the 65 pounds he gained while working there for a dozen years!"

Los Angeles Times
"McDonald's Faces Happy Meals' Lawsuit: A watchdog group says giving away toys with Happy Meals contributes to childhood obesity and threatens to sue. McDonald's cites healthful menu choices.":
http://www.latimes.com/news/health/sns-health-mcdonalds-happy-meal-lawsuits,0,1457303.story

A book, if interested:
"Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World":
http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Land-Americans-Became-Fattest/dp/0618164723#_

And a movie:
"Fast Food Nation":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hA3PN0uic

"Beef in the French Fries" lawsuit:
http://www.compassionatespirit.com/McDonalds-Lawsuit-Overview.htm

A Toronto story ( below ) some readers may recall.
"McDonald's meal traumatized girl, lawsuit says"
"Features of post traumatic stress disorder"
"The incident caused enduring trauma and an emotional reaction that will likely reduce XXXXX's ability to pursue gainful employment"

Young defaulter on CB to me the other day when I was Base Duty WO - "I'm on the Base Hockey team and we have a game tonight at 2200 - can I play?"

MM

Not permitted to participate in a PSP approved/sanctioned fitness program during work time ...to improve his fitness level.? 
Blasphemy.!!

medicineman said:
Young defaulter on CB to me the other day when I was Base Duty WO - "I'm on the Base Hockey team and we have a game tonight at 2200 - can I play?"

Feck no!  Who do you think you are?  Gretzky?  ::)

Pretty much anything out of the mouth of Michael Moore qualifies for this thread....

xena said:
Pretty much anything out of the mouth of Michael Moore qualifies for this thread....

Agreed.  The guy is a waste of oxygen, food, film, etc........

ModlrMike said:
Michael Moore calls Canada 'shameful'

Yes, Moore the tabloid headline-writer -- only to find the logic of his research completely absent.
This country was so generous to those of my generation who did not want to kill the Vietnamese, and they opened the border," he said. By contrast, the Canadian government and courts have so far resisted offering refuge to U.S. soldiers going north to avoid battle in Iraq.
Missing the whole point of Vietnam-era conscription versus today's volunteer soldiers who don't think it's fair that they have to actually earn the Queen's shilling President's peso they've signed up for.  ::)

There's 71 :eek: fun-filled pages on this  here already

Not so dumb except for the reason of the lawsuit itself.....

Starbucks defeats woman’s tea burn lawsuit

I guess McDonalds could learn a thing or two from Starbucks.

This looks to be more from general clumsiness.....

She spilled tea onto her left leg and foot when she tried to remove the lid from a “venti“-sized cup of tea, causing burns that required a skin graft. Her hospital stay later resulted in other injuries, including bed sores as well as herniated discs caused by a fall out of bed.

......than anything else.  ::)

From one of the comments to this story:

It's ludacris that Cesar can't bring his dog Junior into our province because of fear that he will be seized by authorities.

No, what's ludicrous is that we now have a generation of people who think ludicrous is spelled ludacris because some rapper decided to deliberately misspell his stage name.

edit: I couldn't even misspell it on purpose...

Back