• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the food like on course? (BMQ, DP, ect...) [Merged]

As an aside, feel free to compare/contrast ration meals (including Canadian) from a range of countries at the NY Times photo feature here:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/09/04/weekinreview/20100905_gilbertson.html

CDN Aviator said:
One person complains theres too much, the other that theres not enough. At least, if theres more than you need, you have the option of not eating it. Not going to make everyone happy.

That's so very true, isn't it???  I'm sure the scoops are the recommended portion sizes but - that being said, they're always allowed going back for seconds! :)

The girl I gave a ride home to the other day, was WAY too excited about the food. She went on and on and on about what she ate the past three days and says she has NEVER ate this well! She is actually looking forward to the next meal, if that is any indicator to others about how the food is :) 

armychick2009 said:
that being said, they're always allowed going back for seconds! :)

Going through basic, we never had more than a few minutes to "inhale" a meal so going back for seconds was not realy an option. Pile it on the plate, stuff it down, enjoy the taste later.

Inhale...  :D  My section had 45 minutes or less to make most of 4-litre jug of milk disappear.

milnews.ca said:
As an aside, feel free to compare/contrast ration meals (including Canadian) from a range of countries at the NY Times photo feature here:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/09/04/weekinreview/20100905_gilbertson.html

Mmmmmm, they have MRE Pork Rib.... so tasty. That British ration though.... looks just completely awful. I guess that's why everything is in foil bags. Close your eyes and eat.

I find the Brits usually do a very good curry.  Their hayboxes leave a bit to be desired though:  chips with everything and "Oh, sausages.  It must be Tuesday."

The dutch rations are pretty good. They do the 24-hour ration box, with one main meal and a variety of wet cat food tins and crackers with other goodies (dextrose tablets anyone?). I used to know one of the Dutch Div Comd CPP guys in Bosnia who was nuts about IMPs, so we traded a few times.

After having sampled culinary delights from a number military kitchens, IMO Canadian cooks are definately the best. Give one of our cooks a flying kitchen and a bunch of hungry troops, and they will work wonders.

Love the German Mess. Mind you if you're not open to try new things you'll be visiting McD's or Burger King often.

Regards

As much as I live German beer, they only thing they do better is their bread.

...and saurbraten
...and schweinhaxe
...and spaetzle

...anyone else hungry?  :nod:

Keep it up with the German food thing, and you'll have me crossing the border to go to Frankenmuth, MI or possibly Metzger's (outside of Ann Arbor, MI), or heck, my grandfather's place, just to get some yummy German food...

I'm not quite the Baden/Lahr vintage, but I did spend a lot of time working with with 1GNC and the EUBG as a contractor with colleagues who were...they taught me well.  ;)

0tto Destruct said:
As much as I live German beer, they only thing they do better is their bread.

...and saurbraten
...and schweinhaxe
...and spaetzle

...anyone else hungry?  :nod:

What about wurst salad and flamekuchen?

And Mint tea at breakfast (In the Mess).

Autobahn coffee.

Don't forget about Bratkartoffeln , currywurst....the of course Weisse Biere, Schnapps....

Regards

Do they set how much food you are given or is their always the option to get more? I ask because I know alot of young guys 19-25 especially those that are active could eat 5 times that of some of the older soldiers.

Army food is delicious. I don't care what anyone says.
They have really good desserts!

You can eat as much as you want, but you have to go to the back of the line each time you want a second/third/fourth/etc serving.
If there's no one in line, well then that's gravy. ;D

Back