• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the world's tallest building? Don't answer too fast!

exgunnertdo

Inactive
Reaction score
Dubai building surpasses CN Tower in height
Updated Thu. Sep. 13 2007 11:31 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The CN Tower has fallen in stature a little bit. It's no longer the world's tallest building. The Burj Dubai, a US$4.1 billion hotel, business, and residential complex under construction in the United Arab Emirates has surpassed the Toronto landmark in height.

On Wednesday, the Burj Dubai soared slightly above the CN Tower's 553 metres -- and it's expected to reach even higher heights as construction continues. When it's finally complete, the ritzy new building will be 800-metres tall.

More on link:  http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070913/cn_tower_070913/20070913?hub=SciTech

Like most things in Dubaii, simply amazing.

The architecture is awesome ...

but Wild Wadi was FUN!!!

The Jumeriah Sceirah rocked!!

That building looks like something straight out of Star Wars. A shame we got taken down from our throne though.

I would absolutely love to see it in person

Pretty neat looking spot, eh?  Here's some consolation for us (from the article):

Initial reports indicate that Burj Dubai's observation deck will be located on its 124th floor, which is 442 metres high. That could still leave the CN Tower in the record books for the world's highest "publicly" accessible observation deck, which is a full five metres above the Burj Dubai deck.

So at least we still have something!!  :cdn:

Yup, kinda symbolic all-around.

While Toronto declines in all aspects, other cities are becoming modern Meccas. Toronto uninspiring architecture ranges from the absolutely dated (skyline) to the absolutely idiotic (ROM crystal and OCAD building).

Blindspot said:
Yup, kinda symbolic all-around.

While Toronto declines in all aspects, other cities are becoming modern Meccas. Toronto uninspiring architecture ranges from the absolutely dated (skyline) to the absolutely idiotic (ROM crystal and OCAD building).

I'm not sure Toronto truly declines; it was pretty shitty to start with. :)

Keep driving those SUVs and keeping oil prices high folks - the UAE needs your support!

dapaterson said:
Keep driving those SUVs and keeping oil prices high folks - the UAE needs your support!

In the Emirate of Dubai oil actually only accounts for 3% of their GDP.  Unknown to most people though is that Dubai has a pretty harsh human rights record when it comes to construction workers.  There are an estimated 250,000 east asian workers in the Dubai Emirate and many of them live 8 people to a room and the employers there have a record of not paying their employees for months at a time.

00334 said:
In the Emirate of Dubai oil actually only accounts for 3% of their GDP.  Unknown to most people though is that Dubai has a pretty harsh human rights record when it comes to construction workers.  There are an estimated 250,000 east asian workers in the Dubai Emirate and many of them live 8 people to a room and the employers there have a record of not paying their employees for months at a time.

Ever been in a bar in Dubaii to view those "dates" that they fly in routinely (for a set period of time, of course) for those construction workers?? It's quite the sanctionned 'business' and it's booming. Try the Continental ...  ;)

ArmyVern said:
Ever been in a bar in Dubaii to view those "dates" that they fly in routinely (for a set period of time, of course) for those construction workers?? It's quite the sanctionned 'business' and it's booming. Try the Continental ...  ;)

I have heard of the prostitution business booming there but I haven't heard of the construction workers getting much "benefit" from it.  I've only heard negative things like skilled carpenters being paid the small sum of £4.34 a day as noted in this article from the Guardian.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1737180,00.html>

00334 said:
I have heard of the prostitution business booming there but I haven't heard of the construction workers getting much "benefit" from it.  I've only heard negative things like skilled carpenters being paid the small sum of £4.34 a day as noted in this article from the Guardian.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1737180,00.html>

Go to a bar like the Continental to witness it. It's quite scary actually.

I agree with your take on treatment of construction workers though. All the labour is imported there ...

and the temperature never officially breachs that 50 degree mark ... else they'd have to send them home from work. Funny how the thermometers we had always read much higher than the official temp given for the emirate ...

I did see it hit 49 officially though ... when ours read 56.  ;)

dapaterson said:

There are a lot of vehicles out there with worse mileage... but few as useless...

Back