• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

I got the NOAB call on Friday.
Maybe Ottawa's finally getting through the medical paperwork backlog?
Didn't get any info other than to expect a flight on the 27th and to be back home on October 2nd or 3rd.

Congrats Plumber!  So that makes Diesel, Rob and Plumber as the lucky ones so far....tick, tick, tick..... the count down is on!

Well, I'd like to add my name to the list as well! I've been reading this thread for a long time, and am glad to add my first post....

After applying some months ago, I got the call yesterday to attend NOAB with you all Sept 28. In fact, Diesel, you and I will be flying out together, I'm told (I'm Cody Black, from our Ville de Quebec sail).  I am very excited, not only for NOAB and the MOST exam, but for my whole (potential, fingers crossed) future career!

As you all know, trying to get the straight answers from recruiters, forces.ca, various web threads etc. can be a daunting and confusing endeavour. I was fortunate enough to participate on the HMCS Ville de Quebec sail from Sarnia to Windsor, and I can only echo Diesel's enthusiasm and gratitude for a unique and enriching experience. I've since heard whistling out on the streets, and can only think of the ship's piping with a smile. Navy life and a career as a MARS officer is for me, definitely. In any event, I look forward to meeting you all in person, and hope that all of our tests/interviews/medicals etc. all work out and we'll be enrolled successfully.

Also, I'm keen to meet the other Beatles fans amongst us... :)

Good job Cody,

Glad to hear you got the call in, will be nice to have a partner for the trip, that way if we both get lost, just like on the way to Sarnia the other day, then I can blame it on you!! being the older guy, just kidding...

So LS McKinnon said to come in next week to pick up the tickers etc, Im going in monday around noon.  Im incredibly excited as well, and i keep listening to that recording of the whistle i got on my phone!!

Ha! We only got lost in Sarnia because there were no MARS officers navigating...;) In any event the LS said we'd be changing flights, so maybe we'll be picking up a few people somewhere. It was Winnipeg last time I went out that way. I was planning on checking in on Monday as well. Well, less than 2 weeks to go... this Great Lakes man is looking forward to smelling the salt-sea air once again!

I have not received the phone call yet, but.....I picked up my bloodwork and ECG results this morning from my doctor's officer here in Saint John and drove (read hauled A$$) up to Fredericton to hand deliver them.  They are sending my file via purolator this morning and expect it to get to Ottawa later today so that the RMO can look at it tomorrow (an email has already been send expressing urgency).  My RC feels that me making this NOAB is still very feasible.

Don't give up SI.  What did your RC say last time you spoke to them?  And just like you said earlier, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas day.  I am going to go crazy for the rest of this week until I hear word.

Steve out
:cdn:

Just returned from a quick trip to the RC.  I was told that my file was sent on to the NOAB selection folks.  So now I have to wait and see if I am chosen.  The LS told me that I could get a call up to the 24th or 25th!  Arg... now the week is really going to go slowly.  Good Luck Steve!

And.... add me to the list!  Yahoo!  Steve after reading your note, I started thinking... I wonder how they are sending my documents to Ottawa.  So I just phoned to ask when they would get it and the LS says 'oh well it says you have been assigned'.  So my jaw dropped.  Yes, so they will call me when they get the papers/tickets etc. for me to pick up. Looking forward to seeing the rest of you and pulling for Steve to be selected!  My name is Paul btw.

NOAB here I come..... talk about a way to pick up your day!  :nod:

You can apparently add me to the list !
Don't know when I'll go pick up my tickets and everything, but I'm on the list.

I'm a girl and I have a French accent, you'll recognize me !!  :D

We 'll have to do a countdown soon !  How many now ? 9, 10 ?

Congrats Trish.  So I make that as 6 from this Forum so far :

Diesel
Rob
Plumber
Cody
Trish
and me Paul

with Steve soon to follow!

and 12 days by my count (if we all arrive on the 27th).

So, now any great ideas on preparing for the MOST and interviews?  I think I have read 'just be yourself' for the interview... makes sense.  But what about the test?  Is it sort of like a version of the CFAT on steroids?

Congrats everyone!! When Cody and I were on the VDQ he grilled the officers about the NOAB.  Most of them said not to worry about it too much, they said the most important thing was to be presentable, witty and honest.  Thats because a MARS officer is the face of the Navy.  We are the only trade that can become the captain, the only trade to run the combat operations and the only trade to become command (Admiral and such).  They said in the interviews to be clever, the questions will be hard, alot of real situations, fire on board, ship collision avoidance etc.  They said to make sure you take your time to answer the question thoughtfully.  About the MOST, most said it was a joke and not to worry about it too much, more or less exactly like the CFAT with some seamanship thrown in.  Study mental math, large number multiplications, as well as trig.  one question given may be a buoy is 2deg off port bow at 3 miles, if you stay on present course how far away from the buoy will you be when your beside it.  Simple trig, something navigators know of the top of their head!  All in all, they said to enjoy the trip, ask as many questions as possible and remain confident, most people are turned away due to lack of integrity, enthusiasm and character, and some just plain cop-out when the realize how hard it will be!

Congratulations to all of you on getting shortlisted.  Don't count me out just yet.  I have yet to get a call.  I will call my RC this afternoon.  Wish me luck.

Jerry.

Good luck Jerry.  My understanding is that you could get a call even into next week, so keep your spirits up!

Diesel.... guess simple trig was never a forte of mine!  So is there a simple way to determine the distance to buoy in your head?  I gather that using the tangent of 2 deg multiplied by 3 miles or equivalent yards will give you the distance to the buoy, however I don't think I could easily do that in my head (and to do that do I need to have the tangent table memorized)?  Is there another method?

Well I called in,doesnt look like i am on the list, but i am still holding out that maybe i will get put on there !

Perhaps I found the answer to my own question.... is this a correct rule of thumb?

for every degree at one mile distance to buoy would be about 35 yards

so for 3 deg at 1 mile about (3 x 35) ~ 105 yds

for 2 deg at 10 miles ((2 x 35)10) ~ 700 yds

if that is correct, not too hard to remember that one

you got it SI, the officers said 1 deg at 1 mile was 33 yards... and its just multiplication from there out.  They've done it so many times they know all of the variants automatically.  But keep up the studying and youll do fine! The MOST is not a deciding factor in their decision, so ive been told.

I have a question why are these questions done using imperial numbers, is this what the military still uses

The miles they are using are Nautical Miles. 1nm = 1.8507km/
1 statue mile = 1.609km
1nm = @ 2020 yds

We round off to 2000yds. We like to use round numbers.

Everyone is on the right track about "Mental Math".  The internationally accepted standard of measurement at sea is the Nautical Mile, which is equal to 1 minute of arc along a meridian (you will learn all of this in great detail...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

It is also pretty close to a Tactical Mile in measurement (explained further down in the link) which divides quite evenly, and thus quickly when doing it in your head on the bridge on 2 hours sleep in 2 days, blah blah blah.

The trig is simple  - once you get the hang of it.  If it is any encouragement - I am an Arts major.  I failed every.single.math course I ever took - some of them spectacularly - even Finite Math - and I ended up becoming a Navigating Officer and then teaching mental math at NOTC years ago.  Mental Math is no problem - but like most MARS skills, it is persihable and requires constant prcatise to be able to do it quickly.

The actual "rule" at work is called "radian rule"  Google it and you will find all sorts of methods of solving for it - and your instructors at NOTC will tell you even more ways.  Everyone uses their own way - Navigating Officers can use them all effectively and quickly.

You guys have a great thing going on with this thread...

Hope this helps,

MARS

Thanks Diesel and MARS.... I think I am now on the right track now.  This is definitely a great thread for those of us heading to the NOAB.... If they have 20?? or so attend the NOAB (anyone know the expected numbers) the ones who are not involved here are missing out on some great info.

Back