• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

As an older arts-major candidate whose memories of high school mathematics are more fond than recent, these tips are proving invaluable. I'd like to read a brief expansion upon the Trig topic, for example.

For others who may benefit from this type of review, this topic has also been discussed on other threads here (search for Maritime Officer Selection Test and MARS III/IV math requirements).

wrivers said:
I have a question why are these questions done using imperial numbers, is this what the military still uses

This part gets a bit annoying for us engineering types, as the vast majority of our "range" type calculations come out in metres, but everyone else wants nm, so we have to add that divide by 1852 step. At least it's an easy number to remember, as it's 1, and then the numbers are, on the calculator, stacked on top of each other.

Been away from my computer for a few days and boy have I missed a lot.  Great to see all the people going with me to NOAB.

I am one of three going from Sudbury...so I'm told.

Thanks MARS for your post.  Back in July when I was getting my application in to the RC, I think I read every one of your posts.  We here on this thread are pretty lucky to have you join us with all your knowledge.  Thanks for that.

I hope someone could answer my next question.....  Are we expected to know the nautical stuff like 1 degree = 33 feet at 1 mile  (did I get that right?)?  Or on the tests will they give you all the information you need to calculate an answer?  If someone asked me how far away from a buoy I would be if it was 4 degrees off my port side at 3 miles I would have no clue at all.  If we need to learn some basic nautical information then I better start searching the internet right now.  Anybody have some websites beyond what has been mentioned?

Thanks

rob1972 said:
Been away from my computer for a few days and boy have I missed a lot. 

Are we expected to know the nautical stuff like 1 degree = 33 feet at 1 mile  (did I get that right?)?  Or on the tests will they give you all the information you need to calculate an answer?  If someone asked me how far away from a buoy I would be if it was 4 degrees off my port side at 3 miles I would have no clue at all. 

Welcome back Rob... it has been quiet in here the last couple of days... I was wondering where everyone went.

I believe it is 33 yards not feet.  I don't know if we need to know all this stuff that I figured we would be learning once on MARS training or not.  Before an earlier note indicating the 'buoy' question, I would not have thought so.  My take is that some of the MOST questions may be on seamanship just to see if you have any knowledge to begin with but that perhaps that part will not reflect on your suitability for the job, just give them an idea of where you would  be 'starting'...  I am with you, I had to look up the trig to figure this one out, no way I would have remembered this from school.  But perhaps a good thing we are on this forum!

You're not expected to know any of that stuff, and the MOST test does not test any naval trivia, or anything else of the sort. It is testing your cognitive abilities under pressure (specifically a time limit). Frankly, this really isn't something you can study for.

Any actual skills that you will need later on to do your job in your trade will be given to you in training. They're not worried about where you're "starting", as the training is structured to assume that everyone is starting from a blank slate.

Thanks gcclarke and MARS, for helping define the MOST a little. As you know, it's tough to prepare for a test, upon which our careers might rest, and yet of necessity we cannot know what might really be required!

hey guys, found the radian rule formula that MARS was talking about.  It goes as follows, 6miles off your portside at 5 degrees would be 12000yards(6nm)/60 x 5deg which equals 1200 yards, 1mile at 1deg is 2000 yards /60 x 1 deg = 33yards, this is how these guys do it in their head so quick, and may be an easier route for us to do this if we need to.  Just keep practicing IQ tests online and we'll do fine.

My thanks too gcclarke.  I think most of the applicants on this forum share at least one trait.  We all try to find out as much information about the situation we are putting ourselves into as possible.  You may not be able to prepare for all contingencies, but the more you know going in, the more confident you can be.  Hopefully this is a trait that is useful for the MARS role.

Well said Paul.  And thanks gcclarke.... for those of us trying hard to succeed at this, it sure helps having the good information that you share with us.  I am sure I speak for the others when I say that we value and respect the vaste experience you and MARS and others.  Thanks.

You know, it makes me think that if MARS and gcclarke are any reflection of the kinds of officers and NCMs we'll encounter on our journeys to becoming MARS Officers then it certainly will be enjoyable.

But then again, I always say that if you bring a respectful and positive attitude to a situation and you go looking for that in others, then that's what you will find.  If you go into somewhere thinking negatively or with a cocky attitude then you'll find that instead.

10 days left until we travel to NOAB.  Can't wait!

10 days? Wow.  only 1 day left for me to get the phone call from the RC.  I am sitting at work waiting for an email from my wife saying that they called.  I think I will go completely mental tomorrow waiting for the call....

Rob.  I agree with you 100%, you get out of a situation what you put into it and that includes attitude.

Congrats to everyone so far.  Is anyone else waiting for the call besides me?

Have a great day everyone!

Steve

OK, so using my new math skills...

10 days left/60,  times 7 or so of us hopefuls = ???  uh 2310 yards?  Hmmmm, might be a short stay for me in Esquimalt.

Good luck Steve....

That's funny SI, good one.  Gave me a chuckle.

You and I will be the 'mature' ones in the program and we WILL be there at the end, have no fear.

Steve

Everybody keeps writing about mental maths... will we have scrap paper and pencil like at the CFAT ?

Does anyone knows when NCSM Ville de Québec left Oshawa to come to Montréal ? I'll go take a look at lunch time tomorrow if she's at the port yet !

Trish said:
Everybody keeps writing about mental maths... will we have scrap paper and pencil like at the CFAT ?

Does anyone knows when NCSM Ville de Québec left Oshawa to come to Montréal ? I'll go take a look at lunch time tomorrow if she's at the port yet !

Don't know about the scrap paper Trish.... Might be, might not.  Even if you have it, could be that they are thinking the time given for the questions is too short so you will be forced to do as much of the math in your head as you can just to be faster???  Just my guess.

I looked at a schedule for the GLD and it says the ship will be in Montreal tomorrow, but it does not say what time she docks.  So go have a look, you will be even more excited to attend the NOAB then!

Steve, I agree.... maturity (and my gray hair) have to be worth something

SomethingImportant said:
maturity (and my gray hair) have to be worth something

Hair? You have hair?  You will be able to recognize me then...since I really don't have hair.  I call it a five-head; that is one more than a forehead.

Steve_D said:
Hair? You have hair?  You will be able to recognize me then...since I really don't have hair.  I call it a five-head; that is one more than a forehead.

As my Kids say.... LOL.  Steve I'm looking forward to meeting you and your five-head.... one bonus there, your missing hair does not give away your uh ... maturity!

Paul alias SI

She slipped from Oshawa this morning at 0815 - which means she is finally out of my area of responsibility - sweet - I can get back to the piles of paperwork on my desk. :-\

I will look at her schedule at work tomorrow and post her arrival time around 0930 tomorrow morning - unless someone posts it here before then.  She has to transit the locks sometime tomorrow, so I doubt she will arrive by noon.  If you get a chance, you should really go down to the jetty and check her out as she makes her approach alongside - watching her get bigger...and bigger...and bigger until she fills your filed of vision.  Pretty neat.

MARS

Thanks MARS... I doubt I can use a great enough excuse to escape from work all afternoon just to hang out near Alexandra Port !!

cough, cough, sniff, sniff, aachoo!

Sounds like you need to go to Shoppers Drugmart for some cold medicine before you infect the whole place!

Either that or a really long bathroom break!!

Just trying to help!

Good Luck!

FDO said:
cough, cough, sniff, sniff, aachoo!

Sounds like you need to go to Shoppers Drugmart for some cold medicine before you infect the whole place!

Either that or a really long bathroom break!!

Just trying to help!

Good Luck!

Good idea FDO : We don't have ''Shoppers Drugmart'' in Quebec, so it will be lllloooooonnnnnnggggggg before I can reach one and come back !!!!

Back