• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where do I go from here?

AceOfSpades

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I am 18 years old and I applied for 3 positions, Combat Engineer, Ammunition Technician, and Traffic Technician, in July. After I applied online I got an e-mail telling me to mail a copy of my birth certificate and high school transcript so I sent those but after sending those I didn't hear back so I called my recruitment center in New West and then called North Bay and couldn't get any information I finally got some information when I called a few days ago and I was told that none of the positions I applied for are open and I'll have to wait until April to see if they will be open again. Anyways now I am not sure what to do, I was thinking of just working for a while since I can't think of any specific university course I want to do and I don't want to waste a few thousand dollars. I do like Arts however I don't see getting a job out of it and was thinking of doing it through the RMCC later on in life. What do you guys think I should do?

If you aren't interested in any post secondary education, your best bet would probably be to get a full time job and work until the next fiscal year comes around. Having a job would keep you busy and show that you can handle a commitment. Also, volunteering would be another good use of your time while you're waiting. And of course, make sure you stay in shape or get into the habit of routine exercising.

Timberwolf said:
If you aren't interested in any post secondary education, your best bet would probably be to get a full time job and work until the next fiscal year comes around. Having a job would keep you busy and show that you can handle a commitment. Also, volunteering would be another good use of your time while you're waiting. And of course, make sure you stay in shape or get into the habit of routine exercising.
This is the route I am thinking would work best and I exercise often, thanks for the reply.

Infantry
JTF2
Construction engineer
retire from the CF
own a small business.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Infantry
JTF2
Construction engineer
retire from the CF
own a small business.
Sounds like a good life plan, but seriously I don't know which the recruiters would prefer me going to school or having a full time job either way its irrelevant to the positions I applied for.

AceOfSpades said:
...I can't think of any specific university course I want to do...

If the military doesn't work out or you just want another option, I would seriously consider an apprenticeship.

You indicated making 3 choices. How much is your heart set on one of those three? Have you talked to the RC to see what is open and research what they involve to see if one of those might also interest you?

Steve_D said:
You indicated making 3 choices. How much is your heart set on one of those three? Have you talked to the RC to see what is open and research what they involve to see if one of those might also interest you?

Indeed. In my opinion, the 3 choices are very diverse. Talk to a RC and maybe you can find a choice that you will like (perhaps even more) that is open right now. I hear SupTech is hurting for people right now.

Whats Suptech?

1 week ago I applied for the Ammunition tech, combat engineer, and army communications information system.

Considering your choices are similar I am now worried, I have reasons for choosing each of my choices, however there were many others that I thought would have been an interesting career. I picked only from the list that had a checkmark on forces.ca which meant that they were accepting applications. Also when I visited the recruitment center I was told that the ACIS and Engineer positions were open.

Now I only applied a week ago so I cant complain as I was told at the recruitment center that I will be contacted by phone 2-3 weeks after my documents reach the North Bay office.

I was just checking today on forces.ca and all of the "accepting applications" checkmarks are down. What does this mean?

alsbball said:
Whats Suptech?

1 week ago I applied for the Ammunition tech, combat engineer, and army communications information system.

Considering your choices are similar I am now worried, I have reasons for choosing each of my choices, however there were many others that I thought would have been an interesting career. I picked only from the list that had a checkmark on forces.ca which meant that they were accepting applications. Also when I visited the recruitment center I was told that the ACIS and Engineer positions were open.

Now I only applied a week ago so I cant complain as I was told at the recruitment center that I will be contacted by phone 2-3 weeks after my documents reach the North Bay office.

I was just checking today on forces.ca and all of the "accepting applications" checkmarks are down. What does this mean?
The information of the way website is outdated to find out what is actually hiring call your recruitment centre.

Anyways I listened to your guys advice and I got information on some positions that are hiring so I e-mailed them telling them what positions I want to apply for and does anyone know how long it'll take until they get back to me? Also I went to my online profile and it says nothing about the transcript and birth certificate I mailed them, should I send more copies over? When I called to ask them about it they told me they couldn't open my account since the positions I applied for are closed and couldn't give me any information.

alsbball said:
Whats Suptech?

SupTech

Supply Technician

A person who makes sure all the army's assets are accounted for, drives vehicles, and makes sure that troops have their beans and bullets on hand.

After the military, you can get jobs working in supply/warehouses at a higher pay level than entry warehouse workers. I believe it's a good job to transition over to civy side. As you worker you way up the ranks, you get qualifications that can put you directly into management positions. We've had Combat Storesmen (people not SupTechs trained to act like a minor SupTech) recently get out of the military and get civvy jobs due to their experience with stores.

Disclaimer: I am personally in the infantry but work in the RQMS. I hear from my superiors where they are going when they get out and also how hurtin' their trade is for people. I do not speak for the RC and open positions for that trade. If you take my suggestion, take it with a grain of salt and do some investigation on your own before running into a job.

GhostofJacK said:
SupTech

Supply Technician

A person who makes sure all the army's assets are accounted for, drives vehicles, and makes sure that troops have their beans and bullets on hand.

After the military, you can get jobs working in supply/warehouses at a higher pay level than entry warehouse workers. I believe it's a good job to transition over to civy side. As you worker you way up the ranks, you get qualifications that can put you directly into management positions. We've had Combat Storesmen (people not SupTechs trained to act like a minor SupTech) recently get out of the military and get civvy jobs due to their experience with stores.

Disclaimer: I am personally in the infantry but work in the RQMS. I hear from my superiors where they are going when they get out and also how hurtin' their trade is for people. I do not speak for the RC and open positions for that trade. If you take my suggestion, take it with a grain of salt and do some investigation on your own before running into a job.

Supply Techs allow have the unique opportunity to become parachute riggers. Invloves a lot of parachute packing/rigging but they also learn to lawndart out of planes!

Supply Tech is one of my new choices I made it is hiring now but I just have to wait for them to change what I am applying for.

AceOfSpades said:
Supply Tech is one of my new choices ....
It was the hacky-sack guy's mention of Packer/Riggers, wasn't it...  :nod:

AceOfSpades said:
Hi I am 18 years old and I applied for 3 positions, Combat Engineer, Ammunition Technician, and Traffic Technician, in July. After I applied online I got an e-mail telling me to mail a copy of my birth certificate and high school transcript so I sent those but after sending those I didn't hear back so I called my recruitment center in New West and then called North Bay and couldn't get any information I finally got some information when I called a few days ago and I was told that none of the positions I applied for are open and I'll have to wait until April to see if they will be open again. Anyways now I am not sure what to do, I was thinking of just working for a while since I can't think of any specific university course I want to do and I don't want to waste a few thousand dollars. I do like Arts however I don't see getting a job out of it and was thinking of doing it through the RMCC later on in life. What do you guys think I should do?

If your not interested in academic upgrading, then what about Physical Fitness/Sports, Activities and Interests, Leadership/Supervisory Experience?  These are three other items listed on the application that can be improved upon in the "short term".  While your choice of occupations may not be available at this time, your application will still remain active and you can still "improve" upon it!

Its been about three weeks since I e-mailed them requesting a change on the positions I was applying for and I haven't heard back. Any information on how long it usually takes?

I would second the advice that's already been given: While you wait for the next step in your recruitement process, don't sit still. Get physically active, get into good physical shape. Volunteer. Get involved in leadership activities. Do it for yourself and to improve your application. Get to know your new profession of choice closely, so that you can rock the interview.

You mention you've been emailing the CF. I would suggest going to the CFRC instead. Emails are not always returned or they take time. At the CFRC, you may have to sit and wait a bit, but after your wait you sit down with the actual recruiter who can give you the most up-to-date info. If you can't make it to the centre for next few days, call. If they don't pick up, call again. Persistency!

As for the online application, I've also checked it several times during my application process (currently ongoing), but I don't think it gets updated. I seem to recall from one of the original emails I've received from the CF regarding my application that the online application dates either don't get updated or are incorret. All your correct dates for tests and such will be given to you by your local CFRC personnel.

In my opinion, you should go to the CFRC asap and find out which positions you qualify for that are also open. Then sit down at home and look into each of them. If you find one you love, apply right away, do everything you're told as soon as possible and to the very best of your ability. If the position you love is closed and you'd like to wait, be productive while you wait - strengthen your application as I've mentioned above. Maybe get a job too in the mean time.

(Maybe you've already done some of these steps, sorry I don't remember everything you've posted as I write this. If you already did - good job, keep at it.)

Well I got a job now and also found open positions that I like and I e-mailed them to tell them I want to apply for different positions and I am just waiting to get some sort of confirmation. I am also going to the gym 4-5 times a week so I am in good shape I just have to wait for my ankle to heal up so I am able to run no problem. One thing I am worried about is I heard instead of an actual run they do a step-test and check your bpm and my resting is all the way at like 70 even though I am fairly good shape will that be a problem?

AceOfSpades said:
One thing I am worried about is I heard instead of an actual run they do a step-test and check your bpm and my resting is all the way at like 70 even though I am fairly good shape will that be a problem?

This may help.

Step Test Super Thread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12943.0
8 pages

STEP TEST?!?!?
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/76441.0

Step Test  ( 1 )
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/107817.0/topicseen.html

Step Test  ( 2 )
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107638.0

What does the Step Test consist of?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13430.0

Beep test or Step test 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/101982.0

Breathing Tips For Step test 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13521.0

AceOfSpades said:
Well I got a job now and also found open positions that I like and I e-mailed them to tell them I want to apply for different positions and I am just waiting to get some sort of confirmation. I am also going to the gym 4-5 times a week so I am in good shape I just have to wait for my ankle to heal up so I am able to run no problem. One thing I am worried about is I heard instead of an actual run they do a step-test and check your bpm and my resting is all the way at like 70 even though I am fairly good shape will that be a problem?

I would still suggest talking to them in person and calling the CFRC periodically to check on the status of your application. Not every day or anything, but maybe every couple of weeks or so. I can't stress this enough. Email correspondence is not always a sure thing. Good luck!

Back