• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where should the monuments come home to?

Where do YOU feel the cenotaph's new home should be?

• Beechwood Cemetery

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Canadian National War Museum

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • NDHQ (Nortel Campus)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Elsewhere in Ottawa (post a comment explaining where/why)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
milnews.ca said:
I like the idea of sharing the monuments across Canada (not everybody gets to Ottawa to pay their respects) the best.

It's also possible, though, that this option could get complicated with families where one parent lives in x and another lives in y, leading to potential "wishbone" issues.

But also for those fallen with spouses & children living in 3rd, 4th, 5th etc etc locations.

I don't think leaving them over there, whether Afghanistan or UAE is an option. UAE's will be mowed down as soon as the local millionaires want the land for a mall, with no thought. For Afghanistan, if and when we 'all' (read ISAF, allies, et al) leave, certain locals will take great glee in destroying them and filming it for propaganda. This isn't Holland.

A revered place in the National Capitol for the originals and a grant towards total cost and common construction plans for any local community that wants to erect a replica. The replicas should be standardised and reflect the original but not outdo it.

One should be put in or around the 2 AMU passenger terminal here in Trenton.
Reasoning as follows

1. Its the beginning of the Highway of Heroes
2. All of the repats go through here.
3. Its a high traffic area that most of us will pass through at least once.
4. I am sure that given stewardship of the monument  8 Wing and 2 AMU would take very good care of it.
5. The National Airforce Museum is just down the road that  lots of people visit and it would be something that would be seen by a lot of ordinary Canadians with its close proximity.

As for adding memorials all across Canada I see it as a non issue. Most towns have cenotaphs to their fallen. The names of the local dead from Afghanistan should be included on them.

The others should be placed at the War Museum that way its there for all those who want to see it in an area that is within that context.

Just my View on the matter

I agree with Kat Steven's.
Screw Ottawa...
Our repatriated started  their
true journey home on the high-
way of Hero's. The monument
should go to C.F.B Trenton.
Just my 2 cents.
:salute: to our fallen.
I will remember you.  :cdn:
Best's Regard's,
Scoty B

My only concern with Trenton is that it should be someplace accessable to the public

Regardless of whether either of the memorials ends up in Ottawa, we ought to have something for Afghanistan here in the NCR, either at Beechwood or at the War Museum.

I found both of the memorials very beautiful and tasteful, and would like to see something like them replicated here, not unlike the American Vietnam memorial. But in particular the pictures of the troops are a very nice touch, and one I'd like to see preserved.

Personally I like the idea of the War Museum...I think they have done an excellent job and that room they have just does me in every time I go thru it and I tink they would do an excellent job of presenting it with the respect they deserve

For Trenton, the perfect place, in my opinion, would be on RCAF road (formerly AMDU Road for us "old folks").  Right at the intersection with former Highway 2, where the Highway of Heroes begins, right after "Repatriation Row" (as I've heard it called).  It's easily accessible, and a small dignified park could be created there, and there is already a small parking spot.  Yes, it's on a flight path, but isn't that fitting?  Every one of our returning fallen passed by their, and so have their families, in their time of grief.

As for Ottawa, there may be reason now to amend the National War Monument to include the inscription "Afghanistan 2001 - ????" (once it's all done).

Technoviking said:
For Trenton, the perfect place, in my opinion, would be on RCAF road (formerly AMDU Road for us "old folks").  Right at the intersection with former Highway 2, where the Highway of Heroes begins, right after "Repatriation Row" (as I've heard it called).

No its still called Highway 2 its not Repatriation Row. I have heard in circles that that is what people want to call that stretch of road. I think its a dumb idea.  it only focuses in on loss. Who wants to deploy on a potentially dangerous mission and travel down a street called Repatriation Row. 
I can see it now.
"Excuse me can you direct me and my family to 2 AMU I am deploying to Africa and I need to catch my plane"
"Why yes travel down the highway of Heroes and at the end you go to repatriation row. take right. drive down there until you hit Legless lane and once you get there enter into the PTSD memorial parking lot.  and your there at 2 AMU. Thanks for your service and safe"

So please never refer to  that section Highway 2 as Repatriation Row.

Grimaldus said:
Anywhere but Ottawa.

Trenton is an excellent choice

Why is everyone against putting them in Ottawa?  I am sure more people will be able to visit them at the CWM or the CMC in Beechwood, than in any of the 'smaller venues' elsewhere. 

Seriously.  Who really goes to Trenton?  Not many.  (Although the Air Force Museum is a nice visit)

I vote Ottawa.  Ensure it is somewhere it can be incorporated with the NCR Remembrance Day ceremony.

Shamrock said:
I vote Ottawa.  Ensure it is somewhere it can be incorporated with the NCR Remembrance Day ceremony.
I disagree.  As far as I know, there is but one monument in Ottawa that is "national", and it currently commemorates the fallen of WW1, WW2 and Korea (as far as I understand it).  I found a monument dedicated to the Boer War in Confederation Park, and the Korean War-specific monument is in Brampton.
mover1 said:
No its still called Highway 2 its not Repatriation Row. I have heard in circles that that is what people want to call that stretch of road. I think its a dumb idea.  it only focuses in on loss. Who wants to deploy on a potentially dangerous mission and travel down a street called Repatriation Row. 
I can see it now.
"Excuse me can you direct me and my family to 2 AMU I am deploying to Africa and I need to catch my plane"
"Why yes travel down the highway of Heroes and at the end you go to repatriation row. take right. drive down there until you hit Legless lane and once you get there enter into the PTSD memorial parking lot.  and your there at 2 AMU. Thanks for your service and safe"

So please never refer to  that section Highway 2 as Repatriation Row.
So, by your logic, the cenotaphs bearing the names of our fallen should be eliminated, and only put the names of those who came home on them?
We should NEVER forget our losses, ever.  But as I was just saying, I was referring to that stretch of road how it is known colloquially.

Anyway, I was thinking of this green space here

Back