• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where should the monuments come home to?

Where do YOU feel the cenotaph's new home should be?

• Beechwood Cemetery

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Canadian National War Museum

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • NDHQ (Nortel Campus)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Elsewhere in Ottawa (post a comment explaining where/why)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kiwi99 said:
Why not put it in jack Laytons or Iggys front yard, so everyday when they walk outside they can see the names of real Canadians, citizens with a set of plums etc.

You are downright EVIL.    :nod:

Taliban Jack's constituency office is here. Sadly, there's not much room right there but there is a nice piece of grass just a few metres away, at Queen Alexandra Public School - maybe the good folks in the Trinity-Spadina riding, who consistently vote for Layton, would be good custodians of a memorial.

E.R. Campbell said:
- maybe the good folks in the Trinity-Spadina riding, who consistently vote for Layton, would be good custodians of a memorial.

Although small geographically, it is very diverse. U of T ( the student vote ), Skydome, CNE, CN Tower, Metro Convention Centre, Kensington Market, Honest Ed's, Chinatown, Koreatown, Little Italy, Little Portugal, the Annex...

It's not unusual to see NDP, Liberal and Tory signs on the same lawn.

West of Bathurst, I would say mostly Liberal lawn signs. Joe Foti had an annual Bar-B-Q in his backyard that was famous.

Algonquin and Ward's Islands have a small but very political population that provides many campaign workers for the New Democrats. Certainly "a nice piece of grass".

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
When the Taliban take over again, because of short-sightedness of politicians, they will be destroyed. Remember the Buddha in central Afghanistan?

I can't see it surviving.

My $0.02 worth.

Regards

I tend to agree. Much as I would like to see it stay there, this is not like the CWGC sites in Europe, Asia, and/or the Mid East.

When the Legion was forced to leave Algeria in the 1960's they careflly disassembled all their monuments and took them with theri artifacts back to France where they found new homes. The Rhodeisan Light Infantry also smuggled their beloved "Troopie" monument out of Zimbabwe when Mugabe took over knowing he planned to desecrate it. The statue is now in a park in England.

The War Museum, the National Cemetary, or somewhere in Trenton would seem appropriate to me.

the 48th regulator said:
My Front yard.

I live 2 blocks away from one of the bridges that passes over the Highway of heroes.  :D

I agree with Infanteer, The War Museum would be  a perfect place, as they have plenty of space around the building.

dileas

tess

Wouldn't that upset the staff, I hear that they are not all that keen on the subject of the military and current ops.

Colin P said:
Wouldn't that upset the staff, I hear that they are not all that keen on the subject of the military and current ops.

Who gives a sh**? They can voice their displeasure at the ballot box like the rest of us if they don't like it. The CWM is the perfect place for the originals!

Now you may have been being facetious, but I'm not.

Colin P said:

Makes you wonder why their working at the War Museum...

Colin P said:

You are thinking of their "Masters" at the Museum of Civilization. 

NavyShooter said:
I fear that whomever may take over the current site after we leave will not be as understanding as the German army in WWII when they took France and left the Vimy (and other) monuments to the fallen untouched and undamaged.

Even now, there are Canadian World War graves in Germany and Japan. German POWs are interred in Kitchener, Ontario.

Fact of the matter is that, the enemies in those conflicts were ACTUALLY civilized (to a degree) militaries (with uniforms, governments, rules etc), not just a rag tag bunch of "religious" zealots trying to eradicate everything WESTERN.

These people crashed planes loaded with innocent civilians into buildings, they use little kids as bombs, etc....you think they would honour the sanctity of those monuments?

I certainly don't.

Being an outsider my suggestion would be to leave the memorial in place. The memories of the fallen live on with their families and their comrades. Their names are forever memorialized in their respective Regimental histories. As long as Canada remains free their sacrifice will not have been in vain. What better legacy can a soldier leave behind ?

People are more likely to travel the 401 and take a 20 minute detour to see something in Trenton rather than Get off the 417 and try to navigate through Ottawa. Otttawa traffic is insane. 
401 See's more cross Canada traffic than the 417.
Imagine putting it at NDMC or NDHQ? Not very user friendly places to try and visit.
Chances of the monument getting defaced in Ottawa compared to Trenton.

Conversely, those who visit Ottawa to see the War Museum constitute an audience with specific interests that would include seeing such a monument.

The War Museum has become the second most-visited attraction in the National Capital Region, going from around 120,000 visitors at its previous location on Sussex Drive to some 500,000 visitors yearly in its new home.

http://www.museedelaguerre.ca/cwm/media/press-releases/2010/the-canadian-war-museum-is-5-years-old

Grimaldus said:
People are more likely to travel the 401 and take a 20 minute detour to see something in Trenton rather than Get off the 417 and try to navigate through Ottawa. Otttawa traffic is insane. 
401 See's more cross Canada traffic than the 417.
Imagine putting it at NDMC or NDHQ? Not very user friendly places to try and visit.

Without getting into specifics of this place vs. that, I like Grimaldus' idea of putting it where a whole lot of Canadians are likely to see it without having to make a special trip. Although it is fairly ON/QC oriented a small park at a public rest stop on/near the 401, or something like that somewhere (e.g. Hy 2 in AB), has merit.

Now, my recommendation wasn't for a national Afghan War monument: that clearly needs to be designed and erected in Ottawa, our national capital.  My recommendation was for the one specific monument that used to be at Camp Mirage.  That one monument I think deserves to be placed in Trenton, in the same place (and manner) as I previously pointed out.  Its purpose I see as a memorial for the fallen.  An Afghan War Monument in Ottawa would serve to commemorate all who served, and the sacrifices they and their families made on behalf of the country.

Yes, when I was thinking of the memorial it was the one at CM.  It belongs at Trenton.  Continuity.  You've said it the way I should have earlier Techno.

Grimaldus said:
People are more likely to travel the 401 and take a 20 minute detour to see something in Trenton rather than Get off the 417 and try to navigate through Ottawa.

I personally don't like to get off the 401 for any other reason than get gas at a rest platz and my final destination.  Twenty minutes would turn into a much longer time for me, when I get lost trying to find said monument(s).

;D

Grimaldus said:

Monuments getting defaced happens everywhere.  Chances are no more likely in Ottawa, than anywhere else in Canada. 

Perhaps we should put them in Holland.  The Dutch respect our monuments and graves much more than Canadians do.    >:D

George Wallace said:
Perhaps we should put them in Holland.  The Dutch respect our monuments and graves much more than Canadians do.    >:D

Regarding Holland. ( Which many already know. )
General H.D.G. Crerar, who commanded Canadian land forces in Europe, ordered that Canadian soldiers were not to be buried in German soil. It is believed that only one Canadian soldier from the Second World War is interred in Germany.
However, many Canadian airmen are in the less visited ( especially by Canadian media ) CWGC cemeteries in Germany:

"Many of the Canadian airmen killed in bombing raids over Germany are buried in the war cemeteries at Reichswald Forest and Rheinberg, near the Dutch border, Berlin, and Durnbach near Munich.":
http://www.cwgc.org/admin/files/Canada%20MG.pdf

Grimaldus said:
Chances of the monument getting defaced

Considering the location I've seen mulled over here the most is the grounds at War Museum, I'd tend to agree with you. Remember, the grounds are used throughout the summer for various music festivals, and that would make the Mirage Monument a VERY easy target for the various "individuals" these festivals attract. One exceptionally charismatic "Anti-Bush sponsored war" rant from one of the red-eyed longhair'd "artists" is all it would take for the thing to be smashed to bits.

I'm not opposed to the idea of an Afghan War monument in Ottawa, but the monument we're speaking of was, in essence, built FOR THE SOLDIERS of Canada in Afghanistan. With that in mind, I actully believe it should be relocated to the CFLRS, for every new recruit into our Forces to see and appreciate. Call me what you will, but I believe that would be the most effective, and proper location.

I know many people think "Trenton" because that's where the repatriation happened. Consider this; the fallen began their lives as soldiers at BMQ at a recruit school. This war has shown what our soldiers, and country for that matter, are made of and how dedicated they are. This is where the "making of a soldier" begins.

George Wallace said:
I personally don't like to get off the 401 for any other reason than get gas at a rest platz and my final destination.  Twenty minutes would turn into a much longer time for me, when I get lost trying to find said monument(s).

;D

Monuments getting defaced happens everywhere.  Chances are no more likely in Ottawa, than anywhere else in Canada. 

Its the Taliban...i think they will deface it differently then some unruly drunken teenagers...BIG difference, I didn't think I needed to explain something so utterly simple to fellow grown ups.

Back